What are you tying for stillwater this winter?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by IveofIone, Nov 25, 2009.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Anything new or different that you used this season that worked especially well or you just hadn't tried before? How about any old favorites that you tried again and found they still worked?

I am tying a lot of the usual suspects but a few new flies showed up on my radar this year. The Camo Carey has become a big hit as well as the 'Lectric bugger. I'll have plenty of each by the time the season starts. A big brown leech with a black, brown and olive marabou tail and a tag of red marabou on back produced some of the largest fish of the year.

The Stayner Ducktail turned out to be the sleeper fly of the year. I had carried a couple around for several years but broke them out this fall when the usual cast of woolybuggers fell asleep at the wheel. The Ducktail was an immediate hit and many fish in the 16-23'' range showed a keen interest in it. It's gotta be the white wing.....

An old favorite that I am going to break out next year is a Doc Sprately. A few years ago on Janet Lake in BC I had a fabulous day fishing Sprately's but have seldom used one since. And since I fish so many lakes that have crayfish in them I am tying up a bunch of them for lake fishing as well as the nearby river where smallmouth gorge themselves on crayfish.

Cracklebacks will be added to next year's box also as they fished well in the weeds towards the end of the season. Zug Bugs have been kind to me and Halfbacks are dynamite fished on a dry line in the surface film.

Just for the sake of nostalgia I am tying up a couple of Professor streamers. When I was a kid back in 1951 this is the first fly I ever bought. They came individually packaged in cellophane stapled to a cardboard mat. They were large wet flies probably tied on a #4 hook or larger. The mat contained 4 columns as I recall with Professors, Rio Grande Kings, Black Gnats and Parmachene Belles. You tore off the fly you wanted, gave the guy $0.25 and you were in business. They were sold in an old auto parts store that had a tiny sporting goods counter in one corner. A pack of Nabs and a chocolate soda cost another $0.10 and I still had change from a fifty cent piece.

So what fly is going to be most represented in your boxes next year?

Ive

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What ever fly that I tend to buy. I gave up trying to tie when I started my shakes. I got in on a fly swap about two years ago and I did up some woven flies. Thoses liked to about do me in. So I said to hell with tying them. Now I just stop at the fly shop and buy whats working. It's a lot easier than trying to tie up anything except my shoes.

Jim

3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    in 90% of my stillwater fishing i'm specifically targeting brown trout at either pass or martha lake. and 90% of the time i am throwing some type of leech or streamer.

1) double bunnies. tied on size 4 or 2 5262's with size medium lead eyes. olive over white, olive over yellow, all white. barred rabbit, etc. couple strands of matching flashabou and a matching dubbed (ice dub) body. sooooo money. accounted for a lot of pig fish.

2) spring creek special. basic standard bunny leech except replace palmered crosscut bunny with a bunny dubbing brush (available at all about the fly). size 8 5262 hook. instead of tungsten try a brass bead. olive variant and black. 4 strands of krystal flsh under the leather of the tail. basic but so deadly.

3) madonna variation. size 4 9395. tungsten conehead size large. spun deer hair collar, palmered bunny brush. bunny tail and a lot of flash and tied stinger hook style, front hook clipped. in whites, yellows and olive. 3-4"'s long. swims hard. i fish it at martha a lot. at pass i would either match the minnows in size or profile (+-2") or fish something huge.

there are others in my head or sittin in my box or on my table. but dont worry bout them.

other than that (and for when rainbows and cutts are at hand). for lone, and the myriad of eastside lakes i hit every year, tons of chironomids in every color and size and configuartion. damsels, scuds and dragons. hale bopps and semi seal leeches are staples in my box. i never fish nymphs and rarely fish dries so the few go to's in my box are all store bought.

4. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Hale/bopps in black, white, and claret.

5. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Allison,
    Sounds like you've been taking lessons from the Capt.

6. Islander

Islander Steve

Ill be tying the usual Camo Careys, Montana Nymphs, and new to my box this year, the Red Ivan. I will also be tying up some Cracklebacks. I had one left over from a batch I tied for a swap and it slayed the brookies and the bows at Lost Lake. I will definitely be fishing it more often next season. Haven't really started tying as "cabin fever" has yet to set in. We still have some fishable weather over here. Even for a candy-ass old guy like me. :beer2:

7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    cabin fever starts every monday morning at 7am. bawling:

i tie a few flies every night after work. waitin for those precious days off and a chance to see how they swim.

8. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Media:
    I just picked up some stuff from Desert Angler to tie some braided butt damsels, six packs and soft hackles, haven't fished surface damsels much. I hear that June and a blue adult damsel can lead to a chronic increase in blood pressure, can't wait.:D Anybody else have adult damsel patterns they like?

Jarron

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Now thats got to be more than a coincidence! A friend and fellow HiLaker presented me with a Stayner Ducktail at HiLakers meeting the other week that he claimed had been the most productive fly of his entire season.

K

10. wet line

wet line New Member

I am working on a dragon fly nymh that will pulse when stripped.
    The back, approx. 2/3 is wrapped rabbit strip then legs added, rubber on some and guinea on others and the front is finished off with chenile.

A damsel nymph is in the works but is still not working out to be what I want. At least in the bathtub where I test out how they move when stripped.

wet line Daave

11. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Bumbles and Dabblers.
    Based on nothing more than the very thin logic that all Northwest trout wish they were Irish trout.

TC

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Damsels, damsels, damsels . . . love fishing them.

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I have two patterns that I call my own. One is a no-name minnow imitation made with bucktail, marabou, and wire.
    But the other produces trout...lake rainbows, lake browns, Skagit searuns, river rainbows, giant Methow cutts, Steelhead...it pretty much just catches 'em.
    I call it the Pez fly...cause if I had a way to get them in a pez dispenser I could do away with all my other flyboxes.

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I wanna see some pics. Or else these flies don't really exist!:p

15. Donald Johnson

Donald Johnson cuttman

Chironomids...can never have too many.

16. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

LOL, pretty much everything I know about FF has been from fishing/camping with the Cap'.:ray1:

Dem chronomids are still a hard sell for me. Such esoteric fishing!

17. Islander

Islander Steve

iagree

18. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Steve, Until recently I would have agreed with you and Allison but after a few fantastic days on local lakes this fall I am starting to be a believer. On one trip in my pram it was just too windy to row and tend a rod so I had to anchor up. Using some 'Mids that Mike Etiger gave me I cast downwind, laid my rod down and put my feet up on the locker to rest awhile. About 20 seconds later I had a huge fish on that I broke off, caught one about 19'' and then broke off the next one. At that point I changed to a 3X tippit and caught several more in the 16-22'' range. Great action for over an hour and once I moved the boat to another location it started over with the first fish being about 23''.

On another lake I had similar success the following week. These are big 'Mids tied on #8-#10 hooks, not those little mouse nuts sized things tied on micro hooks.

A few years back Roper, Jesse James, Bline Skwirl and myself were fishing Sidley Lake in the spring. Normally hot for damsels that time of year we were all struggling and probably didn't catch more than a dozen fish between us. A guy from Oregon was taking out when we did and I asked him if fishing was slow for him too. He had been at the west end of the lake fishing alone and I never paid any attention to him. He said he had caught about 57 fish down there-all on chironomids. He kicked our butts. The lesson I learned from him was that I may not want to fish that way but if it is the only game in town at times I better learn it.

When you get over this way we will go to a lake that we will probably have to ourselves and we can anchor up and practice on big fish until you get the hang of it. It is little different than the bluegill fishing I did with my grandfather in 1946. An expensive fly rod replaces the cane pole, chironomid patterns instead of red worms dug from the pig pen and a tiny foam float in place of the Carlisyle balsa wood floats we used back then. Other than that it is just a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other end.

Ive

19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yeah, I feel the same way....I just gotta learn it! I'll prolly still be a jerk, though. "Damn! Snapped off another one!":p

20. Islander

Islander Steve

OH NO, Ive's gone over to the "dark side". :eek:

I have heard the same thing from many people now. I guess I'll just have to try it. I have all the stuff, floating line with miles of leader, brightly colored bobbers, and the metal & thread worms. It will most likely take a scenario similar to yours where it's the only thing working.