What do you think?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    Only thing lame about it is the idea that the gentleman from new york is more likely to end up in more of the prime water then the local guy. If I hired a guide for a day I would want them to help me put my fly into the most likely water and help me to hook as many fish as possible. (that would be my expectation) Now though, that I am local, I am only going to be shown some of the good water, and the guy yesterday from newyork put his bead into spots that we are now avoiding, because your afraid of me coming back.

Again, I understand that, and I think I understand the logic behind it as well, but to be fair/less lame the local should get a price break, consistent with how many producing pockets/seems/boulders you have had him drift over with his fly on the other side of the boat :)
  2. thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Bend, Oregon
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    No beads here and no boats. Walk and wade for me.As a steelhead guide, believe it or not, my job is not necessarily to get you into"as many fish as possible" weather that's what you expect or not. My jobs is to give all my clients a fair chance at maybe hooking a fish or two. In that job are a million different scenarios that vary for each person you guide.

Any guide will tell you that there are days that you really like your clients and you get along well and will do a little more for them. That was the example I made with the New York guy scenario.The guy from New York may also need better water to fish because he is a terrible caster.Thats the only way I can give him a chance to catch one.That doesn't mean you are short changing everyone else. Maybe the local guy can make the cast in the good water that gets him his fish.Clients are different, and it's hard to guide everyone exactly the same, in fact it's not possible. Maybe this guy can make a cast you can't so I take him somewhere killer I wouldn't take you, maybe you can wade better than he can and that gets you into a different equally killer run that he couldn't wade. Maybe he doesn't like the water you like to fish, I will take him to water he likes to fish. Maybe he wants to fish dry flies only, that takes a whole new bag of tricks. Maybe you only want to fish sink tips in deeper runs......and on and on. It's endless. In addition to trying to put them in good water you are also trying fill the other expectations they have for the trip, how to learn a river right cach handed snap t, double haul, roll cast, steeple cast whatever they want to learn. There is more to it than meets the eye.
  3. attack Member

Forks, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I think you guys could answer your own question...let's say your not a guide...but on your home river you have maybe three or four spots if you are lucky that are super super dependable, were talking swinging steelhead so mabye if they are incredible they produce half the time. Now let's say you meet a new friend who also fishes the same river a lot. Its your first day fishing together...are you going to go to your super sweet overlooked spot no one knows about? Or are you going to fish productive water, just more obvious productive water?
  4. rick matney Active Member

Bozeman, Montana
    I stated above that I have way more of a problem with friends sand bagging me than clients.....
  5. thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Bend, Oregon
    Friends are the worst....agreed!
  6. Philster New Member

Imagine being a doctor. Or a financial manager. Only insurance salesmen are safe :rofl:
  7. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Sounds like the best course of action is to do your best not to learn anything or lie through your teeth:)
  8. Philster New Member

No. Just don't expect to be handed a golden ticket.
  9. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +832 / 0
    So, you're saying that guiding is immoral? Guides have an even greater responsibility to the resource in my opinion, and should act accordingly.
  10. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,572 / 0
    Derek,

Uhm, no offense intended, but you're making shit up. I never said guiding is immoral. That may be your value and your statement, but it isn't mine. Please don't attribute that to me.

Pimping probably isn't the best choice of words, although it accurately describes what guides do: they sell access, means, and methods to catch publicly owned fish to private customers who pay them for the service. I guess that pimp = salesman in this context. Because the resource is publicly owned, I agree with you that guides should feel an ethical obligation or responsibility to be advocates and activists on behalf of that resource. But there is no legal requirement that they do so; it's just in their self interest to do so.

Sg
  11. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,237 / 0
    Here's one scenario I've heard some DB's using. Let's say someone calls up a guide, wanting to get in on a very specific hatch. They tell the guide what hatch they want to fish, which are usually all in the timing. The guide calls up the client, saying the hatch is popping off in _____ stretch of the river, time to move. The client calls back the next day, cancelling the trip, only to go in alone. They just wanted inside information. This is one reason explained to me by a guide for having a non-refundable deposit. It probably happens less with hatches, then people trying to time out when sea and lake-run fish are moving into rivers. Is this a freak scenario, or do alot of guides have this problem
  12. Philster New Member

Really? Calling someone a Pimp isn't offensive? Does that make the river a whore. If we fish without a guide are we seducing the river or raping it? I say again good sir. We are men of action.
  13. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +521 / 0
    Being offended doesn't make you right. Grow some skin guys. Guides pimp rivers. It is what it is. No need to fight. Nothing to see here. Let's all move along now.

Go Sox,
    cds
  14. Philster New Member

Happens all the time. Hell, you want to know when the best time to fish a river is, call the best guides and ask for openings. Don't go then! :rofl: A smart guide will ask, "what's your timeframe"? I was working for a shop with multiple locations and was screwed by co-worker. Giving him info for customers on shore access and timing on stripers from shore in the SF Bay almost everyday since I fished daily before work. One time, for my own use, I call him up about timing for sight fishing leopard sharks on a flat up north by him, which I knew he fished, and I get "Nah man. There are no fish there" and he hangs up! Decision time, do I cut him off? Do I feed him shit so his customers end up on a mudflat with a dropping tide and they stop trusting him?

All the stuff that's being talked about in this post goes down all day, everyday. Guiding is a business. Cost benefit analysis goes on in a guides head minute by minute. Whether it's passing up a good run to try to fit in a better one before dark because this guy fishes so slow, or passing a hole because you've already got this guy into fish and this is a magic spot you want to save for tomorrow when maybe your client has gone fishless.

You're managing a fishing day. You have to make choices.
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,726 / 0
    I have heard many refer to guiding as pimping the river. I always thought it was an amusing connection. The river may not be a whore but she can be a fickle bitch. Men of action do not idle their time away on a river.
  16. 83455 New Member

Teton Valley Idaho
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Fat Man= swinger and lady slayer, never herd of a dude that was so tough on the eyes killin it with the ladies.....well I guess he did have a pretty fat pocket book.
  17. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    ???
  18. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Not sure what constitutes a golden ticket. I guess everyone has their reasons for hiring a guide. For me it's an opportunity to fish w/ someone who is a superior angler and can teach me new techniques, refine existing techniques, and learn something new about a river.
  19. flatheadmatt Member

Alberton MT
    I think as long as you are upfront with the guide, most will show you the basic mechanics of the river in question. Of course some prime secret spots would be withheld. Every guide has at least a few aces up his sleeve. I save mine for tough days...and they have saved me many times. Why not state your intentions, if the guide is turned off and refuses, find someone else.

One thing I do not agree with is- I know some guides that have hired the most senior guides on rivers for a day, then returned the next year to work on the same river. That I think is B.S. unless you state your intentions up front.

I think being called a pimp is a compliment.....pimpin AINT easy....
  20. troutramp Member

Mulino Oregon
    Hmmmm moral delima I think I know what a smart guide would do. Especially concerning west coast rivers and sea run fish. If I were the guide and I was posed with this scenario I would book the Local newbie and agree to show him around. And I would do my best to put him on fish. If you come to an understanding with the guide that if I am fishing that spot again I will either give way or give notice. The guide could even use the client in a way having him report his findings when out on his own, thus keeping up on the various locations he may not have time or had the inclination to fish. There would of course be pre requisites to this arrangment.