What’s your story?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Hartman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

lifelong washingtonian since 1986. Joined the board in 2003 I think. Sort of forgot about it, and then rejoined while I was out of state in 2005 at college. Transfered back to UW, got addicted to steelhead and havent looked back.

2. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    NW born and raised. Naturally I am biased toward Washington being the best state in the union. Anyways, been fishing in Washington since I was 4ish. Started fly fishing 5 years ago. Learned to fly fish from a buddy who took me to Rocky Ford for my first fly trip. I didn't catch a damn thing when I was there, but I still fell in love with the sport. Been fishing lakes around home since then, mostly, as well as the upper reaches of rivers on the Peninsula. With new found mobility, I am slowly learning how to fish rivers more effectively. So yeah, at the ripe old age of 16, that's all the history I have...

Boot, that is quite the yarn, it was great.

-Ethan

3. knothead

knothead Banned or Parked

Media:
    Born 1957, in Walla Walla WA. Started fly fishing around 8, with my grand father on return trips to the land of many waters. Remember many a summer evening heading out across the wheat fields, the back way to Thornhollow on the Umatilla. Fished the Umatilla and Meachum creek, never got skunked. Fly of choice was the Royal Coachman. Got our flys from Drumhellars in Walla Walla, a good old fashioned hardware store.
    Been involved with the commercial fishing industries in Ballard for thirty years. Commercial fished the Bering Sea and Sea of O. King Crab.
    Now that our children are grown I have a little more time to devote to fishing. Steelhead has been my obsession the last couple of years. My goal is to catch a Native winter fish this year, oh yeah, and be a good steward of the fishery. Fish mostly on my own. Snoqaulmie is my home water, can catch a fish and be home in time to tuck my 2 1/2 yr. old and 8 mos. old into bed,(adopted, that good steward thing). Stopped chasing women and hanging out in the honkytonk some time ago, so the wife is fairly lenient with regards to my pass time.

Peace

4. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Born in the early '50's in Southern Idaho, taught myself to fly fish in high school and was hooked. Caught some largish trout - 8 lbs or so from Mormon Res. and Magic Res. on flies, learned the S. Fk, E. Fk of the S. Fk. Salmon R., and Johnson Creek after it flows out of Landmark. Dad was called up in the Cuban missile crisis, and we spent a lifetime in Lacey while Dad was stationed for a long year at Ft. Lewis. Caught my first salmon off Pt. Defiance the year I was 10. Shot my first pheasant when I was 11, with a bolt action Mossberg .410, killed my first deer when I was 12, my first elk the year I turned 16. Caught my first Clearwater Steelhead when I was 19. Got my master's in '79 and moved to the Puget Sound area, and fished the Green R. in its heyday before it got more famous for dead bodies than steelhead. Spent a few years in the Portland area, caught the fictitious spring salmon there, and also came to know the Tillamook hogs. Caught 3 over 40 lbs. one day with my older son. Both my boys caught their first steelhead when they were 6 years old. Nick got his in the headworks stretch of the Green on a steelie spoon he casted like he was swinging a baseball. Sam got his on the Washougal on a sand shrimp.

I caught my first fly caught steelhead on the Green between Soos Creek and Flaming Geyser, on a fly I tied myself (Dragonfly skater), on leader I tied up, on a rod I built myself. Was so excited I set my rod on top of the truck and drove off with it still up there - never saw it again. I miss the old days, and still remember when you could expect to catch something when you hit the river.

My story can't hold up to Boot's, but have met some interesting characters - Dixie, John Spellman, Bob Packwood, and Mark Hatfield to name a few. I have caught Tarpon to 153# at Homosassa, bonefish in Belize and Mexico, salmon in AK, BC, OR and WA, sturgeon over 6' long, and I will still prefer steelhead on a swung fly over any of them. Got divorced after 33 years - too fucking stupid to realize what dying a slow death was - and am starting to learn what I love about being on the river all over again.

5. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    My fishing fetish began before I knew what fishing was.

It first started as a fascination for water at a very early age...

Right after I started walking my mother told me I was a handfull. At the time my dad was stationed at Fort Lewis during Viet Nam. It was winter time and at the age of two I thought it was a good idea to go swimming so I bolted towards the shores of American lake, but to no avail, was snatched away at the last second by my mothers quick reflexes...

