What is a good PNW winter steelhead rod??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, May 29, 2011.

?

what is your PNW winter rod of choice?

1. 7wt

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. 8wt

36 vote(s)
    55.4%
  3. 9wt

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Golf, if you proceed down this road be sure to find a good hiding place.

My Wife: "What the hell, where did this reel come from?"

Me: "Oh, Honey, I've had that thing for awhile."

My Wife: ( A very side-ways skeptical look)

Me: Look away quickly before I crack a smile.

2. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Only in the spey forum can a simple inquiry turn into a big dick contest. The rivers open ladies go clean the pipes and get your casterbate on!! All you guys crack me up. I'm surprised it hasn't gone to bead talk yet! Go fish.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Actually, what's even more annoying are the people who get on their high horse and take the time to post how absurd "we" are. :clown:

4. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

Im not on a high horse. I just seem to pick up on a few things like fishing gear near fly guys last year and they tried to look down there nose at us. I really don't give a rats @$$ on how you fish or how many fish you catch you are not better then me any way you slice it. Just the way I feel and live life. Everyone has a opinion just like butt holes. Some are festered and stink something terrible just life I guess. Just thought Id see if anyone else had the same thoughts. So I hope I didn't upset to many of you guys. I like the people on this site, lots of help on here.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Argument and debate is healthy, educational even for the astute. However the original question has been answered pretty well. A good Spey rod for PNW winter steelheading is a 7 or 8 wt in terms of popularity, but heavier and lighter wts can be suitable. For a novice, going with what is most popular may not be the best choice, but it's likely to be a good choice. Same with single hand trout rods; there must be a reason why 9' 5 wts outsell all other rods, maybe all other trout rods combined. It's a good enough choice that I must have 2 or 3 of them, just as I have more 7 and 8 wt Spey than lighter or heavier rods.

Sg

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I have a warehouse business so I get to see everything first and can hide it in my shop...but as time has gone by those side-ways looks have basically just been an excepted norm...though I have made it clear to my buddies, If I die, they are to come down and make sure who gets what and for the right price!!! LoL...
    Can't kill me twice!!!

Thanks for the offer for the long rods, I'm not ready to go there yet...When I get the chance to actually get more then a day or two off in forever and I can start spending time on the CW and other big rivers, then I'll start that journey...

Salmo G is dead on with the single hand thing and it does apply to spey though I tend to forget...My first rod was a 14' 8wt and was told that is the easiest to learn on...so there you go....

7. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I will say that longer spey rods are much better for nymphing beads.

8. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    I've been lurking on this thread because I don't really have much to add (the only 2-hander I own is a Beulah 7/8 switch, which I really love btw)...but that was damn near the funniest thing I've read on here...only because I think I had that very conversation (verbatim) with my wife at least once (possibly more) within the last week.

9. Dave Henry

Dave Henry Member

Home Page:
    You need the 10'6 2/3/4 that Bob rolled up for me Paul. 222 grains of SGS magic.

10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I believe the question was regarding Winter rods. Since I'm down to two, I'll choose a 13'8" 9wt., with a Delta MT. Unless conditions allow the 6wt with similar line. Been the Skagit route, appreciate the advantages, prefer a bit longer line.

11. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Oops. Pretty late to the fair, huh?