What Class V whitewater is REALLY like . . .

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Jonnytutu

Jonnytutu Member

speaking of ridiculous rapids, this is one of the zambezi river down in Africa....

I had the pleasure of going river rafting on this river a few yrs ago, one of the scariest things of my life.

Fin

triploidjunkie likes this.
  2. martyg

martyg Active Member

Payton -

You should check out some classes. NW Outdoor Center runs a GREAT WW immersion course on the Wenatchee. I have attended simply because it is so reasonable. For the cost that I could not match on my own I have five days of boating, shuttles, food and lodging. I forget the price but I want to say $600? It is a steal.

We have a saying in kayaking instruction, "Patterns of grace, moments of pressure." Meaning that you ingrain the proper behavior and muscle memory on easy water, and when the time comes to paddle hard water the response is like breathing in your sleep. The best paddlers in the world train on a slalom course where the waves are 6" high - the feeder canal to the Potomac River - for that very reason. It is the same with skiing. In either case if it feels like you are working hard it is probably because you are doing it incorrectly. Turning skis on a 45 degree slope or rolling a kayak should feel absolutely effortless once you put your body in the correct position and execute.

More over, I don't think that it is about internal strength. I think that it is about learning your craft and, most importantly, seeing opportunities and not obstacles. And I would argue that the ability to see opportunities and not obstacles is what makes anyone great in the field, whether it is sports, business, medicine, or relationships.

The great thing about paddling is that it is a lifetime sport that you can pursue regardless of your physical aptitude. I can have just as much fun dinking around throwing ends in a eddy line on a Class II river as I can running something more advanced. After training on the water 10 x per week regardless of the weather in my younger days I am totally content to be on a Class III river when it is sunny and 80 degrees out.

3. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Kent,
    Thank you for starting this thread.
    I've been fishing a bit upstream from that little "riffle" off and on for the past few years. I had no idea that stretch was quite that spectacular.
    With visions of this video, I'll take care to wade a little more cautiously while upstream of that stretch from now on!

Oh, it needs to be left "as is". No dam should ever go there!

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I will stick to running the Sauk or the Ronde in my pontoon, thank you.

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I think you & WW could do this!!!

6. fluvial

fluvial New Member

Check out the Illinois, a trib of the Rogue... Now, think small winter steelhead run, 30 Class IV rapids or better in a remote wilderness canyon that can jack from 1,500 CFS to 8,000 CFS in 24 hours due to the rocky drainage it serves. 31 miles of possibilities - and a Class V rapid called "The Green Wall"... YouTube that steelhead run. Maybe this winter if we can conjure up the cojones...

7. martyg

martyg Active Member

I read once in a guidebook that the campsites on the Illinois are more sites of desperation than comfort - and I can concur.

As a winter run it would be cold and foreboding. However hit the right sequence of days in Spring when the temps get up to the 70's, the days are getting long and the nights are filled with stars and it is a special place to be.

Another option for that river is to pack really light and do it in Summer at low flows with a ducky. I haven't fished it in Summer but it should hold fish. You'll do a lot of dragging and carrying, but it is a rewarding trip.

8. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
  9. PT

PT Physhicist

When there aren't any more steelhead or salmon to chase in our rivers, I will take up kayaking. It's too hard to pass up the opportunity to fish, as long as I have the opportunity to fish.