What exactly is a click-and-pawl reel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by msteudel, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Beats me. I never regarded Sage as a 'real' reel manufacturer :rofl: Unlike makers such as Hardy, Abel, and Ross who perform the process manufacturing in-house, aren't Sage reels usually built to their specs by others?

K

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I have a nice little TFO 1 reel for my 3wt - brand new click n' pawl (but only comes in the 1 size)

3. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Made by others or not, their 2580 will clamp down on running Stripers pretty darn well.

And yes, there is a 3000 with a click & pawl. It uses a plastic clicker. I didn't like it at all, mainly because of the c&p - I prefer nice quiet reels. Give me a GLoomis Venture anyday...

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

I thought it might be the price tag :clown:

Doesn't the venture have plastic too :confused:

5. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Aren't you forgetting about the Islander IR series?

6. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    I really like my little Ross Colorado... great reel for cutthroat on the sound!

7. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Hard to forget something I never knew ;) I'm sure there are other CP reels out there.

K

8. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

$100 for a fun reel is hard to beat :thumb:

I was referring to the pawl actually being plastic. I've got no problem with that. The only time I really worry about plastic in my reels is when they try to slip in plastic bushings. And that, the Venture does not have.

9. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Here is a shot of a Hardy Sunbeam showing the exposed palming rim.
    Not the most attractive model Hardy ever produced but then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

TC

10. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    Click/pawl is the way to go. As others have mentioned, there's nothing like a hot fish burning line off a Hardy.

I fish with a Marquis Salmon. I haven't had a problem landing steelhead. I've had fun with some chums. One of my last outings a chum ran so fast the rim cut into my finger when I was palming it. It was on the Skagit and that fish had room to run off 60 yrds in seconds. Man that was one speedy fish, and yet I had no problem with line overrun. Palm rim was feeling sticky and l look down to see my reel covered in blood. Still, I wouldnt fish any other way if I could.

I damaged one of my Hardy reels and it is in for repair. On the spey pages site, someone was saying that Hardy may re-introduce the Marquis's again. I e-mailed Hardy on the topic, but received no reply. What I would Jone's for is a click pawl with the sound of a Hardy and the finish of an Abel.

After fishing with a click-pawl, it is hard to go back to a disc drag. Why would anyone want a strong drag system in the NW. Its like you hook the fish and see a wild ballet in motion with a click pawl. The alternative with a disc drag is like watching some one try to pull a semi with their teeth. Strain...inch....stain...inch...dead.

Joe

11. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Word!

K

12. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    Hardy is absolutely the best click and pawl out there, bar none. And I have had them all. Its like music, to hear a steely run with that line. The last steely I had was on a hardy lightweight, and no the drag didn't hold. But it was awsum. And yes I landed it.

13. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

For perspective, let's classify fish into two categories: those we normally measure in inches, and those we normally measure in pounds.

Trout are definitely in the first category. As a boy, I developed a lifetime goal to catch a trout of over five pounds. I haven't done it yet (although a 22.5-incher from a B.C. lake may have come close). Even a good-sized trout weighs less than a cat. We love trout because they're living jewels, not because they're big enough to give us a physical contest. And for trout and most other fresh-water fish, click-and-pawl reels are entirely reliable. Disc drags are pointless for such fish, and for the smaller reels for light lines, they're rediculous. C&P reels have the minor virtue of mechanical simplicity and the major virtue of a sound that delights the senses and lives in the memory. I have Orvis CFO click-and-pawl reels in four sizes, plus a smaller Hardy. They've served me with utter satisfaction for half a lifetime.

I also trust a brick-weight Young 1540 for the 20-lb.-plus Skagit steelhead I hope to meet someday. It has strong c&p plus rim control.
    However, a handsome Young Beaudex was retired from spey fishing after one season, after a chum salmon ripped off 200 yards of backing before breaking off. The reel's single pawl and lack of rim control left me with a blistered finger or two.

The Pflueger Medalist's drag is a caliper-regulated disc, not as strong as modern disc drags, but adequate for most things, as many an angler can testify. Remember photos of Ted Williams, who could have afforded his weight in Vom Hofes, with a battered Medalist on his salmon rod? Add a rim control, as with the 1500 series, and you have the angling equivalent of a .375 H & H Magnum: not quite an elephant slayer, but a thumper for anything else.

14. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    jeeezaass Kent, good one there. really

15. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Yeah, I can see the price of used Hardy's on eBay going up by 10%-15% this spring just as a result of this thread ;)

K

16. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    ok Kent you sold me I'm looking for a hardy now.

17. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Sh!t :cool:

Happy holidays,

K

18. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    :thumb:
    Nice reel! Very nice explanation as well!!:thumb:

19. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    I think the Lamson ULA-P is some sort of a click pawl variation... can't find a photo of the guts though.

20. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Hardy to reintroduce the Marquis. Rumors about what Hardy may or may not do are rampant on the internet.
    It doesn't seem to fit with the direction that Hardy is going with their product line these days. Even if they did bring it back it would be different. Currently only reels in the Hardy Classic Series (Lightweight, Bougle' and Cascapedia) are still made in England. The rest are all outsourced to Korea. Soon it may only be the Cascapedia that is made in England. The decision to outsource was a matter of survival.

On another note, the Abel Creek is still a click drag.
    Without trying too hard, if you dig around can find at least a dozen current reels that are still click pawl reels but you won't find many in your typical flyfishing shop.

TC