What do you use to flare materials on Intruders?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by bconrad, Feb 8, 2011.

1. bconrad

bconrad Member

So I've been messing around with a bunch of different types of materials for creating the hackle that keeps the ostrich/amherst/rhea/etc. standing away from the hook shank. I've tied some flies that look pretty good in softer water, but once they get a little pressure on them they tend to flatten out. The way I usually tie them is to put a ball of dubbing on, hackle on the flaring material, then spin in the big fibers.

I was wondering what you all have had success with. So far I've tried:

Schlappen
    Spey hackle
    Guinea
    Deer hair
    Bear hair
    Goat hair
    Artic Fox
    Pre made Puglisi dubbing brushes

There's probably a few more in there but I can't remember them right now.

What do you use? Does anyone know what Ed's using in the SM video where he ties that purple and yellow with Jerry?

2. Bryan Williamson

Bryan Williamson Willybethere

I believe Ed says it's Deer Hair he uses. But it looks like you've already tried it.

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I use a ball of crystal chenille as base for supporting hackle because it builds up super fast, and is pretty solid, but the hackle is not going to be supported beyond the diameter of the ball. That's one reason why ringneck tail is often used as hackle. it holds up pretty well to water pressure. Try the deer hair in front of your softer materials, up by the head. The theory is you create turbulence, which won't let your hackling "whip it's hair back and forth" but will make it look a little more interesting than a pencil in heavy flows. But with big flies like that, I always do my best work "deep grease line" fishing them. Once they start swinging, particularly AT a fish, I don't have much confidence in them. Maybe thats just me.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Yarn ball, under anything else. Rap it tight to the shank/tube. Push your longer fiber mats right up to it to cause them to flare out.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Deer hair, several wraps of schlappen, ball of dubbing or chenile...all work pretty good. I'm wondering if I can find some beads that will fit over the tubes to flare out the long fibers.

6. bconrad

bconrad Member

I've done it that way too. Gives a nice teardrop shape but the fly still tends to flatten out in heavier water.

I know a lot of this doesn't really matter to the fish...I've hooked a number on these "imperfect" intruders. I'm just really nerding out right now trying to get them to have that nice umbrella shape that separates the long fibers and makes them dance.

7. Speychucker

Speychucker New Member

I have been using the under fur from polar bear on my intruders awesome stuff.

8. Bighorn Flies

Bighorn Flies Member

9. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Mumbles, I am starting to tie on tubes specifically so I can use turbo cones on the front. Fished a fly with one, an they seem to make a really nice water vortex that flares out all the fibers for a wide, translucent profile. Come in several sizes and colors

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have a few of those cones. They are costly. I have some little metal craft bits that I'm gonna try. Not sure if they will fit the tube right, but if they will, they will push a lot of water. Post up some photos man, the world deserves to see the goods.

11. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I've been using arctic fox and they have been turning out well. I've been leaving in the guard hairs and cutting the skin side of the hairs closer to the dubbing loop before spinning. This gives it a nice ball of fur in close with the guard hairs flaring out. I looks plain juicy in water and seems to maintain it's shape in the faster water. It's good to pull out the short hair fibers first so they don't bunch up when you spin them.

I've been kind of geeking out as well on intruders this winter. I haven't been out as much, so it gives me something to do. I don't have any pics of this generation of my truders yet, but maybe I'll take a few and post them.

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Check out speyco cones. Not as slick, and none with porting, but a bargain.

13. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

Break the plastic off a wire nut, a red one's then screw the metal threads up the tube. Crimp it down with a pair of wire strippers.

14. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

On another forum it stated using braided mylar tubing. Tied in reverse, on the tail side of the fly and then the braided mylar tubing is pulled back towards the tail, turning it inside out to make a collar support. It showed some marabou splayed out, nicely supported by the reversed, turned inside out, braided mylar tube collar support.

Polar Chenille, 2-3 tight turns, makes a nice collar support.

I've thought about using sequins as a collar support, but I still need to get some sequins to see how effective they would be for a collar support. How about a small sequin supporting a reversed braided mylar tube collar support, the double collar support.

15. Spey Dog

Spey Dog New Member

I like to use chenille as I like the results.

16. andy.larkin

andy.larkin New Member

Polar bear undercoat, and polarbear fur in a dubbing loop is by far one of my favorite methods of creating a nice flared collar (Complimented with some Ostrich 'Spey Plume' fibers in a dubbing loop..)

17. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Spin/flare some deer belly hair, then in front of that spin some arctic fox in a dubbing loop, then in front of that put your marabou or rhea or whatever.