What are you getting when buy riverfront property?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by National Rivers, Feb 4, 2014.

1. National Rivers

National Rivers Member

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Flood insurance?

3. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Yeah, there's that plus higher taxes
    You also get to watch people float by laughing and fishing while you're busy maintaining the place.

4. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    In other self promoting news, I also put up a recent blog post.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I had a friend that one time had property on the Suaittle River . After a few years of high water and rough runoffs his river front property disappeared all together. So much for owing river front property in the Mountains of Washington.

6. ray@montanariverlodge

ray@montanariverlodge Member

I bought 20+ acres on the Clark Fork River in Montana and eventually built a home for teens in trouble. After nine years, I couldn't keep operating at a loss so finally shut down a few years ago. Now I rent it to vacationers.
    I am blessed to have an extremely unique property that is surrounded by hundreds of acres of gated state forest. An easement provides private access to about two miles of river front with amazing fishing and scenery. Upstream a couple of miles is a ten mile stretch of fantastic class three white water. Downstream the fishing is also very good, and the river gentles down for over one hundred miles of excellent canoeing. It's truly heaven on earth!
    I knew that Montana had a stream access law when I bought, even though the deed states that ownership goes to the low water line.
    I have seen the river use increase one hundred fold(rafting, not fishing) in the last thirty years, occasionally resulting in litter, loud yelling, drunken boaters, nudity, and theft of equipment on the beach. (Personally, I don't mind the topless girls, but some of our guests bring little kids.) The worst of these incidents are very infrequent. Most of the people on the river are simply enjoying the resource in a safe and responsible way. Despite the reduced privacy and solitude, I have greeted everyone with courtesy, even inviting fisherman to drive into the site if they wish to avoid the long walk along the river. I just ask that they stop at the house to see if there are guests at the time. A friendly and respectful attitude has been consistently reciprocated.

Jim Ficklin, Krusty, Salmo_g and 2 others like this.