What Bug Book?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Ed Call, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    I'm hoping a few who have tried to help my understanding of bugs and their lifecycles chime in here. I also hope some others I've not yet gotten info from will have a title or two.

I need to find a good bug guide, not a tying guide, but more just bugs, types, environment, life cycles. I'm dumb as a stump and thus far looking at the bug and then looking at my fly box to see what seems the closest is about as advanced as my bug lack of knowledge has gotten.

Thanks.
  2. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hey Ed first thing ask Preston, he should have a good and technical knowledge of who writes the best on that subject. My own preferences are for Jim Schollmeyer's books of Hatch Guides for Lakes and Hatch Guide for Western Streams and even Hatch Guide for the Lower Deshutes. I also like Dave Hughes and Rick Hafeles books either jointly written or the ones they wrote separately. Of course you can get books just on mayflies or other individual species by many authors but it's easy to get overwhelmed by all of the data provided. Have fun turning rocks!!! Bob
  3. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Ratings: +237 / 0
    Bob's recommendations are what I have on my shelf.

Steve
  4. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +111 / 0
    Hi Ed-

Guide to Aquatic Invertebrates of the Upper Midwest by R.W. Bouchard, Jr. is targeted at students, citizen monitors, and aquatic resource professionals. It is extremely well written, and has illustrations of most aquatic invertebrate orders likely to be encountered in freshwater environments. Larvae of aquatic insect orders are keyed/illustrated to family level. This is a great find for any flyfisher just getting started identifying aquatic macroinvertebrates. Incredibly, it is currently available for free download, can be printed at home, and then taken to Office Depot and spiral bound with a clear mylar cover and back protectors for about $4.
  5. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Ratings: +268 / 0
    Ed, if you don't own this yet it's the first stillwater book I'd recommend to anyone at any skill level. Brilliant 10 year old book. One of the chapters has exactly what you're inquiring about (nicely detailed on insects and non-insect foods, anything trout typically eat in lakes...when/where they are found, how they move/swim/fly, lifecycles, you name it), with a subsequent chapter on the relative fly patterns, how they are tied, and how to present them. Beyond that, the entire book is a broadstroke guide on effective SW fishing. So it's not a bug book per se, but for something that can be blown through in a day it has a lot to offer and impressively covers trout food sources.
  6. Rialto Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
  7. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Ratings: +565 / 0
    I go along with Bob on this as well as Rialto. An old book I still enjoy is Selective Trout by Swisher and Richards.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Ratings: +1,664 / 0
    Get a hold of Taxon. He's a Guru on this shit.

I'm slow today, but what can you expect for somebody not getting any sleep.
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Thanks all, I did a search and found a few more titles than I really could process. Asking yet another seemingly silly question has gotten some great input. Thank you one and all. Free download now, thanks Taxon, and browsing for some of the other titles to see if I can find a used copy at a few of my favorite book recyclers. You guys started my day off great!
  10. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Also Ed, Preston on here, recently wrote an excellent article (in Fly Fishing Journal?) on the Calllibaetis mayfly. Excellent read and photos!!!!! :thumb:
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Thanks Larry. I may have seen Preston's article. I will check again. As for your favorite bug book, maybe I should start a doorbelling campaign near the Fjord surveying libraries of known successful fly fishermen!
  12. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Ed, I also have the Morris and Chan book and one by Randall Kaufman and Ron Cordes on lake fishing but didn't mention them since I haven't read them thoroughly enough to reccomend them yet. The copy of the Kaufman Cordes book that I have is an older one and i think they have updated it. I also have Stallcups book on Mayflies and Schollmeyer and Leesons book on emergers. They are some of my newest acquisitions that I haven't read through. You can go on and on but thats part of the enjoyment. I obviously have lots to read this winter so with tying flies and other things, I still may not get it done this year. Bob
  13. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +435 / 0
    Lots of good suggestions here. Among my favorites (which admittedly seem to be bug and pattern books) are Schollmeyer's Hatch Guidebooks (both stream and stillwater), Hughes and Hafele's Complete Book of Western Hatches and (also by Hughes and Hafele) Western Mayfly Hatches. There are plenty of books out there, but not so many which concern themselves with bugs of the Pacific Northwest or even of the west.
  14. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ed.
    The book I have been using for years is by Jim Schollmyer and it's called
    (HATCH GUIDE FOR WESTERN STREAMS)
    It is around $20.00, I just call they have them in stock at Creekside Issaquah 425-392-3800 and they will ship, it is a great book it shows the life cycles and the imitation.
    I swear by this book.

Bill.

:thumb:
  15. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Well you're welcome any time Ed. You might try BookFinders.com for locating good deals on books. I love it!
  16. Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Ratings: +2 / 0
  17. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Ratings: +76 / 0
    Not a book, but Ralph Cutter's "Bugs of the Underworld" is a great DVD in my opinion for getting a real view of life under the surface, at the surface and on the rocks.

Mike
  18. scottflycst Active Member

Ratings: +24 / 0
    Ed,
    For you and any others reading your thread, one of the best and easy to understand books on trout foods I've found is Dave Whitlock's "Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods". Dave not only wrote the script but drew all the illustrations in the book as well. It's easy to read and the pictures show the life cycle of each type of insect and other trout foods. It is guaranteed to up your game!
  19. Kerfwappie Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey Ed,
    Skip Morris is putting on a class on this very subject at Peninsula Outfitter's in Poulsbo on Tuesday, January 26th @ 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. You can probably pick up the book there and get it signed.
  20. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Ratings: +237 / 0
    Skip's mayfly book, Mayflies: Top to Bottom, has a number of great mayfly pictures. BUT, the bugs are not identified, a huge missed opportunity by Amato publishers. It would worth it if they could produce an errata sheet with IDs, as best one can do, for the pictures.

For general identification of stream bugs, look at sites / resources that focus on stream monitoring. The tolerance (or lack thereof) of many stream insect to anthropogenic disturbance make them great indicators of stream health. For example, the presence of stoneflies is a great indicator of clean, cold, undisturbed waters. On the other hand, midges are typically associated with impaired water quality. I use Hafele and Hinton's book, Guide to Northwest Aquatic Invertebrates when we do stream sampling in my summer Watersheds class.

Steve