My second curiousity with water was when I was around 4 years old. We visited my uncle, who at the time lived next to the Nisqually River. As you can guess the sound of running water was calling my name and I wanted to get a closer look at the edge of an undercut on the bank. This time it was my uncle that saved me from a disasterous fate, all the while yelling at me saying "don't you know that damn river will sweep you away?!" He did freak me out with with his tone, but how was I to know what the river could have done to me? I thought it looked kind of cool moving real fast.

It wasn't until my grandfather taught me the ways of the water. Nebraska born, and Montana raised, his love for fishing began on the shores of Martinsdale Reservoir near the town of Harlowton, then the Nisqually River for steelhead, and various bodies of water from Alaska to the Puget Sound during his military days.

I still have the memories when he took me out, and the picture of me holding in front of my face the first stringer of trout I caught from the banks of Barlow Pond in Lakeview South of Tacoma.

Now thirty-nine years later, from the salt water of Puget Sound to the banks of Silver Creek in Pecabo Idaho, i've tried to fish for just about anything that has dorsal and pectoral fins, sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Either way when I go out to fish a body of water it doesn't matter if I catch any fish. If I do it's a bonus.

I just love being outside and on the water.............

6. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Born in 1957. My mother was the product of Austrian Immigrants escaping WWI and my father was born in a log cabin to George Washington Wilson who came to the Washington Territory for the land grants. I was concieved in the hills, raised in the hills, and will probably die in the hills. My death will most likely be an epic battle between a Grizzly Bear who wants to take my fishing hole and me. I have been fishing small mountain creeks, streams, and rivers since I can remember. I have been fly fishing for 15+ years.
    For fun, I Coach high school football and wrestling, and I teach history too. I also find time to brew beer, and four wheel the jeep trails in the Chinook and White Pass areas. There is nothing better than camping for a week of solitude at your faviorite camp site.

7. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dave great thread.

Well, I grew up in Yelm on the wet side. I fished all my life with gear even though my uncle and father were avid steelheader with the fly rod. About 7 years ago I got into fly fishing and I guess that was the end of my life as a productive member of society. I now devote most all my free time to fly fishing, mainly for trout but I do love to steelhead. About the same time I started fly fishing I moved away from Washington to Boston, then New Hampshire, then and now North Carolina. I have chased trout all the way. Eventually if western North Carolina doesn't win over my heart I will move back to Washington to finish out my days chaseing anadramous fish.

8. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I want to be there for Mike's epic battle. My money says the bear taps out. Sorry for the diversion- back to your regularly schedule programming...

I was born in Seattle on the first day of 1963, though not the first baby of the New Year, so my folks got neither prize money nor diaper service- just a pain in the ass that interrupted their New Year's Eve Party. I guess I liked fishing as much as any kid- worms and bobbers for the occasional trip to a lake; Dick Knights or whatever lure was in the tackle box for bullheads (sculpin), flounders or whatever else prowled the waters near Tahuya, where my family has had a place since 1967. A buddy of my dad's got me interested in fly-fishing when I was about 12, but my dad was never much for fishing or outdoor pursuits so after a few years my interest waned. Threatened over the years to get back into it, but life and kids delayed that until a couple years ago when I finally reconnected with the sport. I fish when I can, but it's not an obsession...when I have free time, however, I can't think of anything else I'd rather do than throw a bug. After 20 years of working for corporate employers I found myself unemployed and decided I would try to make a buck as a freelance graphic designer and illustrator, which I do. Not enough money, but the commute is good, and I'm a recluse so I don't need the social interaction found near a water cooler. I also teach Traditional Taekwon-Do but not for money. Oh, and I'm a crimson-blooded WSU Cougar alumni which is where I met my wife. I have two teenage kids who make me proud every single day thanks to their mother's influence. She's a great lady who also happens to be my wife of 18+ years.

9. jasmillo

jasmillo Member

Rick...what was the name of the burger joint in West Hartford?? There is a great pizza joint in West Hartford called Luna Pizza (there are a few locations). It's my favorite pizza in CT. Not New Haven or New York style...pretty unique- great stuff.

