What else can I do???

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steven Green, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    My quest to catch an SRC is failing miserably bawling: Worse than that, It seems that I am doing everything right that I can do. I am fishing as many promising great looking cutt beaches as I can find, With the sheer magnitude of flies I've used its mathematically mind boggling that none have them have worked, I'm fishing the incoming/outgoing tide, close proximity to creeks, and I'm constantly moving trying to find the fish. I don't know what else I can do. The frustration is maddening.

...I'll be back out there tommorrow to continue the pursuit.

:beathead:

Steven
  2. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    We will find them.
  3. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    What size tippet are you using Patriot? I generally go lighter than most guys using 4x, 9 ft + leader. 3x should be fine however. Fish spook easily in glass calm water. Try some of those ChumBabys this time of year. I will share a new fly as soon as I can take a pic maybe tommorow. What type of beach are you fishing? Look for a very boulder-largecobble like bottom if possible, seaweed growing on rocks, that sort of thing with some tide movement, even if slow movement. Try the last 2-3 hours of outgoing tide. I would try a generally slow retrieve with the chumbaby with maybe 1 foot strips. Try some bright flies. Try some marabou flies that look like small squid.
  4. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Preston Singletary mentioned that "March" is the month where you will see and catch the fewest sea-runs of any time of year, so don't sweat it. I used to fish with Preston at Lincoln Park back in the late 90's, I don't even know if he remembers me (that was back in the days of the "Swallow's Nest"), but he knows what he's talking about. If Preston says they are hard to catch in March, I wouldn' get too down on myself. Go looking for Coho! They are out there. Keep trying!! Jeff
  5. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    I pretty much agree with Jeff about March. In years past it has been generally slow fishing for me...........except this week... No intention of bragging here, ok. I just had an amazing week of SRC fishing. You probably saw my Sunday report. I went out again Wednesday and had around 13 hookups with fish beached at 17", 16", 15", 4 @14" on down the line losing maybe my 20 incher... And Friday I sorta did the same with 10 fish to the beach, 2 @ 17, 16, 15 on down and losing one that was easily 17. It's been absolutely crazy for me. I have been using a new fly I call the "Popsicle Stick". It has now proven itself. I will post it on here when I dig out my old digital camera. (My other camera gave up the ghost out fishing Friday). It worked best with quite a "slow" retrieve after a couple of strips after casting. I may now concentrate on "dryflies" for a change of pace and experimentation. Luck has been with me for March....:confused:
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Your new name is "larry-the-dog!":p
    Damn. Sure sounds sweet!

I'm leaving soon to check out the Jetty...looks like maybe some rain later. Lingcod opens here next Saturday.
    Jury duty snagged me for wednesday... looks to be the only decent weather day coming up all week...hmmm better take my gear, as the courthouse in Monte is halfway to the S Sound and S end of Canal from here.
    :thumb:
  7. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    I understand that cutt fishing is slow right now. I guess I didn't think it was THAT slow. I would try for rezzies but I have no boat and I don't know where to start with that. It also sounds like its pretty slim pickin's for the residents this year.
  8. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Cutthroat will be spawning even into the middle of May. Then you start seeing improving fishing as the fish regain weight and strength. Relax and don't try to make them a life mission. They'll come around soon, particuarly when the chum and pink babies get into the salt in numbers.
    Les Johnson
  9. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    It's not my life mission. Just frustrated I guess.
  10. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    OK. I promised to SHARE...... Attached is the pic of the "Popsicle Stick" I have been working with for SRC. The colors in the pic are not real true (the body is actually hotpink). Size #6

Body: Hotpink tying thread or flat wax thread

Tail: Off-white Arctic Fox tail tied halfway in on the bottom side of hook shank (not really necessary)

Mid-Wing: Tie in a clump of "Electric Pink" Angel Hair
    Mid-Wing: Over the Angel Hair tie in a small clump of Flourescent Pink Poly Marabou

OverWing: Chartreuse Bucktail

Try to keep things sparse. An alternative to the Electric Pink Angel Hair would be about 5 strands of pink Krystal Flash followed by some light or hotpink bucktail, then chartruese bucktail over that.

HOW TO FISH IT: Cast---When it hits the water strip it two quick strips, THEN A SLOW RETRIEVE OF 6" TO 12" strips. SLOW...be ready. Some takes were soft but most were good hard tugs. Word of caution: For some reason this week, the fish took the fly with a good swallow.
    GOOD LUCK
  11. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    It is slow this time of year. I fished 2 spots this week that normally produce fish for me almost everytime. Nothing for me.
  12. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    fishing cutts this time of year is bitter sweet. They do help you get your fix in for fishing, but its pretty much like fishing for down river steelhead.
    Target the resis and wait til the cutts have had a chance to recoup from their spawn.
  13. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    iagree I wasn't planning on being too successful in the first place. I released the fish quickly and didn't play them out. You are right, we should go easy this time of year. I can say the fish I beached were strong as heck tho. I fished three different locations as well.
  14. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +833 / 1
    I took a searun cutthroat class out on Sunday to a beach with chum fry and no cutthroat. They learned the first lesson about cutthroat fishing in March.

Leland.
  15. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Steven, I can relate. I've been out several times in the last month, hitting spots all over the place and no SRC. I had a couple to hand in January, but nothing since. I even saw a couple jumping right in front of me on Saturday, and threw everything I had at them and nothing! I think I will be out again on Wednesday and see what happens, but know you aren't the only one who is frustrated. I know I'll have a good day, it's just a matter of time, and what a day that will be! It would be really nice to have a week like dryfllylarry though.
  16. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Aren't they targeted with almost the same flies :confused:
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ha. Ha. Jim. You sound like an old friend of mine. Are you down in Ilwaco or Westport? I can be a dog sometime!
  18. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    They are targeted with similar flies but not the same areas. If you are catching cohos you might happen across a cutt.
    they arent mutually exclusive but they arent thick together either in most cases.
  19. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    The same type of beaches where the summer run salmon are? Like a beach with faster water? :hmmm:

I was under the impression that the resident coho fishing is winding down about now.
  20. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    The resident coho fishing is hot wherever you find them.