What flies to use at pass lake?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by locoflyfisher17, Feb 9, 2006.

1. I was wonder what the best flies were to use. I haven't fished that lake in a while. And what line u guy think is best for this time of year. Is the closest place to camp in the park down the road and over the bridge? Anyone going to be up there from 21 to the 26?

Well, thx for the help guys!

Best of luck too you Kasey :thumb:

2. There is a campground right across the street from the boat launch, and another one across the bridge. As for the flies, just experiment, try some midges and streamers. See what's in the water.

3. Are you sure that the camp area is open there?

4. Cone head muddler minnow,intermediate sink

5. As for flies, if you're trolling use something like a big leech or carey bugger with some flash in it. If your tossing flies up against the bank use some kind of bait fish imitation usually in olive or brown that looks like the fat head minnows that live in the lake (buggers work too).

As for lines, intermediates, deep full sinking, and floaters (like that helped).

March will be prime chironimid time at Pass Lake. You might want to hang a big size 12 black snow cone or blood worm at 18 feet in "choronimid cove" there.
    Good Luck.
    Joe

6. That first campground is not open all year, but not sure when it opens. You have to register at the main gate on the other side of the bridge anyway.
    The old black wooly bugger fished slow at around 15 feet is a good place to start. Look for chronies coming off. with the weather what its been almost anything could be moving, but these frosty nights kinda undo the warming of the nice days.

7. Kasey,I do know that the grounds there at Bowman Bay closes at dusk,as for Decption,I'll ask for you and post an answer(it will be Monday),but there is a little hotel at Campbell Lake you might want to stay at,right on 20 you can't miss it....Good Luck,Alan

8. ..here's one that used to work;

Attached Files:

• PLS.jpg
      PLS.jpg
      File size:
      125.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Chironomids near the bottom.

10. Loco,
    Surfcandy and I have been making a meal of Pass Lk. lately, and I will be happy to give you an up to date 411. Davy is right about the pattern he has included a thumbnail for. I have bottom contour maps and some other shiz to share. If you're interested, PM me. Largest fish so far has been over 22" (it went zipper to zipper from one armrest of my fishcat to the other) and all fish over 16" with the Avg. being 19-20". Surf hooked into an absolute monster, but turns out his 6 wt. was no match for the pig, guessing it to be close to 30". Chironimid fishing is OK, but relatively slow compared to some other methods we've used lately. Have seen people camped at the park across the street, don't know what the deal is with that (open/closed?).