What else is out there?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jami_wa, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

I am going (try) to start tying, more because I'd love to fish with my own hand made flies. Also, just looks like an art I'd like to take up. I'd like to tie some things for "looks" too, not so much for use, like spiders and such. I am into entomology and have many insect books. My big Problem though is what is used to make them. Does anyone know of any substances I could use that don't smell so bad and don't have so many fumes? I get really bad migranes and this stuff triggers them.

2. crobarr

crobarr New Member

search "realistic flies" or "realistic fly tying" with dogpile/google. you will find some cool stuff. it will give you something to strive for after you get the basics and advanced techniques down.

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Go to your local fly shop they all have materials and most don't smell bad, only the owners might have some odor though :eek: In all being serious check out your local fly shop if you are interested in tying flies. You might have to shop for special items once in a while. I keep hammering my local shop with the question when are you getting the liquid lace in (take my hint Holiday sports) :eek:

Daryle

4. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

LOL Thanks! yeah I have hounded my local place....he seems to get stuff in that smells worse then epoxy, ick! I am sure there are substances out there I could work with just have to find them...I wonder if dental sites have stuff, they use alot of "bonding" that has to be somewhat easy to work with smell and fume wise?

5. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Jami_Wa,

There are a number of tiers out there (somewhere out there...) who have really taken realism in fly tying to a whole new level; some have had flies confiscated at customs because the flies were thought to be actual bugs. Fly Tyer magazine has been highlighting this side of fly tying over the last few years, at first sporadically and now as a regular column. One tiers from the realism school and who appears regularly in Fly Tyer is Paul Whillock. He has self-published a book, Flies as Art, which may help guide you (but I haven't seen the book myself). From what I've seen, these aren't what I would call beginners flies, but as they say, a journey begins with a single step.

Steve

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Well, the first thing is what smells bad? Chemicals, or dead critter parts? As long as it's chemicals you can avoid them. buy lots of aromatic cedar and use that instead of mothballs. Don't use head cements at all. Most of the time if you wax your thread right before tying your finishing hitches (knots) that's more than enough to hold your flies together. Or use super glue as a head cement. Most of them are odorless to me.

Dead animal smells? Well just store stuff in cedar and the smell will eventually get better :confused:

7. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Jami. You might look a Loon Outdoors products (most shops carry them). I also have a smell problems because I work in a small area. Loon Makes waterproof head cement and lacquers that are waterbased and have no smell (that I can tell). Good Luck!
    Charlie (troutaholic)

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

For head cement use Sally Hanson's "hard as nails" nail polish. Just cut the brush 'in half' to make it smaller. Secondly, there are a TON of fly fishing materials (at minimal cost) at any shop that sells sewing/knitting materials. Colours/textures/verigated/etc., and etc., for next to nothing in cost.

As for general materials (actual feathers/hair/fur) first figure out WHAT you want to tie, then just purchase those specific materials. You can 'expand' to your hearts content (and trust me!:rofl: , you will!!bawling: ) at any time forward.

Fish (to over simplify) key in on size, general shape, and colour, so having something on the end of your leader that looks like it just fell out of a tree is grossly over rated (imho). Start with simple patterns and work out from there.

Also get yourself a good 'how to' book on fly tieing (the one that comes to mind is in the Motor Home so I'm blank on the name); it's the best I've seen is the (fairly) new one by Amato publications. "List price" on the book is $100.00, but I got mine through Amazon at $62.50. Book is the size of the Seattle Yellow pages, thousands of colour photo's, three or four different ways to do a similar function (yes, there is more than one way to skin a cat), etc.

With this book you've got it all in one place.:cool:

Don't you just LOVE GOOGLE? Here's the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...6670-5089431?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

9. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you want to get started right, take a fly tying class. Most shops offer them. That will cover just about everything you need to know, plus there will be someone in person who can answer your questions. If you're not into that, I bet you might be able to bribe Ron Eagle Elk, or his wife Vicky into giving you a lesson. Both are superb tiers and just all around good people.

10. crobarr

crobarr New Member

the benchside reference can be had as a cd also. need a computer handy, so not as nice as the book, but it's about 1/2 the price.

11. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    If it is the smell of the fur you can wash them out in shampoo just make sure you rinse them out well. Do not wash any feathers in the shampoo that you plan to tie dry flies with or the hackle may become to soft.
    As for head cement any nail polish will do. I myself use more nail polish for tying flies in a year them Amie has in her whole life as make up. Of course she has never been one to wear much make up.

12. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Jami FWIW as a side note, "Super glues" of the cyanoacrylate type, may have little or no smell to you. This being that the female human being can, generally speaking, not detect the "bitter almonds" smell of cyanide, the odor you may detect will be that of the other compounds in the glue. This I learned from a short stint as a chemistry lab tech. Water-based products do have a little less odor than so the -ene and -one (toluene,acetone, Methyl- ethyl-ketone, etc.) based types. Another lifelong migraineur.

13. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

I can't say it enough...you all rule! So helpful and friendly, seriously where in cyber land, and real life for that matter, can you meet such great people like yourselves! Thanks for all the tips and information! Yay, I can tie without falling over from fumes. Oh, and it's not the materials that smell, (dead animal parts bawling: lol ick, well my cats bring me plenty of those I am used to that smell), it's the glue and epoxy smell that bites me. Heh, ...nail polish eh....I can just picture some of you manly looking men going in and buying nail polish! I am so glad they make water based products. Thanks again everyone!

14. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:

I just got out of Organic Chem Class, I dont need to come here and read more about it:mad: :beathead:

:clown: ;)

15. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Jami,

The shop on the west side of Olympia has a fly tiers night on the last Thursday of every month (I think). You might give them a call to be sure. There is usually a spare vise and tools hanging around in case someone shows up without them. Vickie and I usually try to make that one.

If we can be of any help, just drop us a PM or E-mail.

REE

16. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Second that.:thumb:

17. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Hehee yeah I go to the local dollar store and look for the glitter polish that teen girls use on their nails. It makes a killer fish scale finish on a clouser minnow. The clerks look at me kinda weirdly though :)