What baitfish patterns for the mid Columbia River smallmouth bass?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Shawn West, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    I am trying to get ready for the spring smallmouth fishing season. My go to baitfish pattern on the Snake never got touched last year on the Columbia. What are the main baitfish I can find in the Columbia? I am working on a pikeminnow fry pattern, but have not got the coloring quite right yet. What other minnow should I try to duplicate? I did tie a few redside shiners over the weekend. I posted a photo on one of the other threads. Thank you for any input.

Shawn
  2. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,173 / 0
    Try a chinook fry pattern during their out-migration.
  3. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Have you tried a chartreuse clouser? I've caught smallies in 5 states with it.
  4. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    iagree

Clouser minnows and smallmouth bass are a classic combination.
  5. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    I've found that they eat anything including nymphs. White over yellow and yellow over white bunny seemed to also work well as well as white and black, white orange.

Ira..
  6. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    I always do well with white/chartreuse Clousers. Black Simiseal leeches have also worked well for me last fall. I just happen to be in bait fish tying mode at the moment and was looking for input. Thanks for your replies.

Shawn
  7. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    have to agree with the majority here, clousers have been productive from my experience, I had a little luck with rabbit strips and the old stand-by woolley buggers
  8. Spey Dog New Member

Wellington, Ohio
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I dont know about on your side but I absolutly hammered them last year on these 2 patterns. Just giving your some ideas and I am quite positive they will there. I post em below. I like swingin classic's and simple Madonna's flies as they are easy to tie and works well.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  9. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    You dub a nice tight body. Great ties!
  10. Spey Dog New Member

Wellington, Ohio
    Thanks Philster.
    As for Clousers, its hard to beat this pattern that works everywhere. Chart/White, All Black, Black/Purple and Olive/White are my go to colors along with perch and fire tiger. I really like the synthetic fiber like EP Fibers but up to 4" after that I go to a stiffer hair like Yak and Bucktail.
  11. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    I've tried imitative patterns on the mid-Columbia, but I think it's more important to excite them with crazy patterns like rubber legs and a wiggle tail. I like a root beer or black wiggle tail bugger with extra round rubber legs. [IMG]

I also like a 6 inch white bunny strip:
    [IMG]

Also like the big chartreuse sneaky pete:
    [IMG]
  12. Spey Dog New Member

Wellington, Ohio
    Nice fishs Paul! Yea I agree exciting them is the key. Give them something they hadn't seen yet is a lot of fun. Sneaky Petes are always in my boxes when I know I ll be fishing for SMB. I got a cool looking Spun deer hair Pete that I have to hut for a picture.