What fly for top water feeding Crappie

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by jumpin, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jumpin

jumpin New Member

any ideas? Poppers? I could use some help, Im new at this.

2. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Any of the small, micro bass poppers will work. The little foam spiders are great too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403315004.630475.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403315014.041260.jpg

I catch many, many crappie using this popper. It's tied using a 5/16" diameter head using Gary Krebb's popper jig, I've also used the Rainy's Pee-Wee popper bodies, both work well. The rubber legs are generally not necessary as I have not noticed my catch rate increasing or decreasing with or without legs.

Kcahill and Irafly like this.
  4. Doug Lee

Doug Lee Member

If the crappies are at the surface try a popper or spider with a 14 or 12 pheasant tail nymph dropper. Lethal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    As crazy as this may sound, just tie on a bigger "foam" dry fly, like a Chernobyl ant or hopper. I was casting to some a few years back, just because I was bored, and I didn't have any poppers. In fact, you could just about tie on any dry that will stay afloat and probably have success.

I caught my two biggest bass this year with a muddler minnow stripped on top.

However, if you do have the mini poppers, then I'd go with them first. Get a black, white and green one. Chances are any of them will work, but once in a while they get "moody".