What # Backing for 7WT Spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Benjy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    So, I am new to spey fishing and I'm getting all geared up with a 7WT. I want to put an Abel Super 10 on it because that's the most suitable reel I've got on hand. I'm going to use a Skagit short. I've got all the mow tips, the line, the running line and now I'm thinking about which backing I should go with. Having only fished 2 handed one time and didn't hook anything I can only assume that seeing your backing when you hook a fish is pretty common. Is 20 lb. enough or should I go with 30 considering that it's a large arbor Super 10?

I'm thinking that this will be primarily a winter use set up, but I might want to swap line off of it and use it in the summer.

2. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    If you ever plan on using it for Kings, use 30#.

3. bouface

bouface Member

Yep, 30#. You have plenty of room on your reel to put 150-200 yards of 30# with the line your using, which is plenty of backing.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Benjy,

20 is enough, but if the reel has a large capacity 30 is convenient to avoid having to wind on 300 or 400 yd. I have 20 on all my reels I use on single hand rods, and 20 or 30 on the reels that go on two handed rods, depending what I had laying around.

Sg

5. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

20 will be ok, but if you fish for kings or chums, Id use 30

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    20 is probably 10 to 15 pounds lighter than the breaking strength of a quality 7 wt line. Your call. I never use anything buy #30 or higher.

7. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    20# for most situations would be fine. but you risk looking your entire line if something went wrong.

8. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

30 for winter type fast water and big fish. 20 for summer situations. If you only have one reel go 30.

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The first question is 'what is the internal core strength of the fly line you're going to be using. The backing should be at least that amount, or more. Personally, anything over a 6wt line will get at least 30# backing.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Funny that for decades I used single hand rods and reels sized to match that were universally loaded with 20# backing. Must be a good thing that I didn't realize what I was risking. Without fishing for them on purpose, I caught kings and chums (one summer king on a fiberglass 7 wt, a combination I don't recommend) without ever losing any backing or flylines. I did lose a number of flies due to deliberately breaking the 8# Maxima leader because they weren't the species I was fishing for.

I load Spey reels with 30# dacron, not because I think I need it, but because it takes a mile of 20# to fill a big Spey reel. If you're fishing 20# leaders, I suppose there is an increased risk of losing one's fly line tho.

Sg

11. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Sg, it doesn't take 20# leaders to do it. I would not use 15# maxima with 20# running line. For me it is abrasion if the backing hits rock. The 30# is much better at that.

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    15 pound maxima has the same diameter as many other companies' 20 pound :rofl:

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    DocDoc,

I guess I believe in calculated risks. What are the odds of the 20# backing hitting a rock and abrading enough to break? It's never happened to me, so I expect it will when I hook a world record something or other. But since I don't care about world records, I've nothing to worry about.

Phil,

Of course Maxima is thicker and stiffer than other mono brands, and possibly no stronger on a diameter for diameter basis, but after 3, going on 4 decades of using it, it's never disappointed. Not something I can say about other mono brands, altho I'm open to comparisons.

Sg

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Backing? What is that?

15. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Rio IGFA. Great stuff.

16. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    It's that bright yellow stuff that stains our white fly lines...

17. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    Are you trying to bait me again Ed?

18. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

I use 30lb. backing on all my single and two hand fly reels, because I like to put a 6" Reverse Blind Splice Loop on all my fly reels backing. This allows me to change fly lines on one fly reel spool, if all my fly lines have rear running line loops on them . 20lb. backing is too small of a diameter to make a Reverse Blind Splice Loop. I've never had any issues of not having enough backing on any of my smaller weight fly reels using 30lb backing.

http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/anderson_spliced_loop.aspx

19. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Yup. For bluewater, this technique and a struebel line winder and you can change full lines in less time than it takes for your buddy to change a shooting head.

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Some very good 'calls' above .. but one question still sits there and 'stares back at you;' (ok, ok, with few exceptions, use 30# Dacron)... but the typical spey line will be at least 120 foot long, a few .. such as the Carron's .. very cool lines I might add ... go to 150 foot.

Unless you're a 'Master Caster,' how many fish have actually seen ANY of the backing on your reel? Most of my 'fishing' is at/under 70 feet off the reel (plus leader) and the answer would be darned few. Had a few that really did go well into the backing, but those I can/could count on the fingers of one hand.

You hook fish, he strips off all your line, he's now 120-170 feet from you .. he takes 25 yards of backing off your reel. Now he's close to 200-225 feet away .. and probably down stream and running like he has a rocket up his/her butt ... takes a few more?

Hope you're in a boat .. or have a hell of a long beach ... you'll need it. But, Ahhhh the 'but,' a memory, Dear Lord, THE memory of "The Fish!" Woozer!

Just thoughts from personal experience ....

fae