What brand bobber to balance my death star?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman44, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +685 / 0
    Now thats some casting form I can admire...
  2. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Pretty sure a "death star" would deflate these sweet boobers, likely a thingamaboober two, I mean also. That's what death stars do. I'd be afraid to cast an inflated boober with a death star, wouldn't want to damage them!
    golfman44 and David Dalan like this.
  3. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +445 / 0
    after much searching i have found a site without all the nymphing vs swing drama that actually discusses issues related to fishing.
  4. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,002 / 0
    Walakes shouldn't be that hard to find. Did you try using Bing search?
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    You can find other sites or stop clicking on threads you don't want to read or be frustrated by. Conscious choices.
    golfman44, Irafly and Porter like this.
  6. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Ed, though that may be the case, threads such as these, tend to bring the Jack Ass poster to the forefront creating a negative climate for the entire board. Finding insightful and intriguing threads has been a rarity on WFF. I miss the WFF of a few of years back, when Mumbles was racking up post counts asking solid Newbie questions or just interjecting to keep the conversations moving, others freely commented from an array of backgrounds and experience. Yeah they got blasted before too, but not like now...I know I've become a little gun shy to comment, not for fear of being blasted, I just feel what's the use...no one here really wants to learn anything, its all posturing, posing and pretending.

Self promotion has become an American pastime.

Oh well, I'll crawl back into wff obscurity and the posts of yesteryear.

James
  7. sopflyfisher Active Member

I'm all for some ball busting and shenanigans, but somewhere along the line the majority of the steelhead forum became less informative and not really about fishing . I'm guilty too of not always steering the conversation on a productive path,. in the name of humor of course as i like to laugh and see others laugh. but in the end i want to talk fly fishing steelhead, and laugh. seems its all about indicators, beads, and debate over whether its fly fishing. I've made my position real clear, and there's no need to announce it again here. but where's the talk about swinging tactics, fly choice, line reviews and setup, reading water, river lessons. its made the forum less usable for its intended purpose. perhaps in all seriousness a nymphing steelhead forum and a swinging forum would help separate the naughty kids from one another. i mean its Washington fly fishing right. if i want trolling and low brow humor I'll stick to fishchan, as its hard to tell the difference these days.
  8. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    The best stuff ever written about steelhead flyfishing was written many years ago by a long list of great anglers. Steelhead fishing in general is a "doers" game. You can read, talk and draw pictures all you want but it comes down to getting your arse on the river and following a path of self discovery and learning what works for you. By this token it makes it difficult to share on the Internet. Posting reports and even photos is taboo these days and I understand why. About the only subject left that isn't spelled out in a long catalogue of literature is nymphing for steelhead. And it's been proven a thousand times over that a guy can't ask an honest question on the subject without people raking them over the coals and debating whether it is even a technique or not. What remains is typically pure garbage with the occasional brush with humor (typically a cross between a dick joke and a wet fart so "humor" is a term used sparingly).

Internet forums suck.
  9. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    I can honestly say that without asking questions here and without learning via this forum that I would not have caught my first steelhead this year. Call me a jack ass if you sleep better, but your premise for doing so is quite off base.
  10. sopflyfisher Active Member

post deleted
  11. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +515 / 0
    Pat Lat put up an interesting post on fly lines (Scandi) with an 8 weight in the SH forum. There is some good stuff being posted, and its easy to maneuver through this forum and get to the meat if you want. No one is making you read these silly and sometimes fun and entertaining threads. I wouldn't quit. Maybe, just take a small break and return when the weather is better and there is more fishing related threads taking place.
    Irafly and golfman44 like this.
  12. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Off base you say? Wow ain't that the pot calling the kettle black.

You're right, you do represent todays typical poster and if this was "Survivor" I'd been voted off the island long ago.

Post on smart guy...and congrats on the first steelhead on the fly!
    golfman44 likes this.
  13. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Thanks! Was a while ago but still a sweet feeling, I remember it like it was yesterday.
  14. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    I actually wasn't responding to you holmes. I didn't even see your post til after I posted.

Take it how you wish tho. I was merely speaking in generalities as to why this forum sucks so bad these days. The same handful of people reply the same nonsense to every thread possible in every sub forum possible. This shit spew cascades into a shit fall that drops into a very deep and bottomless shit pool (anyone watch trailer park boys?) where everyone gets a little bit shitty in the process. Some really great anglers used to frequent this board as well as spey pages and some really great stuff used to float around where an open mind might get to chew on something interesting when he's not on the river. Now threads like this get 14 pages of titty jokes and tough guys.

Puffy and Flat Brim? Was that supposed to sting?
  15. sopflyfisher Active Member

sorry sean, i misinterpreted i guess. thought you were taking a shot at me for some reason. i apologize for being snatchy. just frustrated with the lack of quality as of late. and no the puffy coat thing wasn't meant to sting, it was an attempt at humor referencing an old pointless thread. no ill will on my end. ironically the best exchange lately was with you concerning lines. so thanks for that ill.
    golfman44 likes this.
  16. CLO coho where are you?

Seattle
    Ratings: +315 / 0
    If this forum sucks don't post in it? If this forum sucks post better content? Or just complain about it.
    Irafly, golfman44 and PT like this.
  17. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    I don't see how this can be taken in any way to be offensive. <thumb>

Or, this. <thumb>
  18. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Stop using so much logic please CLO. Some people just prefer to walk around complaining about shit. The internet happens to be one of the easiest avenues to do that.
  19. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    On this board not only do I see the same amount of passion in peoples fishing and questions as in this short little scene, I also see the same level of miscommunication..
  20. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +743 / 0
    You know having sub-forums for nymphing and swinging in the steelhead forum might be kind of cool. Some folks get real passionate about the topic. I certainly have my opinions.

I'm not sure if anyone would change how they behave, but it would be clearly inappropriate to inject beading comments under the swinging forum, or to make comments on how a fish was caught "not really flyfishing" under a nymphing forum.

I realize not all nymphing includes beads and bobbers.

I personally have learned a ton from this forum over the years. I also notice that (almost without exception) nobody who was active when I joined posts much anymore. Some don't even seem to visit anymore. A bunch of them were young and now doing other things, but I'd hate to have the climate around here drive folks away. Though I have noticed another forum I visited many moons ago has also shrunk quite a bit. Maybe the novelty is wearing off a bit. Whatever.

I still think this is the best forum of those that I visit.