What are your 10 most essential Spey flies?(Update)

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Matt Burke, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    Went to the Swedes fly shop and got an assortment of Gadrall, Guinea, and Schloppen. It’s a good thing I have most of what I need. But I need to narrow it down a little more. I have several pattern books for Spey and Salmon flies. I just need a starting point.

Thanks for your help,

Matt
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    What are your 10 most essential Spey flies?

General Practioner in various colors. Mostly black, black, and black with a few wine or clarit(sp), orange, and red.
  3. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0

Yeah, what he said...

Although I should point out that even though everyone knows the fly by the name "General Practitioner", it's real name is the "G.P.", which stood for Golden Pheasant. The originator just happened to be a doctor, so when people heard about his G.P. fly, they just assumed that it stood for General Practitioner. There's a useless piece of Scottish flyfishing history for you...
  4. Luv2Spey Member

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Interesting question. I'm looking forward to what you guys would think are the 10 most essential spey flies.

As for me, I think of seasons and rivers when I think of essential flies. For example, in the winter on the Skagit, Stilly, Sky, and Snoqualmie I fish almost exclusively a dirt simple spey pattern - Specifically, in addition to the spey feather extending just beyond the hook bend, the bodies of these flies are simple spun Marabou with a schlappen hackle. My favorites for these rivers are purple marabou with a black hackle collar, purple marabou and white hackle collar, purple marabou with a red throat. Yup, purple is my "go to" color for typical NW winter steelhead fishing.

For low-water summer fishing, I like classical, sparsely dressed low water patterns. However, I like these patterns to present a narrow profile when viewed head on (or tail-on), but a very wide profile when viewed from the side. In my box I have a bunch of Purple Perils, Skykomish Sunrises, Green Butt Skunks, Night Dancers, and my own invention, the Bacon Creek Special. These flies are all tied both as hair-wings and with classical spey hackle.

Cheers,

Michael
  5. circlespey Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0

Do you mean 10 most essential flies to fish with a spey rod or 10 spey flies? I use GP's and the others listed above all the time, and although they can be tied with spey hackle usually they are not, so I wouldn't call them spey flies.

If you mean true spey flies I rely a lot on dark green, black, and red. Black hackle and red body is my favorite. Few spey flies have accepted fly names.

Circlespey
  6. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0

Well, luckily what I'm about to say won't ruffle too many feathers as it's hardly an original philosophy. You only need one fly pattern for steelhead: the one that's on your leader at any one time. The fish don't care. The good news is, that means you can tie whatever pattern catches your eye in a book. Just one if you want to. My "spey box" is wacky collection of all kinds of gorgeous (to my eye) flies, mostly onesies. I tend towards darker flies, but I have my share of brights too. Hugh Falkus once said about picking a fly "first determine if you believe dark day = dark fly, or dark day = bright fly, either way, you'll catch your share :THUMBSUP
  7. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0

Troutman101 has got it right. I'd make only two changes. Delete the Moonlight in favor of Syd Glasso's Sol Duc (possibly the most famous northwest spey fly); and delete the Gold-Green fly (redundant with the Gold-Green fly and the Green King) in favor of Walt Johnson's Red Shrimp.
  8. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0

After going out in the Stilly to practice, I have come up with my own essential fly. This fly was inspired by the little piles of line that would gather in front of me, after a bad cast (which was often). It's tied onto an Alec Jackson and I use the word, tied, loosely. It is best to make this fly as your last one of the day. Basically just gob on a bunch of CA gel glue and then roll it around in the scraps left over from previous ties. They look like crap, but when your in training, they will hold up under most strain and frustration.

Oh man I was so glad there was nobody else out there. I could just imagine all the late, great Spey fishers of the 1800's rolling over in there graves and muttering, "Bloody Yanker". I was also very glad I wore a hooded rain jacket as it acted like a force field against wayward flies.

All in all, I have learned that chanting, "Luke, use the force" does not work. In fact force has nothing to do with it. Once I learned to relax and stop mentally willing the rod to do it for me, it actually started to look good and I did a little fishing.

I had said I wasn't going to be able to go to the Spey clave because of work. Now I think I'll be late for work that day.

Matt
  9. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0

When you learn to spey, the spey fishers of old will still roll over in their graves. You will developed your own style of spey that fits our rivers and it will differ greatly from the old.
    :THUMBSUP
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0

What do I know---I'm just an old man

And just how was fishing today? Got anything to report?

Jim
  11. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Here are my favorite flies:

Lady Caroline

Orange Heron (pseudo spey by Syd or the old version from Scottland)

Glen Grant

Purple King

Gold Riach (sp?)

Green King

Culdran Fly

Carron Fly

Moonlight (dee not spey)

Gold Green Fly

The Gadwall feathers really could be replaced by real Teal. Anyone other than Swede will let you hand match the pairs if you ask.

The Bronze and Grey mallard is hard to find in larger sizes. I found really nice ones at Creekside in Oregon.

Don't be afraid to use brilliant colors to duplicate the body colors. Steelhead seem to respond better to brilliantly dyed body colors.

I'd start with the Lady Caroline. You can use really long schlappen for the heron substitute. Try not to cut corners on mounting the wings though. Once you get it right, it is easier to stay right. Try it until you get it. It might take you a dozen tries to get it.

A six pack might persuade me to show you if you need help. I live in Fremont.

T