What are your favorite early season flies?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by David Bershtein, Mar 10, 2013.

?

What are your favorite early season flies?

1. March brown wet

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. Light Cahill wet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. Wet caddis

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. Black wooly bugger

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  6. Stonefly nymph

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  7. Royal coachman

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. There is more magic, mystery and suspense in that first cast of the season for me than at any other time. What fly to use when there is a rushing spring melt and no rising trout?

The fish are in there, they eat every day and they have never read a book on fishing. And the first fly out of the box is?

Bradley Miller likes this.
  2. I think it is royal coachman. What is the exact answer?

3. SJW get them every time.

The Duke likes this.
  4. Here in the MId-West the wooly bugger is a good early season choice. The other is the royal wulff.

5. That's a great question and I never have known what to start with, so I pick something:D

David Bershtein likes this.
  6. Albert, a Royal Coachman is a great choice. They are little works of art

7. What size bugger do you prefer? Black, brown or green? Bead head or pain? The biggest wild brown I ever caught was on a huge green bugger

8. Your list is of east coast flies. There's a big difference in choices between east coast and west coast. Woolly Bugger works in lakes out here and the stonefly nymph for starting out in the streams. Rest of yours look good in a display case here.

Now if it was April 1960 and I was fishing with my uncle in Pennsylvania....he'd have on a March Brown and I'd be using a Light Cahill. And I'd have that hand me down outfit with the enameled dry line that kinda floated and no backing as it wasn't needed.

Kent Lufkin and Patrick Gould like this.
  9. Early in the season when the male blue gill are guarding the nests I like a black bugger in a size 10 or 12. This is actually more on a mini-bugger I suppose. The bass seem to like either an olive or black bugger in a 6 - 8. I fish bead head or plain depending on how deep I need to get the fly.

10. I see the reason for the fly choices. With the exception of the royal coachman, these are the snelled choices on your website.

I'm toying with creating a dropper fly leader and old style wets just for nostalgia.

11. The Washington general opener for streams is in the first Sat in June. We'll still be getting runoff, but it'll be pretty warm here east of the cascades. The fish are hungry and pushed into the side channels. My first cast will be with a size 8 or 10 PMX in hopes of tricking a hungry Cutthroat.

12. I know he protests that it isn't so, but a troll by any other name, is still a troll.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. Buttugly BIg Beadheaded Banana Yellow streamer...bout twelve casts into Pass lake this weekend, right up against a bank, BAM, brown trout....as Borat says... Hi Five!

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  14. Not another troll

15. I would start off with Streamers. My second choice Streamers and my third choice close behind that would be the Streamer !!!

Blake Harmon and wadin' boot like this.
  16. Stone flies are leading the poll. Comments on color, size?
    Wooly buggers are also big: Color, size?
    Any love for the gold-ribbed hare's ear? Caught my biggest brown on one....

17. Hare's ear is the one I got my second largest Brown on. I like large darker colored rabbit stuff in off colored water in early season.

18. None of the above. Streamer drug off the bank.

19. My top fly based on years of usage on the opener is a green (wool) carey special. Probably used that on over half of the openers I participated in.

David Bershtein likes this.
  20. What is your favorite streamer?