What is fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dfl, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Are you sure you are really chironomid fishing?
    The people I know that fish chironomids well manage their line, change up their presentations and manipulate their flies.

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Well, I just don't know. Never having had the opportunity to stand on the grassy banks of the Itchen, dressed in my tweeds and holding my
    bamboo rod with a silk line and a well dressed fly attached, I guess I have never truly been FLY FISHING.

As a gear fisherman, i do enjoy fishing my OLIVE BUGGER, dragged thru the lilly pads looking for what ever might lurk there.

I guess I just don't have any class.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

defining fly fishing is like defining obscenity....

you know it when you see it ;)

Salmo_g, dfl and Kcahill like this.
  4. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Fly fishing = fishing. The goal is to catch fish.

There is no relevance to a specific definition. It's not a competition. It doesn't matter if anybody considers one method or another to be "fly fishing."

If you don't feel proud of catching fish by hanging a chironomid under an indicator then you shouldn't fish that way.

It's hard enough to get into this sport as it is without people trying to put down one method over another. Why try to be divisive about it?

5. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

thats the best answer I have read yet!!!

dfl likes this.
  6. Chris Bellows

7. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Its funny because when I was a kid. the first time I seen a fly used was when this old guy had it tied to a spinning rod about 2ft behind a clear bubble. I took that style home with me and when I showed my grandfather's neighbor this style he chuckled and showed me his style of fly fishing. Which took a hole lot more skill then the other guys. I think Rob put it best, thats not saying that other people are not fly fishing, they are just not fly fishing in a matter that I look at as fly fishing. I think you need to learn things that a bait or spin casting angler doesn't know. But one thing everyone loves about fly fishing is you can get as in depth as you want and make it as complex as you like. So to those of you who troll using a fly rod, or hang a fly from a spinning reel. Thats your choice and feel free to call your self a fly fishermen. I am not going to judge anyone as I am new to being back into the sport. But to me fly fishing is a art and something of beauty when done right and thats when your fly is carried to a rising fish and presented to it in a manner that makes it feel like its something to feed on, by your line and not the weight of the object that you tossed his way. just my .02$

dfl likes this.
  8. Chris Bellows

sorry for the multiple replies, my brain isn't totally together this morning.

as far as being "divisive", i don't think that is the goal... but should the term "fly-fishing" be so inclusive to include almost everything? do we create a level playing field where trolling a fly behind the boat with fly gear is called the same thing as casting and retrieving a fly for the same species?

9. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

When I'm hating on everyone else, I know that only then, I'm truly flyfishing

Jonathan Tachell likes this.
  10. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Fly fishing is a label used by people to let others know how to classify their style of fishing.

The Dude likes this.
  11. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

We should all be so fortunate as to be born into the sport. Like the young lad I once read about who's Grandfather presented him a fishing license on the day of his birth. Or Press Powell, who could not recall ever not being able to cast a fly rod. For those of us less fortunate, it is often a convoluted path from Opie style with a cane pole, bobber & worm to whatever level we take it. As long as we have enjoyed the ride, who should care?

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I use fly fishing for fun. I mean, how much fun can one have throwing flies around to catch and release all you catch. I don't eat fish, well sometimes if there are fish and chips to be bought. But mostly I don't like to eat fish. It's just a lot of fun catching them and putting them back to grow bigger.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  13. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I never used to eat fish either. At least no more than I had to. Eating fish for me had always been deep fried or Mrs Paul's fish sticks. Experiencing various eclectic recipes, done properly, changed all that. I still practice C&R, but I'm not above a good Salmon fillet, or Spicy Thai Catfish. :D

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

So as long as I speycast my double bead thingabobber I'm set? But, no water loading right? ;)

15. FLYFLICKER

FLYFLICKER Chris

Intransitive verb

dfl likes this.
  16. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

Whatever it is, it is my excuse to get outside and be near water

17. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

Whatever it is, it is my excuse to get outside and be near water

18. smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic Kind of a B-boy.

The dictionary defines it very simply, an objective view as to what it is we actually do out on the water.

"The sport of fishing using a rod and an artificial fly as bait."

Trying to describe it in any other way is best left to the individual, as there are too many variables to determine a total encompassing definition.

19. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I'd refer you to the writings of Theodore Gordon,Izaak Walton, Dame Juliana Berners, and a host of those Greats who have led the way for the acolytes of today. Dust off thy tweeds & tie, Grease thy line, and bend on the noble Partridge & Green to thy silk thusly dressed, with veneration of Those Who Have Gone Before. (I'm getting ready to hurl, here:eek:). THAT is fishing with the fly....Barf!