what do you guys use for stud protection?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Panhandle, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Eastside

Eastside Guest

Just bought some floor mats from Clackacraft and installed them in my 1985. They were $10 each and I used 7 to cover the rowing area and front floor. Didn't add significant weight to the boat. :thumb:

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just wear felt soled boots with no studs, or sandals, soft boat shoes, barefoot...

3. Fleshfly

Fleshfly New Member

A quality polymer coating like Speedliner with Kevlar will eliminate the problem permanently. The dealer in Portland is at 503-719-5041.

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So do boots without studs and it doesn't cost anything.

5. Tom O'Riley

Tom O'Riley Member

Lacrouse has slip on's that retail for about 12 bucks look for them at the co-op or farm supply I have used them for a few years in my Hyde the go on easey and the studs don't wear thru.

6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Member

7. Fleshfly

Fleshfly New Member

One application of a high tech polymer will only add about 15-20 pounds to your boat and allow you to dance on the floor with studded boats. Send me a PM and I'll provide info on a company in Portland that I've used. Drift boats seem to cost around $500-$600.

And shame on anyone who's making light of the need to do away with felt soles. They certainly work better than any of the new rubber soles but there is a VERY serious reason that they have to go. I've found a good set of rubber soles with studs works about as well a set of felt soles without them which means the condition of your drift boat floors will become an even bigger concern down the road.

8. Jmuss

Jmuss New Member

I bought a new Clackacraft last year and it came with mats. They are about 1/2 inch tall and are very light. I wear studs in my boots and have not had a problem with the mats. You will likely have to cut them to fit properly but that shouldn't be too difficult. I have them secured together with zip ties. Give the guys at Clackacraft a call and I am sure thet can help you out.

9. Fleshfly

Fleshfly New Member

A high-tech polymer coating is the lighest and longest lasting solution.

And FYI, it won't be long before felt soles are outlawed in all western states. Several states have already banned them and unfortunately a rubber sole with studs works about as good as a felt sole. Montana is taking the invasive species issues so seriously that we were stopped at two State check points on the way back from the Elk River a few weeks back. They checked the boat and all our wading gear.

10. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    hilarious !!!

11. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Pan, the company I work for manufactures pole vault pits, high jump pits, and other athletic equipment. Alot of what we use to manufacture these products is an 18 gram vinyl (similar to what most self bailers are made out of.) It is very lightweight, and just enough (IMO) to keep your boat safe from studs. Id gladly cut you a piece(in one of the colors we have extra) at no charge. We have enough material in excess that isnt large enough size to use for our equipment that I can sneak it out for myself and friends without hassle. Lemme know if u want to give it a shot.

-Blake
    Ps. we also make weather covers out of the same material. But I would have to charge you for one of those :beer1:

12. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    I use the rubber floor mats that have holes in them. These are called "Wash Mats" by horse people, we sell them at Skagit Farmers Supply in Stanwood. Very little extra weight as far as I can tell, but no problems wearing studded felt in my boat.
    I'll post a pic as soon as I can get the time.

LB