What do cutts like?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by GUZ808, Dec 5, 2007.

1. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    Third year means that they are three years old. In the winter resident coho fishing can be very good in the south sound and they tend not to be overly picky most of the time. A good tan and white marabou clouser will catch a lot of fish. From what I can tell so far, it seems like this year's resident coho population is down a bit from last year.

2. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Media:
    I used to fish for SRCs when they were a little more plentifull and I found that Muddler minnows and olive woolly buggers were the best. Pretty much anything that looks like a sculpin . I you tie a bugger with a pheasant herl hackle like a traditional wet fly instead of the palmered hackle it gives it more of a sculpin look. having said that the biggest SRC I have seen caught was on a elk hair caddis fished dry in the puget sound.wierd.

3. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

GUZ, if I have this figured right, the silvers are incubated in the Fall of year 1, then transfered to net pens or other holding facilities (Minter Creek Hatchery) in the early Spring of year 2 and held there as late as conditions permit, usually around May or maybe the first of June, if we are lucky, and then released. They might be five or six inches long by then. If conditions are right, many stay in the Sound throught the Summer and over the next Winter. Now they are getting to be 16 to 18 inches or more and are of real interest to us. Those that don't end up seal snacks or meet other fates continue to grow through the next Summer, their third year, and are great quarries as Fall again approaches. There are fewer of them, but they are still feeding and the lucky fly flinger may find a few with his "shock 'n awe" or clouser tied to three inches long or so.

4. GUZ808

GUZ808 New Member

Great info thanks alot