What do you know about tiger trout?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by IveofIone, Jun 10, 2014.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Tigers are one species I have little experience with and usually get my butt kicked when I try to catch them. I'll be fishing for these in a few days and wonder if anyone has any fatherly advice they can render before I go out and start flailing the water in another futile effort. On the morning of July 4, 2001 I caught over 40 fish on this lake in a couple of hours back when it was all rainbows. All on damsel patterns. But since the lake has become all tigers hookups have been few. I would like to break the code and be able to write a positive report about the lake, there should be some good sized tigers in there by now.

Ive

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    There should be if they have survived. Has the stocking gone down, meaning are there less Tigers stocked than bows? Is there a predominate bait fish in the lake. Once they reach a certain size the brown in them will likely take over and they will become more and more piscavarious by nature. They will also become more nocturnal or crepuscular. Therefore you may have your best chances at catching the larger fish by throwing largish bait fish patterns during the dawn and dusk periods.

This doesn't mean that they won't also feed during the day with the right conditions.

Good Luck!

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    One of the guys fishing at Dry Falls this past weekend caught one. He, like the rest of us, was working buggers with a dropper pattern on sinking line. I know what that group was using because I spoke with them while I was taking out the day before and suggested patterns and set-up. I've never really targeted them specifically except on Lenice some years ago when there seemed to be a spike in the population and they tended to congregate in the west end of the lake. I caught a few on chronomid patterns -- neat look markings, but otherwise nothing particularly special about them IMO.

4. johnk

johnk Active Member

Tigers, as you, know are a brown/brookie hybrid and they are very aggressive. Sometimes you will find them in the tulles busting minnows and some times they are deep feeding on chironomids. Opportunists like no other. Big leeches/woolly buggers are good starting suggestions. Tie all your leeches with your favourite beadheads and then tie some with chartreuse beads. I have a leech pattern that almost never fails on tigers. It is a size 8 2xl dubbed with black dubbing with red and blue flash mixed in and topped off with a 1/8" chartreuse bead. Sorry, no photo with chartreuse bead but you get the idea.[​IMG]

Jeff Dodd and tippet like this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I don't know much about tigers. But I saw the then state record 13lb tiger brought in for certification in Spokane in 2008. Looked like a nice Chinook. It was caught by a gear angler who had been hunting that particular fish for two years. Knew its habits and haunts, went after it often with an assortment of hard and soft baits until he fooled it, bonked it, and got himself certified as the state record holder.

The few I've caught have been incidental. Streamers and chironomids. They get very deep-bodied like brookies.

7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Ive, on the lakes that I fish with tigers and rainbows, I mostly catch the tigers in the shallows in the evening. I've mostly caught them subsurface on mini-leeches and soft hackles. I almost never seem to catch many of them in the daytime. The only exception seems to be in a lake that only has tigers. In those lakes, I've caught them all day and on dries and emergers as well as buggers/streamers.

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    So the jist of it is, Ive may have to change tactics and hit the dusk till full dark window for prime action, much like browns and brookies themselves. Nap the afternoon away, and hit it hard after dinner.

Freestone likes this.
  9. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I've gotten them at Lenice on Damsel Fly Adult surface patterns and tossing a mouse pattern at dusk. The mouse fish were scary.

10. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I don't know anything about Tigers, but I do know one of my best afternoon/evenings on a lake in the last couple years was throwing a small #10 black, pine-squirrel leach, on intermediate line, towards the reeds along a shallow (2-6 feet) bank. For about an hour I couldn't keep the tigers off it. Sometimes they would actually leave a wake as they chased it down.

Old406Kid and Scott Salzer like this.
  11. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Fortunately, I have caught my share of tigers. Best day was at DF fishing the shallow end under the observation area. I hit about 50-50 on bows and tigers that day 30 fish day. Pretty cool. I got them on woolley buggers fished towards the shore. Also used to pick up a few over at Nunnally, on emergers. Some even caught on chronies. I don't know that there is a specific technique or time of day that I found better than others.

Those wake fish are something, used to have that happen in the "aquarium" at DF when the water was a bit higher.

I know, not much help....

Good luck in your search.

MB

Freestone and Mike Ediger like this.
  12. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

I agree with everyone that has caught them in shallow water. All the tigers I have caught have been in shallow water. Sight fishing with a dry an droper, or casting at the cat tails and striping back fast. They are very aggressive! But as far as the time of day.. I've landed them whe the sun was up and shining.

13. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

My comment about them being crepuscular dealt with the fish when they reach a certain size and maturity and the brown in them tends to take over. I have also caught them in the sun, but those have been smaller fish 18" or smaller. Ive seemed to be suggesting that there were potentially some larger fish in the system that he might want to target and find.

14. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Easy Ira! Not questioning your methods, I've seen them in action! I'm just saying.. But ya, go big at night and you might get what your lookin for. I've found that they like it fast coming away from the bank.

Irafly likes this.
  15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

No tigers in that method showing though, only bows and a few browns. I was the last one off the lake that day though and still no tigers.

And yeah, it is all theories based more on reading than actual catching (although I have caught quite a few). My largest came from Lenice years ago and it was past that 20" mark.