what is a six pack?

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Tony the Trout, May 8, 2007.

1. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

I know about beer but a fly?

2. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    It's a softhackle and if memory serves me correctly It was named after the price of one of the originals.

3. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

LOL, pricey fly. Thanks

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    well, a soft hackle to be sure. The body and hackle are wrapped with pheasant rump dyed a very specific color or olive / green on 3X hook . The originator of this fly used some very, um, interesting dyes, many of which were based on cow urine to set the color. The gentleman is no longer with us having passed almost two decades ago. I believe someone has his dye recipes ,or some of, but whom I have never heard. That brown/olive/green he made I have never seen duplicated on any or on the Six-Pac you find in racks. His many fishing related possessions and books were sold as a fundraiser for flyfishing groups in the Seattle area way back when. Perhaps someone even ended up with some written instructions for his dyes. Great fly forsure. Highly popular at Pass Lake 30 years ago. Was automatic for the big cutts back in the day on Spada Resv. back then too

5. Preston

Preston Active Member

Hmm, a little different than the story I was told by Roy Patrick. According to Roy, Karl Haufler dropped into the shop one day and purchased some newly yellow-dyed pheasant rump hackle. He used this hackle to tie up some self-bodied Carey Specials. Dyeing the pheasant hackle yellow results in a color somewhere between yellow and olive while retaining the metallic greenish sheen of the undyed feather. The body is formed from a rump hackle twisted into a "noodle" and wound up the shank. A counter-wrapped, copper wire rib reinforces the rather fragile body. Another rump hackle is then applied as a sparse (two to three turn) collar.

With the exception of the rump hackle color, you can see that the pattern is nothing more than a Carey Special. Karl tied some up and took them to Pass Lake where it seemed to be the only pattern that was taking fish that day. Beseiged by anglers wanting to beg, borrow or steal one of his flies, Karl established the barter rate that gave the fly its name. I've fished the Sixpack for many years and it has always been a good producer, either trolled or cast and retrieved. Since I'm primarily interested in fishing dries in the lakes now, I usually only use it when moving from place to place these days. The only picture I have handy is of one to which (as an experiment) I added a pair of eyes. So far it has not proven to be any more effective than the unadorned version. The pattern has always been assumed to represent a damselfly or dragonfly nymph.

6. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Yup, Karl was the tyer, didn't known the Patricks story though, I knew Karl though Western Flyfisher, and he would come in with these dyes and show us and the sixpack. He would take it outside in the light then bring it in and show us how UV it was. He was big in UV stuff , just like McNeese .Now ,maybe later on he developed this dye after the Patricks episode to try to imitate or expound on it Just not sure and it was too damn long ago .Thanks for the "exact " tying recipe.

7. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

As usual Preston you are correct, if I may digress a little into the originator of the Six Pack.

Karl Haufler was one of our early great conservationists and was heavily involved in the enhancement of several Canadian lakes. Karl was an innovative fly tyer and was always experimenting with dyeing techniques; he was also an avid collector of fly fishing paraphernalia and fly art and a big fan and acquaintance of Alexander Haig Brown.
    Karl was very meticulous about dyeing and kept notes on everything he dyed as well as the grading of his feathers, his obvious favorite was pheasant rump. At Karl’s passing his wife agreed to auction off his collection for a fund raiser.
    I was fortunate enough to purchase his collection of what he called spey hackle as well as other collectibles. In this collection was his dyed six pack pheasant rump with some very short notes inside describing the recipe for dying the sixpack the color by the way is what I would describe as a dirty yellow olive (more on the yellow side). Two items that stood out in his recipe where onion skin and urine which there was no clarification as to where it came from (anybody’s guess).
    I would have to say I learned a lot about choosing quality Pheasant Rump after pouring through Karls collection.

swellcat likes this.
  8. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Someone got the recipes now I know,,, I got some of his books, still have them

9. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Preston & DD,
    Thanks for the history on that wonderful fly and the great man behind it. A friend turned me on to the six-pack more than ten years ago and we have caught countless fish together with the fly. Anyone who fishes lakes on a regular basis should them in their fly box. There have been many days when the six-pack was the go-to fly and made the outing more successful.
    Thank you Karl!

10. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Double-D

Would you be willing to post or PM the dirty yellow olive dying recipe? It would be a good way to pass this knowledge on. I am very interested in dying without using pre-packaged dyes. The colors tend to be more, well... natural.
    This spring I have been experimenting with dying using lichen from our common alder trees. The color range is from light yellow to yellowish brown, depending on soak time and which of the four common lichen you use. The lichen derived colors would generaly be considered 'dirty'.

Thanks

TC

11. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

I would be happy to share that with you Tim, except Carl took the main ingreedints with him. The short notes only refer to onion skin and urine and a few other scribbles but really nothing that could get you on a path to the actual dye recipe. I will look at it again and PM you as to what the note actually says. I know of several people that were much closer to Carl that may have a clue to his dying technique, I will inquire.

12. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Thanks for your efforts D-D. It may be as simple as Onion and urine.
    Before people had refined ammonia and acids, urine was a common dyeing ingredient for wool. It both fixed the dye as well as added its own color.
    Depending on the diet of the animal, urine itself can be used as a coloring agent often producing pink or yellow. As in the Tups Indespensible which uses the urine stained wool from around a rams 'indespensibles'. A ram is refered to as a tup in some parts of the UK.

13. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

if you put a small red bead on the fly it becomes better. try it . mike w