what fly for salt?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by stewart dee, Jan 27, 2010.

1. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am going to fish some salt now since the C&R season is at an end. Any top five flies? I need to think about some time with the vise and some salt materials. I have considered poppers and small bait-fish? Thanks.
    My plan is to just walk the train tracks along beach-front and scope for fishy water.
  2. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    i usually stick with different variations of clouser minnows, lefty's deceiver, different euphasid patterns, etc. haven't had too much success with poppers but i haven't exactly put in much time to it either.
  3. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +850 / 1
    I fish poppers 95% of the time and have a lot of success. In fact, almost every fish I catch is on my popper.

Leland.
  4. Orange_Caddis New Member

Salem, OR
    Does anybody know if surf perch will take a fly on the surface (like a popper)? I've been thinking about this off and on for the past month and haven't found an answer yet.

Jason
  5. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    what do you think mr. Miyawaki would say?
    that guy crushes

i also use a surface fly which is more like a gurgler
    clousers
    decievers
    wooly buggers in black or olive
    and a floating euphasiid that you can flick right on the beach when the tide is pushing into estuaries
  6. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    I continue to devote a lot of my time to my "Popsicle Stick". Size 6 for sea run cutthroat, Size 4 for coho. It ain't fancy, but I'm still working on that. I have had tremendous success with this fly. I fish it relatively slow to moderate speed for cutthroat, and fast for coho.

The tie is:

Tail: Dirty white Arctic Fox Tail
    Body: Hot Florescent Pink Ultra Thread (1/3rd to 1/2 of front portion for the hook)
    Lower Wing: Florescent Pink or Red Angel Hair or Fibers (provides the flash)
    2nd Lower Wing: Poly Marabou Florescent Pink
    3rd Lower Wing: Sparse Hot Pink or Medium Pink Calf Tail
    Top Wing: Chartruese Calf Tail
  7. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    larry, great fly. I tie something similar with olive or chartreuse, pink, and white belly except I create a head profile with epoxy to finish it off. Tied on a size 6 or 8.
  8. stewart dee Guest

I like the info, Thanks. I do look forward to hookups on a popper, it will be exciting for a visual on a vicious popper take. I expect a chrome popper head followed up with chartreuse and white body can make up a deadly combo?
  9. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Google, miyawaki popper, and look at the images, you'll see there are different color combinations. For instance here's a pink one, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://opff.org/assets/flies/beach_popper.jpg&imgrefurl=http://opff.org/a_campbells_beach_popper.php&usg=__ST_NqJWUad4Am6u0xjlrUBWK4lw=&h=300&w=400&sz=10&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=-ZZFHyT_3mFHFM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmiyawaki%2Bpopper%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1.

Also I suggest you start casting while you're at the water's edge, then cast a 180 degree arc. With a popper I find you pick up a good number of cutts in very shallow water.
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Chum fry, they are a predatory fish food source.
    Sand lance, when not hibernating they are a predatory fish food source.
    Thorn river emerger, I like how it looks and it has worked for me.
    Poppers, the Miyawaki or your own creation, very exciting build up to the dance.
    Reverse spiders, all that pulsating action will find fish if they are around.
  11. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +289 / 0

does that come in other flavors?
    have you tried
  12. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    fished a gurgler this morning in the back of an estuary
    big splash
    maybe 3 feet of water
    i knew i had only one or two shots at him
    the water is super clear

cast the foamie out thereand was short
    next cast flew right over the spot
    two hard strips that caused two bubbles and the slab flew out of the water and down on to the fly
    this rezzie had huge belly
    missed him
    three more strips and a the fly is gone
    but alas it surfaces w/o the fish

he was spooked after that and wouldnt chase the reverse spider or the bugger
    o well im supposed to be working anyhow

note: the fish was active during dead low tide (for every rule... )
  13. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    My friend landed the biggest sea run I have ever seen (24") on a gurgler. It was a monster. I will be experimenting further in that area...
  14. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    he is still out there
    girthy as ever
    fished out of the kayak for fifteen min
    using a black gurgler and a snot dart
    nada
  15. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA

Lealand what do you use the other 5% of the time?
  16. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Flatwings
  17. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Stew. where you planning on fishing? Pm me...my turn..
  18. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Summer: don't forget the sculpin patterns. They've worked really well for me.
  19. stewart dee Guest

Sweet, I will be out there on the salt after Feb 15th. I think this type of fishing could get addictive. I only have two handed rods, I think a 13' 7wt could be the hot ticket.
  20. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    Let me know if you wanna head out sometime. I've been fishing down south p.sound with some good success.