WFF Stillwater Series_9: Fly Fishing In Winter

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,236 / 9
    Nice nice nice. Thank you Mr. Fenders.
  3. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    Excellent writeup. Got my license again and ready to roll. Hoping to hit Lone this weekend depending upon the weather. I must have missed your 8th posting.
  4. guitarfisher Jeff W.

SLC, UT
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Thanks for another excellent article. Lone has become my winter fishery of choice. I've experienced some beautiful, productive mid-days there lately. :thumb:
  5. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,000 / 0
    Nicely written. The dragonfly nymph is REALLY good advice on certain lakes. Tie it with weighted eyes so it rides hookpoint up, and keep it close to the bottom. On some lakes a leech will still beat it though. Bloodworms should be a go to pattern in winter, even if you aren't big on chronomid fishing. The six pack looks just like a secret weapon in my fly-box, but I tie it with a black beadhead. It's -2 F right now, so I'm going to wait an hour to warm up before I head out fishing today.
  6. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Its soooo true that you build up a tolerance to the cold. When I first went fishing in the cold, I was frozen quickly but not I am getting used to it.
  7. John Dougher Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Good article.
    Thanks!
  8. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0

I tie both and keep both in my fly box. Sometimes the nymph will work better than the leech and vice/versa. To switch off one for the other is pure foolishness. In some lakes there are an abundances of leeches and not to use the leech pattern might not work. It isn't wise to "go cold turkey off the leech."
  9. Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Haristene Isl. Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Another great article, love the fly pictures.:)
  10. gdbrill Tight Lines

Redmond, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Nice Job, I'm enjoying your entire series. Was there a number 8 in the series?
  11. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Appreciate that. :thumb: #8 is a few threads down if you scroll to Dec 24 posts (#7 is in front of it at the moment).
  12. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +685 / 0
    On another forum, there was a question about fishing lowland lakes in winter. I offered the following as at least a partial explanation:

The lower metabolic rate that cold blooded animals experience when the temperature drops means that a fish simply will not move so far in pursuit of prey, so the radius in which it might pursue a fly will drop, perhaps dramatically so. That means you have to pretty much put your fly on the fishes nose, compared to those mid-summer days, when a fish will pursue from quite a distance some times.

Considering that the volume of water a fish might 'hunt' in diminishes by the cube of the radius a fish will move, we can do a simple mathematical calculation. The volume of a sphere is pi times r cubed. If a fish at 36ºF will move only one foot to pursue a prey item, but will move 3 feet at 56ºF, the space you need to hit at 36ºF will be ca. 3.2 cubic feet, whereas at 56ºF, it will be ca. 86 cubic feet, or 27 times as much water!

Dick
  13. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ford: Whats #10 going to be about? (hint.... hint.. hint...) :)
  14. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Where was Richard when I was stealing quotes for this stuff? None of my statistical science even came close to his masterful blending of Algebra and Geometry to create fish math. If I did WFFSS_10 it would only be to quote Richard's formula. :thumb:
  15. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    "Fish Math". I love it! Kind of like fuzzy math or voodoo economics?

Say the fishing is just fast and furious in a lake that's very cold and half froze over... Using fish math would lead us to visions of fish suspended like stacked cord wood. Awesome!

Maybe they are all huddling together to stay warm on these days.:)
  16. LakeLuster New Member

Eastern wa
    I'm new to this forum and one of the first things I spotted on here was your stillwater series. Great reads, all installments. Ive learned a bunch already. Thanks!
  17. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    LL - Thanks for the feedback, and welcome to the board!
    :beer2: