What do you wear over your stockingfoot waders?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by stealth tooner, Mar 12, 2010.

1. stealth tooner

stealth tooner New Member

I've had a hard time over the years finding a shoe large enough and comfortable enough to fit over stockingfoot waders without causing loss of circulation. The best I found was the now discontinued Teva Ricochet, an amphibious shoe, similar in style to a trail runner. It had enough toe box height and was wide enough. It was 5" at the widest part of the sole. Unfortunately my dad threw out both pairs I had. Since then I tried the Teva Sunkosi, but it was much narrower and flat. There's not enough toe box height. My toes and heels would go numb due to cold water, compression from the shoe, and water pressure. Now I'm using the 5.10 Savant a somewhat amphibious shoe designed for free runners. It's OK, but I still don't have ideal circulation. My toes still get cold in water up to 60 degrees. I don't have abnormally large feet either. I wear size 9.5-10 in street shoes, but had to go to a size 13 in the 5.10 Savant to accommodate the stockingfeet plus SmartWool mountaineer socks. I could have gone with a size 12 and had more than enough length, but the lack of width and toe box height become a problem.

What are you guys wearing? I'm looking for something light and low cut. Maybe something higher cut like a dive boot as long as they don't strangle my feet. I have doubts that a dive boot would work for me since it was designed to fit over bare feet. A stockingfoot is quite bulky. Oh and no wading boots. Last year I purchased a pair of Simms Headwaters boots and the combo of fins plus boots was too heavy with my legs dangling in the water. The boots were also way too stiff for the flexing action required when kicking.

2. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    I bought a pair of "Desperado" neoprene water shoes from NRS. They are very comfortable and work great inside flippers too.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I found that felt soled wading boots are very slippery on the polyethylene deck and hull of my fishing kayaks, and are definitely wrong for that application. I noticed that some surf booties I had did not slip on wet polyethylene, so I went down to my local surf shop and purchased a pair of new surfing booties, two sizes larger that I normally wear. They fit just about right over the neoprene stocking feet of my waders. I wear that outfit when fishing from my Native Ultimate 12, as I like to stand and cast.
    Also, being 5mm, they add thickness and warmth. I think the wader socks are 3.5mm. 8.5mm is a lot of rubber! Me feets never get cold wearing this combo. The boots I got were very expensive, about $70, top-of-the-line O'Neils.

I got size 13, and I normally wear size 11 boots.

When fishing the salt from my SOT, when I'm wearing my surfing wetsuit, I slip a 2mmm neoprene sock on over a thicker liner sock, to fill the extra space.
    Works just fine.

Check out REI Outlet for a current sale on some kayak booties. Saw some on their site yesterday. They were under $30. I don't know how good they are, though.

4. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I use diver booties and get them in size 12 I where 9.5 shoes and these fit well ,feet are comfortable and feet stay warm. I use socks I got at seattle marine supply called min 30deg socks. They were only 8 bucks or so and are the best I have found. The diver booties save the stocking foot waders from any damage.

5. stealth tooner

stealth tooner New Member

Would you be able to post a link to the O'neill bootie or maybe a picture or the name. I googled it and found some, but they look very slim, especially the upper part that goes around the lower leg.

6. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Alot of the catalogs that I have been getting have them. They are a snug fit around the top as they are meant to be that way. Go to a dive shop with your waders and try on a pair.

7. kvannice

kvannice Member

i use bare flat boots they were cheap it be a few years i think about 25 bucks i use 10-10.5 these are 11 also fox river socks work fine for me i'm in water temps from 38-65

8. TaylinLoop

TaylinLoop Many fish coup