What gun safe?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +495 / 2
    What's a good gun safe to buy?

I'm going to reclaim my father's .22 and 12 gauge from my uncle (my father passed away a decade back). And I'm not the kind of guy who needs/wants to have his guns out for easy access or display. We've got more and more kids in the house these days and we'll be having one of our own next spring. Plus, I don't need to give anyone any more incentive to break in and steal my stuff.

So I'm looking for a nondescript and functional gun safe to put in my shop. Any thoughts?
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +764 / 1
    Seriously, most safes will thwart most thieves, and kids. As long as it's bolted to something solid, floor or studs in the wall. Look to see that the locking bars engage both sides of the safe. Most thieves (like the assholes that hit my safe) will just end up busting off the handle and combination knob. It will cost a few bucks to have a safe repairman open and repair it but your guns and stuff will still be there.

Head down to Mt. Vernon and check out Sportsman Warehouse, or Kesselrings in Alger.

If you're not a collector, a 5-6 gun safe would do just fine. Maybe stash the Mrs' pearls in there too.
  3. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    HEY ROPER, HOW HARD IS IT TO SET UP ONE OF THOSE SAFES TO THE WALL OR FLOOR?? DOES IT COME READY TO GO, OR DO YOU HAVE TO DRILL OUT SPOTS (ON THE SAFE) FOR THE BOLTS??

THANKS
  4. Brent Comer Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Ty, all of them that I've seen have been pre-drilled. Most include hardware. You might need a hammer drill and the correct bit if you want to mount the safe on a concrete pad.

5. klintd Member

South Sound
    I have a friend that made a safe on a budget. He ended up using a heavy duty job box as the safe. When stood on end it was long enough to stand rifles and shotguns. He bolted it to the floor of his shop.

The job box does have a lock and key but it nowhere near theif proof as a real safe.
  6. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +764 / 1
    Ty, Brent is correct, they come pre-drilled. Lag bolts will suffice for studs but lead sleeved lags are needed for concrete. Home Depot and Lowes carry any hardware you would need to bolt one down.
  7. tythetier Fish Slayer

WASHOUGAL, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    COOL GUYS THANKS! WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT SOME, BUT I NEVER REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT HOW TO KEEP IT IN ONE SPOT, RATHER THAN JUST LOCKING UP ALL OF THE GUNS IN ONE SPOT FOR THE THEIF. WE HAVE JUST BEEN TRYING TO FIND ONE TALL ENOUGH FOR THE 5'10" LONG BARREL FLINT LOCK FROM THE LEWIS AND CLARK DAYS.
  8. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Josh,

I inherited my dad's gunsafe when he passed away in 1995. I don't remember the make, but it's one of the bigger models that has one side designed for long arms and the other side contains carpeted shelves for handguns or whatever. Although it's not as long as a Kentucky rifle, my 1884 Springfield Trapdoor rifle (32" barrel) fits perfectly with about a foot to spare. I can also store most of my bamboo fly rods in it. The shelves come in handy for a variety of things I never gave much thought to, initially, such as important papers, optics, keepsakes, etc. I don't know if the newer safes have any environmental controls or not, but if not don't forget to purchase a "goldenrod" for your safe. It's a simple electrical aluminum shaft with plug that heats up a little and keeps the interior at a fairly constant temperature and helps to control moisture, humidity, etc. I think most new safes come with a small hole near the bottom where you can thread the plug through. My dad bought this goldenrod back in the late 1980's and it's been running 24/7 ever since. Never failed, which is amazing. Cheap, too, @ $30.

Cliff

goldenrod: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...340299&cm_ite=0005569210423a&_requestid=15023

Goldenrod:
  9. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +411 / 0
    I was going to say "get thee a goldenrod" but Cliff beat me to it.

Anyway, get a goldenrod!

You can spend a bunch or not so much on a safe depending on whether or not you want something fireproof.
  10. qrider13 Member

pasco, wa
    Most of the safes are pretty good from places like Sportsmans or Cabelas. Make sure that the locking bars engage both sides of the door. Removable doors are very good, since then you have almost equal packages (roughly 60-40), which makes it slightly easier to move.
  11. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Liberty Safe makes a pretty well regarded safe. There are 3 or 4 in the top tier as I understand it. Have family with same. RMEF model..

Definenetly bolt her down . And a dehumidfyer is good a swell. I believe a certain threshold of fire protecton must be met to make the safe "fully" tax deductible. All safes recieve a 2 or 300 dollar fed tax credit I believe. Unless they took that back away again.
  12. GreenHighlander New Member

Spokane,Wa
    The only thing I would add is buy a fire rated safe at least 30 min, As a FireFighter I have seen the results of guns and things not in a rated safe.
  13. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +495 / 2
    Yeah, that makes sense. No reason to shell out a pile of cash and not be able to actually protect some important stuff at the same time.

Those things are great. My family has used them for everything from anchor chain lockers to pianos. They work very well.
  14. North Sounder New Member

Hansville, Wa
    Hi guys,
    Thought I might mention that costco.com is running a pretty good deal on gun safes. They had a 12/24 gun safe for 650 delivered.
    Mine should be here by christmas.
    Tom
  15. Captain Emo Member

Cleveland, OH
    Costco has gun safe online. They will deliver. I prefer pick-up. No knuckleheads in your house to see where it goes.
  16. scottr Active Member

Chasing trout and birds
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Home depot usually has a 12 gun safe for about $350. I think it is rated for about 30 min at 1200F. I believe it is made by Sentry. This is what I will likely get.

Edit: Issaquah Home Depot had 4 in stock yesterday, they are made by Sentry, have 3 bolts in the door, weigh 260 lbs, pre-drilled to be bolted to floor and cost $369.
  17. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    Safe's are generally for theft and fire prevention. Sounds like you might be looking more for inhome security... If that is the case, go to Walmart...they have a nice metal gun cabinet with locking door. Provides security, looks fairly nice (dark green) and is a LOT cheaper, but isn't much for fire/theft. I have both, and use my safe, but used the locker for security/safety more than for fire/theft protection before I spent the $$$ for the safe.