What coating on Chironomids?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by bfic, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bfic Member

Marysville, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Anyone have any thoughts on the best clear "varnish" coatings for chironomids/buzzers bodies. I recently had someone tell me some fish are repelled by Sally Hansens and I read somewhere that some fish are repelled by some superglues.

Any definite conclusions in this area or just dumb fisherman superstition?
  2. Ryan Francis HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF ME, BUT THINKING

KALISPELL, MONTANA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I use Sally Hansens or I don't coat them at all
  3. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 8
    Coat them with Shrimp oil or salmon butter. I know some use Loctite with good luck.
  4. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +97 / 0
    I usually give mine a generous coating of Berkley Power Bloodworm spray before heading out...:p

I coat all of mine with Sally Hansens and I know others that brush on a thin coating of 30 min epoxy for added sheen. I like the convenience of SH and have had terrific days with ties treated with multiple coatings. I would ignore these rumors since once dry, there probably is a detectable smell but once diluted in water, an interested fish will take on sight and motion, not a sniff test.
  5. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Obi's right about the smell. Thank God the water fish live in, smells like fish!
  6. gotchasr Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I long ago started using Loctite brush-on super glue. Cheap, stays clear no matter what you do to the fly and with that much super glue your fly will NEVER fall apart.
  7. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I've used Soft-Tex in the past. Since the solvent is alcohol, it's not as noxious as either epoxy or the acetone in nail polish.

--Dave E.
  8. DSFlyman Member

Santa Monica, CA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If I coat them... it is Sally. She be so good to me.
  9. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    I use something called Delta Ceramcoat . It`s a Polyurethane varnish . Great product who`s only downside is that it takes a few minutes to dry . What I really like about it is that it looks like milk when wet , but dries to a nice glossy finish . The milky part is nice to see exactly where it has been applied . That , and the fact that it does not evaporate or thicken up in the bottle . I`m still only about half-way through a three year old bottle , and the products consistency is the same as the day I bought it . And it won`t yellow over time .

It is available in different finishes , mine is the Gloss .