what do you guys use for stud protection?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Panhandle, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Rubber mats add 50 lbs to the boat and carpet is major maintenance. What other options are there to protect the floor from studs?
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    You can do a spray in type bedliner. Unfortunately all venues have downfalls. At some feedstores they have thinner rubnber mats and you can buy the restaurant grade mats with holes in them. Both would reduce weight a bit.
  3. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Cheapest alternative is to buy a couple sizes of the booties that fit over your studded boots for wearing in the boat. I know Orvis has some, I'm sure Simms and Sage do (or will soon).
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    No studs allowed on my boat. Felt soles only.
  5. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Magnums.
  6. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    same here-no studs!
  7. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +869 / 1
    + Juan.
  8. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +733 / 0
    What are you going to do when they outlaw feltsoles ?
  9. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +363 / 1
    So you guys that say "no studs" don't get out and fish? I have no problem with studs. Of course I have a Al. boat with rubber covered wood decks in it. Yes the studs are tearing up the rubber, but I think thats better then calling the float short to run someone to the ER. because they slipped. I can always replace the rubber easier then a fishing partner.

Guess it would be a different story if I had a glass boat. I'd go with some vinyl flooring or something like that.
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    I use both studs and plain felt. I have no issues wading with either. If the bottom is so bad that using plain felts might be considered overly dangerous I suggest using a wading staff and an inflatable PFD. The no studs rule in my boat is enforced period.
  11. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +869 / 1
    I keep some small sections of the rubber flooring that Jerry described in the back of my truck for anyone who is wearing studded boots.
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    I have a cataraft. I put PVC lumber across the cross bars to allow footing for all. My fore and aft casting pods have 5/8" load bearing plywood with Line-X covered decks that seals the wood for life, won't be gouged by studs and overall is just about bomb proof. Wear what you wish for your wading and floating comfort, but DON'T STEP ON THE TUBES. I wear studded rubber or studded felts in my own craft all the time. You could get some thin plywood, get it cut to fit your standing areas and get it Line-X covered. It would be lighter than those heavy rubber mats and add the barrier protection similar to the aforementioned MAGNUMS!
  13. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +182 / 1
    I use the rubber mats. Don't worry about the weight
  14. Panhandle Active Member

What the hell are magnums? Or is this a reference to the condoms I'm known to use? By the way, thanks for the responses.
  15. Ray Member

Post Falls, ID
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Linoleum tiles may work pretty well.
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    Vasectomy?
  17. Panhandle Active Member

Done and done.
  18. saffman Member

Pagosa Springs, CO
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Cheap indoor/outdoor entry type carpet mats. Cheap, light, durable and no big deal if one gets lost along the way.
  19. Darold New Member

Kent, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Home Depot sells a 3x2' interlocking mats with holes in them. Not very expensive or heavy and they work great in my boat. I cut them with a rotozip tool to fit.
  20. themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

East Chicago, Indiana 46312
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm the only stud on my craft!