What fly fishing clubs do you guys go to?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Burke, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    My dad had mentioned the Olympic fly club, but I don't see it listed in the clubs section. He thought it still met in Edmonds. I talked to somebody today up on the NF Stilly and he mentioned the Evergreen club in Everett. I can't wait for the Nano Spey Clave on the 19th. I need more info from clubs.

Matt

2. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

Overlake Fly-Fishing club (www.offc.org).

Cheers,

Michael

3. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

I GO ALL THE WAY FROM AUBURN TO BE WITH THE GUYS FROM EVERGREEN CLUB IN EVERETT... LONG DRIVE FOR THE MEETINGS, BUT WELL WORTH IT. GREAT GUYS, GREAT CLUB, GREAT OUTINGS. NO EGO'S, NO PRESSURE... GOOD TIMES.

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I belong to the Washington Fly Fishing Club. It's the oldest (started 1939) and largest club in the state. We meet in downtown Seattle. It has some pretty hefty horsepower folks in it (some names you may recognize are Steve Raymond, Les Johnson, Preston Singletary). One of my primary reasons initially for joining is because of the depth of knowledge in the group; thought I might be be able to pick up a scrap of knowledge or two. Also, the club is very active.

It's a men only club, which is an issue for some folks.

5. Cutthroat_Fight

Cutthroat_Fight New Member

Yakima, I live in Everett can you forward me the contact for the club :THUMBSUP

6. Cutthroat_Fight

Are these clubs expensive to join?

7. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

8. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    What's the Nano Spey Clave? I've never found any kind of spey club in Washington.

Circlespey

9. Sparse Grey Hackle

Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Media:
    I've got at couple of clubs that I belong to that you might like:

First I've got to agree that its hard to beat the Overlake Fly Fishing Club. Best decision I made last year. It is truly a flyfishing community. It costs $35 to join and somewhat less than that for the annual fee, but your money goes to a reserving the location for good dinner each month, guest speakers, and renting out a room for a mothly fly-tying roundtable where some real savvy tiers teach you things from their experience. You also have access to a large how-to and destination video library and boxes upon boxes of flyfishing books that you can check out from the library. Be friendly and open and people will eagerly share their knowledge and friendship with you.

The other club is the Washington Hi-Lakers. Cost of the membership is an annual payment of $10-15 which essentially goes to to reserving the room at Mercerview Community Center in Mercer Island. The members of this club are generally pleasant, but it is not as intimate of a setting as the OFFC. What you will find is this club will teach you a great deal of info about indentifying races of trout, salamanders and other amphibians, and you will obtain information from guys that absolutely love to hike into aquamarine lakes that are surrounded by granite slides, cliffs, glaciers, and chock full of cutthroat. It appears to me that generally, the club is more into hiking than fishing. The club is full of total smart-asses and their humor enought is worth the $10-15. Regardless, you learn to survey lakes which is a trait that that gets you in good with Fish Biologists. You may even obtain information about "zipper-lip fisheries." Golden Trout, Grayling, larger Cutthroat... I would describe the relationship between surveyor and Fish Biologist as highly symbiotic.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

This isn't a club, this is just something someone dreamt up to do this saturday at the Ben Howard boat launch. If you Spey fish and suck at it this will be the place to come.There's quite a few people from here that said they were going to show up and if you don't (people) I will hunt you all out and break all your rods. :TONGUE

Jim

11. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I'll be at the Nano spey clave. Looks like a lot of these clubs don't meet when I'm off. One of the hazards of working eve shift/swing shirt.

I may end up taking some time off for those club meetings.

Matt

12. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

Hi Circlespey,

The announcement for the nano-spey (spey, milli-spey, micro-spey, nano-spey :AA ) was posted a week or so ago. For details, go back a page or two and look for Nano-clave in the title.

Also, you can find a similar posting in http://www.flyfishingforum.com/speyclave/. Click "General" and look for the topic "Announcing a Nano-Spey Clave".

It's at 11:00 AM, this saturday, 19 Oct, at the Ben Howard Boat Launch, Monroe, WA.

Hope you can make it. I've got a pretty good response, so far.

Cheers,

Michael

13. displacedcheesehead

displacedcheesehead New Member

I belong to the Lower Columbia Flyfishers. Great club with great members.
    They meet the first Tuesday of every month. At the Red Lion Inn in Kelso.

We don't have much of a website but I'm working on it. :)

14. 0012

0012 New Member

Alaska Fly Fishers
    Meets 1st monday of every month if any of u are ever up here
    www.alaskaflyfishers.org
    Tight Lines From Alaska
    0012 :THUMBSUP

15. Cutthroat_Fight

hmm...dumb question...what is Spey fishing?

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Show up Saturday and get a lesson and you can meet up with the old man. Opps I shouldn't have said that. No nobody will show up and I've jinxed another outing.

Jim

17. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jim,

How fast do you type? I mean with the shakes and all!? I think you've got the most posts out of anybody. And if you do the two finger type job like my old man then you must spend hours on your computer. Now if you do the three finger shuffle you are getting somewhere.

MacRowdy

18. Preston

Preston Active Member

Speyfishing is a term coined to describe fishing while using the Spey cast. The Spey cast was a technique, developed in the nineteenth century on Scotland's River Spey, that allows the angler to make long casts in areas that have little room for a backcast. Basically, the cast entails loading the rod by forming a D-shaped loop with the line behind the angler while the fly and leader are still "stuck" in the surface film of the water in front of and either up- or downstream (depending on the current direction) of the casting position. The cast can be made with a single-handed rod, but is more commonly performed, and really comes into its own, with a long (up to fifteen feet or even more), two-handed rod. In this country such rods have come to be known generically as "Spey" rods. At one time almost entirely restricted to Atlantic salmon fishing in Europe and the British Isles, these rods and techniques have become very popular among steelheaders over the last twenty-five years or so.

19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Other advantages

that spey gives the angler besides longer casts is better line control due to the longer rod and better fish control once hooked due to longer rod with the lower handle functioning as a fighting butt. Although the longer rod can make landing a fish more difficult. Also, one can cast heavy sink tips with very little effort without wearing your arm or elbow out during a long day of fishing. The list goes on.

Oh yeah. Fidalgo Fly Fishers.

20. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Northwest Fly Anglers meets the 3rd Thursday of each month at the Haller Lake Community center at 12579 Densmore Ave N. Tomorrow nights speaker is Steve Probasco with a show on Montana streams. Fly tying at 7 PM by guest, meeting starts at 7:30 PM and runs until 9:30 or so. Membership is about $25 a year (my wife pays it so I don't recall), great outings (the Deschutes this coming weekend), coed, monthly raffles, good comraderie, great library for members, great classes, etc. Come on by!

Randy