I'm 31 and also an east coast transplant from the Connecticut. Moved here in in September of 2006. I myself also miss east coast pizza, so much that I have stopped buying it and have resorted to making it myself. Also, like Mr. Puma I also sometimes miss Dunkin Donuts and their watered down yet wonderfully palatable coffee as well as the little Italian/Greek restaurants in every strip mall you come accross that tend to serve great Chicken Parm's and other assorted other grinders!!

Anyway, I have been flyfishing for about 10 years. Although I grew up on the Farmington River in CT, which is one of the best rivers in New England, I did not start flyfishing until I went to college at the University of Montana. Overall I spent about 6 years in Missoula (went to grad school too) and loved every second of it. Even though I was working and going to school full-time I found time to fish nearly every fishable day possible! It was great! In fact, I nearly put off finishing my thesis for another semester just so I could stay an additional summer and flyfish. Unfortuntely, I couldn't justify the additonal expense (or convince the wife it was a good idea) and I was forced to move back to CT. For the next few years I fly-fished the Farmington and Housatonic Rivers as well as numerous small streams throughout the state of CT. However, the itch to get back out west got to both the wife and I and we moved to Seattle last year. Since I moved here I have found some decent trout fishing close to my place in Redmond and I have had the opportunity to travel to MT and OR to fish this past summer. Over the next year or so, I hope to spend a lot of time learning the Salmon/Steelhead fisheries here in WA. So my guess is that I'll be posting my "First Steelhead" thread in about 2012! Ok...so I'm being optimistic :D. My problem is that I hate combat fishing (one of the main reason I left the east coast in the first place) and that has kept me away from attempting Salmon/Steetlhead thus far. At least I can hike a bit and find some solitude on the trout streams in the "area".

In any case, WFF has been a great help since I got here. Lot's of good info on patterns, techniques, products, etc. Plus, those "other" threads are always entertaining....

10. shutupnfish

shutupnfish New Member

Shut up and fish

11. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    That burger joint/ bar was called "Plan B" . Very impressed. :)

12. zeelander

zeelander New Member

Home Page:
    I grew up in California and after graduating HS went out to travel the world. Treked it surfing, snowboarding, and fishing until I slowed a bit and decided to live in one place again. Wa was the best place I'd ever been to so decided to live here. Best decision I ever made... well that and marrying my wife. :thumb:

Z

13. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Born 1962 in Harrisburg, PA. My Dad first took me fishing when I was 6 or 7 but he wasn't an avid fisherman. But it didn't take long to get the fishing bug on my own. I was just a hook and bobber fisherman early on, catching bluegills, bass and bullheads in small farmers ponds and on the ponds on nearby golf courses.

When I joined the Boy Scouts, I got to fish rivers, creeks and lakes with friends on camping trips throughout South Central Pennsylvania mostly using ultra light spinning gear. When I was 13, I made my first fishing expedition to fish for Bluefish in the Chesapeake Bay where I remember catching a ten pound Blue on 6lb test line. I was about 14 when I got my first fly rod. I mostly fished for smallmouth bass and bluegills with it. I probably fished 3 or 4 days a week in the Summer throughout high school. Then I graduated and went to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy for college. After graduating from there in 1984, I seldom fished after my Coast Guard career got underway eventhough I was stationed in many good fishing locations and many of my jobs involved fisheries enforcement work.

After I retired from the Coast Guard and moved back to Seattle, I finally got the fly fishing bug back....thank God! I mostly target trout and I prefer to fish small streams. Around home, I mostly fish the Snoqualmie Forks and other rivers and streams in their vicinity. My wife and I also have a cabin up in Okanogan County where I fish the small creeks and rivers in the area a couple weekends a month when they are open to fishing. We also usually go to Central Florida each year where I fish for Redfish and Speckled Trout along the Space Coast.

My next quest is to catch a Steelhead. I made my first attempt at it last week on the Raging River & Snoqualmie but didn't catch anything. I also accidently broke my 7/8 wt fly rod while packing it up to go home that day, so it'll be a couple more weeks until I get it back (warranty claim) to give it another go providing my wife doesn't deliver our first child (and future fly fisher) before then....it'll be close. :)

Next Summer, I'd like to try some saltwater beach fishing on the Sound as I'll be much more tied to home. I live in West Seattle and can be down to Lincoln Park in a couple minutes. :cool: