What are you working on now??

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by charles, Jan 8, 2009.

1. charles

charles New Member

I thought I would make a place forfly tyers to talk about what you have been working on recently.
    I have been tying different colored bwo. Colors likered, orange, yellow, olive, etc.
    They look pretty good.
    I look forward to seeing what you all are working on
    Charlie

2. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

my grades dropped and for my mom to not tell my dad i gave her my vice and other things, i don't get it back until i have all b's and up. semester ends January 30th, grades as of today
    a,b,b,c,c,d

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Colton, time for a new deal with your mother. Your grades all B or above or she sells all your tying gear in the classifieds and donates the cash to your college fund. You are half way there, but the lower half really need to be your focus. There will be flies to tie later in your life man, right now get all you can out of that school system and every instructor they put in front of you.

Thanks to someone else in another swap (Erich Tarcha I think) I just got some bird fur spey hackle feathers in the mail. I got some small portions in a bunch of colors to try. That will allow me to put some long wispy hackle over some steelhead patterns.

I'm also going to do a MOAL search here to find out how to tie this mystical beast. Many have touted its benefits, I should get in on some of that tying action while I'm stuck in the house.

4. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

5. Ed Call

SteelieD, great link, awesome. Is that a color combo that you've used? I might finish mine with a contrasting fishfur hackle just for some more challenge, plus I've got to use the stuff on something. Thank you. I can do that! (so he types confidently)
    What happened to the shotgun avatar? Didn't you have one of your mug looking down the delivery end and showing us the business end?

6. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Blue Doos and Three Dollar Blues:
    [​IMG]
    <br>
    [​IMG]

7. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

I was given a new fly box for Christmas, it is one of the waterproof SA boxes with 4 sides. I don't know that I am crazy about the box but I decided to make a dedicated tungsten box. I did a side for each size, 18, 16, 14 and 12, with about 8 to 9 dozen of each. It turned into an OCD quest. Until this weather breaks and I can go back to finishing my boat the quest goes on. I signed up for the trout swap marathon to switch it up some. I'm just finishing up a dozen sparkle stones that are ass kickers in march and april around here for the swap.

8. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

:)
    That's SteelieMike.

I'm gonna try the MOAL's this weekend for the first time, so no color combo's yet. We'll see how it goes.:hmmm:

Sweet ties and good photography pittendrigh!

9. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Salmon Fly's, Golden's and Skwala's.

10. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Cajun Ticklers for pannies and Electric Rubber Buggers for bows/browns.

Attached Files:

11. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I was doing some "research" on youtube and discovered Davie Mcphail. Great fly tier from Ireland, with about 40-odd videos. So I tied up some shuttlecocks (midge emerger pattern) and foam extended body mayflies from his videos. I've probably watched everything he has on the site and learned a lot in the process. Cool.

12. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Ive been tying up different variations of the "Chum Baby". Really does work good too. Rezzies really love them too, which is nice this time of year. Ive been tying something up that uses the same tying steps as a chum baby, but with different materials. More of a bait fish pattern.

13. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

I have been tying everything from size 2 steelhead moal leaches to size 18 chronomids.

Clint

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I've been working on a six pack of Bud.

15. Ed Call

OMJ, is that what happened to your melon? Got drunk and scalped? Lose a bet? Trying to draw a picutre of Mumbles' avatar on the back of your head?

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Seen "Hitman" the other day and I admit, I looked for the bar code.

17. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Since Pass was a a bust yesterday, went back to steelhead flies. Here's a Purple Sunrise

Attached Files:

18. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Been busy...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Here's what's coming off the vise lately , though mostly for swingin' to GL's steelhead , I think they should work for smallmouth , walleye and pike in the rivers that I swing a two-hander .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike

20. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

That is some beautiful work, I'm going to have to learn tie the articulated styles one of these days.