What are "Tench?"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaari White, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    I hope everyone had a productive weekend of fishing.... I was invited to stay at a cabin on Williams Lake in Cheney. The water was FAR too hot for trout fishing and the pan fish were thick, so I tossed anything bright out there and usually got a strike(or a dozen) on each cast.
    The three inchers lost their charm rather quickly, so I switched to a sink tip line to try to reach out to some bigger sunfish from the dock.... wasen't having ANY luck, so I reeled in while I contemplated what to try next, my fly sinking to the bottom straight down from the dock (5' of water). Next thing I know the tip of my rod doubles over and I scramble to save my rod! Anyway... After a hard fought battle, I reeled in a 18-20 inch fish which felt like a freight train much of that time!
    The owner of the cabin said it was a "Tench" and the largest one he'd ever seen. I've never even heard of such a fish! It was golden colored with amber eyes and a sucker type mouth. The owner insisted it be killed because they're not native/pest- pretty vague.
    Anyone have info on these fish? I went on to catch 6 more, none over 12 inches.
    Also, according to the owner, Williams lake is going to be killed off this year.

2. Ned_Ludd

Ned_Ludd Guest

It's some sort of Asian carp I believe.

I caught an 8 pound Tench in Lake Washington once...and was asking myself the same questions.

I did a search..check this out! :) http://www.tenchfishers.net/
    There's some serious tench fisherman out there.

Craig

3. Vic_sea

Vic_sea New Member

>It's some sort of Asian carp I believe.

Not exactly but it's related to carp family.
    I used to fish for them in Russia where I from.
    This fish is fat and slimy and has great taste when cooked but it's hard to catch on sport tackle. Most of fishermen even don't know about existing of this fish and very few fishermen target tench intentionally. They are mostly dusk/night feeders and rest in the dense grass when the sun goes high.
    So if you caught it on flyfishing rod you're lucky.

4. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    In Washington, they're nuisance fish that get poisoned off occasionally, whereas, in Britain and Europe, where I am now doing a Master's (Wales) they're a much sought after course fish. This fish you describe would make a highly successful day for many anglers here! For some reason that i don't understand, they absolutely love species like tench and carp here. People spend days and many £'s and drive hundreds of miles to get a big tench or carp or barbel...all fish that thrive in muddy, murky, ungentlemanly waters!

jack

5. Vic_sea

Vic_sea New Member

In which lakes they inhabit here? I would like to catch one for dinner. But unlike carp which comes to the surface they are primarily bottom feeders

6. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    Vic sea,
    I don't mean to come across as a snob...we washingtonians are very lucky to have accessible, high quality fisheries for many species right at our fingertips and should NEVER take it for granted. Part of the problem I've found in the UK is that salmon and trout fishing is really restricted to landowners and a few wealthy old men. That's probably part of the reason that 'coarse fishing' as they call it is so popular.

Fish for whatever you have fun fishing for! I've been guilty of catching squawfish/pikeminnow on a fly, throwing plastic worms and crankbait for bass or even using powerbait here and there.

I was just in an obvoxious mood.
    jack

7. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like you're ready to try carp on a fly rod. Especially if you like the freight train effect. You certainly don't have to fight off crowds of "snobs", e.g. Draino Lake, to get to them.

8. Coho

Coho Member

Media:
    What are "Tench?" - Snobs at Drano Lake

Just curious... what kind of snob problems have you run into at Drano?

9. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    What are

Me? Well, shucks, I don't have any direct Drano experience. I've stayed away after hearing other people's reports. They say that there's so many boats in there at times that you have to idle outside the circle, then slip in when you get an opening, then you'd better be circling the same direction and speed as the mob. If you get a fish on, too bad if you can't keep circling, because the guy behind will get on coming over the top of your lines. The bank fishermen are second class citizens, but sometimes they get so frustrated they pelt any boat that wanders too close with their heaviest spoons. They report to me sometimes there's a few fools flinging flies from the bank, with a pattern that's big, blue, and puffy. (Wish I knew what it is.) Careful with the backcast or you'll snag a car zooming down Highway 12.

So my use of the term "snob" would be rather sarcastic.

10. Vic_sea

Vic_sea New Member

What are

I have no idea where the Drano lake is. But it sounds exactly like a description of Silver lake off the Mt St Helens highway. The most accessible part for shore fishing lies along the highway and you really have a chance to snag a car when backcasting :)