What are "Tags"

Discussion in 'New Features, Site News, Issues Info.' started by Old Man, May 1, 2009.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    On the bottom of each thread on the forum there is a thing called "tags". I would like to know what they are. This thing seems to come up when you read something on each forum. I wish I could explaine it better but I can't.

Jim.....Still dumb in Montana. bawling:

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    The concept of "tagging" something is just a way to organize similar subject matter. For example, on photo.net we have an image tagging system that would allow you to search for images of a particular subject. For example, for this image of my wife and son:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8529242

I used the following tags:

• baby
    • child
    • woman
    • wife
    • provia (type of film)
    • Leica IIIf (kind of camera)

This would allow people who were interested in finding images made with fuji provia film to search for (and find) the image with a search for the word "provia". If they had searched just the image title they wouldn't have found the image since the title of the image is "Jack and Stacey".

The same sort of thing would work here on WFF. Yes, we have a 'stillwater' forum. But if tags have been added to the threads it will be easier to find all of the stillwater posts on Lake Squalicum than if you waded through the whole forum.

That having been said, many forums don't use tags because (unlike an image) a forum search will also search inside the forum thread for replies that mention the search term. So while a thread title search might not find "lake squalicum" as long as someone has mentioned the phrase "lake squalicum" somewhere in the thread, it would show up in the search. However, there is a google advantage to having tags on forums. Google likes to have many ways that it can figure out what a webpage is about and tags help it to do so. Better google results mean more people coming to your site.

Hope that made a little sense. If not, I suggest you just ignore it and go fishing.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I think I get the idea behind them. But I'm a hard headed Englishman and I have to be slapped up side the head now and then to understand anything new.

Thank you, Mr Root.

Jim

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I think we all need to be slapped upside the head now and then. Myself included.

Glad I could help.

5. car-zone

car-zone New Member

Home Page:
    Tagging content has become over the last few years an important component of the online publishing process as it allows editors to extend the reference labels, associations and search keywords by which any type of content can be found.