What are you working on now??

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by charles, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Mumbles, In truth they aren't all tied by me.
  2. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Ed, I just stick a hook in the junction tubing (or tube if possible with no junction) and then stick the fly in my box like any other. That way I always know I have enough hooks for my tube flies too. They stay in just fine as long as the hook eye is a good fit for the tubing.

hth
    :beer2:
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,545 / 9
    Jim, cheap bastard that I'll admit to being, I'm tying my tubes on the plastic tube shafts of Q tips. Until I get some real tubing they seem to work, but there is no junction tubing into which to insert the hook eye. Mabe I'll find some that will fit and solve tons of issues. I've got to get some creativity points for the use of the T pins to hold the flies though, right?
    :thumb:
  4. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Here is my first attempt at an Intruder and a stinger rig, I even sprung for the waddingtons. I have to admit that it took some head scratching to figure out how to put it on my vise. But I think I figured it out.

Attached Files:

5. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Matt, you care to share that idea. I tried to figure it out tonight too. It kept turning on it's side. Nice fly.
    Frank.
  6. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Sure Buck, if you have a rotary vise just mount it sideways, then give it a quarter turn. See Pics

Now my turn for a question, how are yall tying your stinger to the waddington shank. For my first one I just tied the firewire to the shank, but what would be the method for using the rear eye on the waddington?

Attached Files:

7. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Matt,
    1. First take your line, tie it into a loop.
    2. Then start with the shank, Pinch two sides together tightly till you have almost no gap.
    3. Slide the pinched line through the opening in the back of the shank.
    4. Take the line you just pushed through and bring in through the open of the remaining line.
    5. Pull tight and you should have a tied in connection.

Repeat for the hook.

:thumb:

Does anyone have a simpler way. I just don't like the adjustability....or the lack there of, of the way I do it.

Attached Files:

8. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.

Attached Files:

9. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    here is a 3rd attempt.

Attached Files:

10. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Very Sweet Buck! Not roadkill at all!! My wife said it was pretty too.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Buck, that crap will never do man. Send me three dozen of them for disposal. Some color variation in the mix would be nice before disposal of course.

Matt Smith better tie some up too and tie one on for working the pool after dragging his new toon onto the numerous Hoh gravel bars or banks.

I've got five or six full boxes of steelhead flies that I've bought, swapped or tied. A few more coming in Dinker's Steelhead Swap II to be added to the mix, I'm so stoked (but way underskilled).
  12. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Thanks Matt, your wife as well. So I'm going to post another tonight. I wrote out the reciepe and it looks pretty solid.
    Cheers,
    Frank.
  13. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Six Boxes!!! Shit Mumbles, it sounds like you are going to open your own fly shop with that. :D
  14. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Geez Buck. Your tying is coming along nicely. Looks like someone took a field trip to the fly shop today to get a tube attachment for his vise!
  15. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Here's my nightly contribution, another intruder.

Attached Files:

16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Matt, you are right, too many boxes. I'll pack them into four. In order to make that happen you'll only have to send me one half dozen of those latest intruders. You can bring them to the Hoh and hand them to me directly. I hope to have a cold one for you. Those look pretty dang good to me man.
  17. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    I will tie for beer!!!!:beer2:
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I will beer for intruders!:beer2:
  19. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Here are the two patterns I'm doing for the Spring Midge Swap if we get a couple more tiers pretty soon here...

#20 bh larvalace midge (for spring creeks)
    #14 shellback emerger (for lakes)

Attached Files: