What’s your story?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Hartman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Your avatar makes me jealous!:)

2. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    I'll buy that. I see the potential and believe that there are big fish there, I will go back. Every fish I caught was just called 4 inches bigger by all the guys around me than it actually was. that's all I was saying :)

3. BlueCrop

BlueCrop eat more fruit

Only waders I've ever owned that leaked EVERY time I wore them. Repaired 4 or 5 times. Leaked first time out every time. Sent new waders 3 different times and they leaked out of the box every time. Other than that they were sweet!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

iagree:thumb:

That is so funny! My wife used to take the calls from guys like you. In fact, she used to giggle about some of the calls. She would get calls from old-timers who would say in a drawl "gotta' leaky crouch in my waders, need to send them back to you to fix my leaky crouch"

4. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

after reading all these posts I guess I'll put my 2 cents in the kitty too. I don't really remember the first time I went fishing, but story goes that my Mom didn't want to go hiking and voted w/ us kids to go fishing 'cuz it was more relaxing. I must've been about 4, next thing of quality was catching my first fish, in a fishing family that's a landmark experience.. I was 6, in the 4th grade I learned about flytying from the 6th grade teacher and my dad loved it cuz now he didn't have to buy flies, only he didn't realize that all those materials cost money too. I have been tying ever since. As a kid the rule was if the lawn didn't get mowed before dad got up on saturday morning we were'nt going fishing - that was all the motivation I needed - the grass usually was done friday night:) We went fishing almost every weekend in the spring, summer and fall - we never went in the winter because mom didn't like freezing. I hooked my first steelhead one summer on vacation and I remember the shocked look on my brother and parents face when I presented them with that "big fish" for supper. After HS I would sucker my friends into driving me somewhere to go fishing, I can't walk by a peice of water without checking to see if there's anything hitting the surface - a curse according to a former GF who just wanted a romantic evening at the lake, and instead got a lesson in fishing...oops!! I later met a guy who was looking for an unexperienced fishing guide to take to alaska - I signed the dotted line, I'd never fished for salmon in a river, the rest is history - I'm at the river each fall till those fish start floating back down. I'll always be fishing in someway or another and now have been able to share this passion with alot of other friends too. I work at a hospital in DT seattle to pay for my fishing and home life.
    That's my story....

5. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Media:
    Home Page:
    "You all know me you know what I do for a living..." Quint... Jaws 1 favortite movie and quote.

I am 19. Have flyfished since the age of three. Caught my first 20 wild pound rainbow at the age of 7. Landed my first steelhead at the age of 13 on a spawning purple greased line on the Deschutes, first Tarpon at the age of 15. I have landed steelhead in 27 different rivers and creeks, and one in a pond...

I guide for a local shop and a outfitter. I also work at a tool and die company and have been a tool maker part time since the age of 12. I have 120 college credits and will have my degree in business management this spring if all goes well. God bless running start. I am going to the U of M next fall and plan to go to law school in the next few years. Oh yeh I cant spell with out microsoft word.

I fish 100 or so days a year, or much more if you feel like calling evenings a day of fishing. Steelhead are sexually frustrated stupid trout that are suprizingly easy to catch, but they are my passion second to tarpon. My thoughts on life are below...

1. Wild steelhead are the most amazing thing that will ever live.
    2. Woman are easy. You just have to make it classy.
    3. Tarpon are beyond classification. Just catch one, and try to forget what happened. Other wise you will never want to catch a silly steelhead again.
    4. The biggest life changin event in my life was being hit as a pedestrian by a drunk driver when I was six. I still have scars.
    5. Skiing is fun until you crash on a practice race on the Birds of Prey down hill course in Beaver Creek. Then skiing is gay... when you regain concousness.
    6. We all should just fish. Its all fishing. Fish how you can catch fish that particular day, dont worry how the guy next to you is fishing.
    7. Rick and Andy are probably my long lost brothers.
    8. Bow hunting is third, but i am torching a big orn sheep next year!!!

Thats me.

6. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I met this one on craigslist. She initially wanted to charge me 200 roses for an hour, but later I talked her down to 50 roses and a fly casting lesson.:p The fly casting lesson lasted much longer than our session....

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Posted by Mark Bove'
    Collage: A design or picture made up of pieces of paper

college: a place you go to study and party, but really party, and no so much study.

Lawyer: A really immoral occupation that finances really cool fishing trips around the world.

Good luck man!

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I'll chip in my $0.02. My wife and I moved to the Seattle are on a whim (and a job opportunity) in July '03 after a brief educational stint in California. I actually grew up in the mountains of Colorado, but despite all of the skiing, hiking, and mountain biking I could sneak in I somehow never fished much (only the occasional party fishing boat on family vacations to Florida). On our first Holiday season here my wife surprised me with a fly-tying kit "so that I'd have something to do during the winter". Well, I figured if I was going to tie them I'd better learn how to fish with them, and I've been hooked ever since. Of course in 4 years I'm up to four rods (one of which I built), tons of fly tying materials, one pontoon, one float tube, lots of specialized clothing, a 24/7 need to be on this site... You guys all know the addiction.

9. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

My story:

Raised by wolves....yada yada yada.....

Pretty borring.

10. EMPyre

EMPyre Erich with an H -Top Water Soldier-

Media:
    This place is crack for fishers with a day job. I've been in trouble at work on more than one occasion!

11. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Be 70 next birthday. Been fishing all my life. Born in Michigan and traveled a lot as a guest of the US Navy. Finally dropped anchor in Western Washington back in 85. Thats 1985 by the way.

Was a gear chucker until earlier this year when I got a bug (fly) up my backside to try fly fishing. My wife screamed, "not another hobby." You see I don't have hobbies I have obsessions. So hear I am with two new rod & reel combos (5 & 9 wts), with rainbows, cutthroats and a chum or two in the log already. As I write this little diddy I have just finished tying several flys with my brand new fly tying arrangement.

My wife would say, "What is wrong with you." So is anyone interested in a garage full of gear chucking equipment from bass to salmon to hallibut. I need to make room for all my new fly fishing gear that is on my list.

By the way I have a 2nd cousin who lives in Kalispel. Been around some the local waters over there but never wet a line yet.

Mike

12. NewFlyLady

NewFlyLady New Member

Ok, I'll play. Not saying how old I am but I am looking forward to an early retirement in the next few years. Started out mostly bass fishing by myself as the spouse at that time didn't really like fishing that much. That relationship came to an end ( thank God) because after that I met the man that I am currently married to and who is an avid flyfisherman. Some of our first dates were him teaching me how to cast. Our first trip together was a week camping on the Madison. Now we have a home in Nor Cal and Montana on the Madison and a 5th wheel in Ferndale. I work in Canada 2 weeks a month and from home two weeks. During the winter it is from California and during the spring/summer/fall it is from Montana. Have not fished much in Wa and not lately in Ca. Most of my fishing is for rainbows and browns in Montana. My goal is to get a 25+" brown and rainbow on the Madison.

13. junebug41

junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Media:
    Yes! Let's make it a hat trick for the Mainers!

I was born and raised in the town of Wayne, Maine, a suburb (read: rural town of 700) of Maine's glorious capital (read: run-down husk of a former mill town), Augusta. I loved and still love Maine more than any place on earth. It remains my only true home, though I've lived in Seattle since 1997.

I grew up fishing strictly ultralight spinning gear, catching bass and maneating pickerel as often as trout, but the dazzling plumage of the brook trout has always completely mesmerized me. My only flyfishing experience as a kid came when we camped on a flyfish-only lake in Baxter S.P. I was about 12, and stayed out in the canoe well after dark, cussing bitterly at my inability to catch anything or even put a decent cast out to any of the many rising trout. I flogged that water helplessly while a grazing bull moose looked on in amusement. I had vivid memories of how frustrating it was for a long time, and happily went back to the spinning rod.

I lost my way, fishing-wise, while in college at UMaine. Only got out a few times over six years or so. By the time I graduated in '97 and moved to Washington, I could no longer say I was a fisherman. Moving to the city for the first time in my life only made things worse. I was swallowed up in the urban life, and the working life. I viewed the rivers and mountains of my new state of residence only from a distance.

Somehow, I snapped out of it in about 2001. It was like one day I woke up and remembered who I was. I didn't know anybody who was as interested in really experiencing the outdoors as I was, so I took off constantly to look for lakes that looked interesting on the map. I'd just be out there bushwhacking alone from morning to dusk and beyond, coming home bruised and bloody, to the point where The Girl started getting seriously worried. It was a fantastic time. I was still throwing spinning gear with a tiny ultralight.

A friend of mine from when I worked at Amazon got into flyfishing shortly after we met, but we only got out once (me still spinning) before he moved back east to West Virginia. There, he bloomed into a complete addict. When he moved back to Seattle in 2004, he treated me to a float trip with Joe Rotter on the Yak. I recounted for the hundredth time my bitter memories of flycasting, and insisted that I was going to use my spin rig. Upon meeting Joe in the canyon, however, he smiled, pointed at my ultralight, and said "You're not bringing that in my boat."

To make a long story less long, a new addict was born that day. Joe is an incredible ambassador for the sport of flyfishing. He was patient, thorough, and every time I did what he said, a fish struck. The only time I've learned more about fishing than I did that day was the second time I went on a trip with Joe.

It's been all about the fly(tm) ever since. I've never been able to stand being pathetic at anything, so I hit the books and starting researching, figuring I could make up some ground. I was reading books, magazines, web sites, fly shop fishing reports from Washington and Montana, just trying to absorb. To this day, I'm a research maniac.

The result today is a dedicated, knowledgable, but somewhat crudely skilled flyfisherman. I know I don't throw a picture-perfect loop or a surgical mend from 40 feet. I make up for a lot by reading and understanding the water, which is why I get confounded by big rivers. I have never caught a steelhead in at least 30 tries. I can never accept that the water over here is as promising as the water over there, so I probably take more unplanned swims than any other human alive. I like catching fish, but I love being on the river and sleeping on the ground.

