Wffc out of Mercer Island

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ricklea1953, Nov 24, 2007.

1. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

As someone brand new to the sport, I have been trying to contact the washington fly fishing club out of mercer island. I have seen their website. I have made two or three attempts to contact them with no response.

I like their group outings and monthly meetings along with some educational opportunities for beginners. Does anyone know if the club deals with saltwater beach fishing? Does anyone know of a better way to try to make contact? I guess, most importantly, are they still active?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

They are still going after more than 60 years. We have our fly tying classes on Mercer Island but the club meets every third Tuesday at the College Club at 6th and Madison in Seattle and will be moving to the Seattle Tennis Club in January. A number of us, including me and Les, are members and post on this board.

Leland.

3. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Thanks,
    But I will pass on the membership. I should have recognized the mercer island meeting place as a problem for my finances.

Rick

4. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Okay Leland. Do you have the specifics? Don't want to end up spending my annual salary for meetings at a mercer island tennis club.

Can you give me the run down on the club's agenda and cost? Do they address the saltwater? How can I find out what the dues are? Can I attend a meeting without joining to see what goes on?

Lastly, why has nobody bothered to answer my last two or three e-mails?

Rick

5. Preston

Preston Active Member

You can go to the WFFC's website (www.wffc.com) for all of the information you want. I don't know where you get the idea that the meetings are held on Mercer Island; they are currently held at the College Club in downtown Seattle and, starting in January, they will be held at the Seattle Tennis Club in Madison Valley. The WFFC is proud of its reputation as a service organization and, from its inception, has worked to be a positive force in promoting the ethics of flyfishing, conservation and education.

To become a member, it is necessary to attend at least three meetings as a guest and to be sponsored by two current members. This may sound a bit intimidating but it really isn't; contact the club and ask for further details. All of the meetings are dinner meetings and, after the move to the tennis club, dinner tickets will be $27.00 (but you don't have to buy a ticket and eat if you don't wish to). There is a (loosely enforced) dress code and coat and tie are recommended at most meetings.

You will be pressured to join one of the committees; I'm co-chairman of the Conservation Committee and can assure you that we are very happy to have as many attendees at our (usually) monthly meetings as possible.

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Rick, I've read a few of your recent posts and have noticed a similar thread . . .

Just an observation, but you emailed shops about 6 weight rods, and were a little put off that some didn't respond. Similarly, you emailed the WFFC, and are a little put off that no one responded.

I realize these two activities are a little different, in that the WFFC doesn't have a phone number to contact anyone, and the contacts are via email. Clubs have volunteers, and maybe the person you contacted is on vacation, only checks their email every few days, or maybe you contacted the wrong person, whatever. Be patient. However, respective to fly shops, they have phones, and if you don't get action via email, a phone call would be appropriate.

I'm in a business that requires a lot of coordination and direction, and communication is huge. Email is a very common medium, and I get a ton each, but if something is very important to me and/or requires immediate action, whether it's personal or for work, I get on the phone and make sure I get someone.

Again, just an observation . . .

7. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Alright Richard,
    I am sure you are right and I appreciate the input. Hope I didn't offend anybody, especially you. These folks have all been most helpful.

I will back out for a while and just observe. Maybe I have been too agressive. At the same time, maybe I am trying to chase a new passion and don't have a lot of patience.

I am retired military and sometimes I accused of being a little impatient. At least that's what my wife tells me.

Sorry and most respect for your observations,
    Rick

8. Rick, you might want to investigate the Overlake Fly Fishing Club as well. www.offc.org alot of good guys and gals over there.