I don't believe I have ever met anyone through the WFF, though I have cheerfully corresponded and commiserated with a number of folks and have tried to line up schedules for a day out a few times. I keep trying to get out there for the Dry Falls trip and remedy this situation.

Chris, we're kindred spirits. These west-coasters can't understand the pain of not having access to real Pizza... and Dunkin' Donuts is literally a way of life for a native Mainer.

14. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Born in Seattle, '69.

Fished the Sound and local lakes/streams starting at about age 2 (thanks Pa)

Grandparents lived on the beach just north of Pt Williams, So I spent many a day in the 70's fishing Lincoln and Lowman parks for rezzies and cutts...alone.

Caught the steelhead bug at 14...I used to ride the Metro #214 to fall city to go steelheading, before I could drive.

I dropped out of high school, partly because of my fishing obsession.

I got a job as an offloader/hand on a floater in the winter of '88/'89, spent just enough time in the Bering Sea to know that there had to be an easier way to make money to finance fishing trips.

Started commercial fishing spring and summer in AK at the age of 20. Made enough cash longlining and gillnetting to come home in the fall, buy food and gas, then head out in the nasty old toyota truck with the mattress and cooler in the back for 4 1/2 months of salmon and steelhead fishing, cruisin' up and down I-5, I-90, 20, and 101, hittin all the anadromous rivers. I have probably fished 80% of western washington's steelhead rivers at least once...

Moved to AK permanently in '95 to gain residency for school purposes...Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BS in Fisheries Science, a BS in Aquaculture, and an AS in Seafood technology.

I was approached by an outfitter as to the possibility of being a fill-in guide in 2002...I now do about 75-100 client/days per year, mostly spring, some fall.

Found this board while back at Rancho Ma n Pa for christmas one year...knew a few guys on it, met a few more, got some good advice from some, ignored a whole lot of crappy advice from others, and did it all with a smile.

Not as good as JB's "I was raised by wolves, yadda yadda" but it'll have to do, pig.

Mark

15. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mark, I wish I knew that when I was your age...26 years have past since I was that young, 18 of them I've spent married, and I still don't know a damn thing about women!

16. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    I was born a poor black child, and was forced into Bill Dance's slave labor camps until age 19. Then I escaped. My name is Earl.

17. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    I'm a drinkerman with a fishing problem.

18. billkendrick831@msn.com

billkendrick831@msn.com Northsounder

Born in Baltimore city, MD.Baitfished the Gunpowder river for Browns,fished the Chesapeake bay for Stripers,perch, and catfish.
    Joined the Army in 86 to escape the big bad city.Landed in FT.Lewis and took up everything outdoors,mountbiking,climbing,kayaking,etc..Took up gearfishing for searuns in 94,cruised the southsound in various boats and kayaks fishing and crabbing,also lived aboard a 34 ' cabincruiser for a while.Met my wife in 97 and moved around in a RV for 4 years with 2 mountainbikes on the front and 2 kayaks on the roofrack.Fished SoCal saltwater out of a kayak with plastic swimbaits and it was a blast.Went to Maine for 6 months,moved back to S.D. then came back to WA. 4 years ago.As soon as I got back I was into the searuns again with spoons.My wifes Grandma gave me a G.loomis 6 wt. flyrod and reel for Christmas a few years ago and since she lived on the Cedar river I flyfished her place with good results.Now I'm flyfishing for salmon and steelhead with a 8 wt. with
    no fish for 10-15 outings,but I can't get enough.I now consider Puget sound my home water and home.
    I miss the eastcoast subshops too.Phillys,pizzaburgers and Pollock Johnnies dogs,good stuff.Bluecrabs too! I'm also addicted to this website.

19. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    Ha ha ha,

Even worse Mingo for me, guess how I got out of saying all those Hail Mary's and Our Father's as a kid...you know the rest of it...

20. FT

FT Active Member

I grew up in a little village near Hazleton, PA, which is about 100 miles north of Philly, about 20 miles west of the Poconos, about 50 miles from Allentown, PA, about 90 miles from Harrisburg, PA, and about 140 miles from NYC. Started fishing at age 3 and fly fishing at age 5, my Dad taught me. I'm now 54 and have been fly fishing some 49 years now.

I learned how to tie flies at age 9 because I got tired of hearing Dad complaining about the crappy flies he would find in local sporting goods stores and he didn't like having to wait up to a month before he could get flies from the Dettes, Art Flick, or Dan Bailey's when he was getting low on some of his favorites.

I fished many of the famous waters in the Catskills of NY and PA. I moved to MT in 1979, stayed until 1991, and got to fish a lot of the blue ribbon and not so well-known (but excellent fisheries) rivers in MT. I met my wife in MT, and she also likes to fly fish. I then moved to WA state in 1991, where I went nuts over steelhead and got into 2-handed rods and spey casting in 1993.

I've been very fortunate throughout my life in that I've gotten to meet, know, and become friends with some of the most widely recognized and best fly fishermen and fly tyers, all of whom contributed something that increased my knowledge or skills as a fly fishermen or fly tyer. I've also been fortunate to get to know some of the folks who design rods and lines.