What is it that puts flyfishermen off about using a kayak for a fishing platform?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Krusty, Oct 21, 2011.

1. LCnSac Active Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    The detail is fine. Small screen, small pixels. All you need, honestly. You should check and see if the transducer can take salt.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,329 / 9
    Bradley, great meeting you today. I hope that 12'er suits your needs. Let me know when it is time to paddle, I'll be interested in meeting up again.
  3. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Thanks dude. Yes, lets do that! Thanks for making this work....your timing
    couldn't have been better!
  4. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +405 / 0
    I've been following this thread for a while now because I've been considering an inflatable kayak. I don't plan on using it as a fishing platform as much as I'd use it for transport down rivers where I'd get out and wade, so I find this comment interesting. The benefit of a dry suit vs waders is obvious when you think about falling off/out or capsizing. Is there a downfall to wading in a drysuit?

I've been considering something like the IK linked below. I don't have any place to store a boat/toon and something like this would easily fit in my small car. It also seems that it wouldn't be unreasonable to portage by myself either.
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=16363
  5. ptychocheilus New Member

Tennessee
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Why wear a full drysuit when you can pull a drytop over your waders when you're on the water, and remove it when you're wading or you need to thermoregulate? Much cheaper, too.

IKs are great, but suffer from the same problem as most kayaks -- they're too squirrely to stand and fish.
  6. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Mostly I just don't know what my options are. I'm inexperienced in the watercraft area so this thread has caused me to have questions I've not previously thought about. I always just assumed I'd wear my normal wading stuff and be good to go. A drytop sounds like a better way to go.
    I'm really just looking at a way to cover more water and allow myself access to fishy water where the bank access is not possible because of private property or impassable terrain.
  7. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Underachiever:
    We are sort of in the same boat, as it were. I took my new kayak out for a test spin today on very calm water, got fairly wet, but also get where no man has gone before....at least not on foot. Even getting in and out of the yak is a wet proposition, not to mention paddle dripping, and rain. I am thinking that next time out will be in waders....if for no other reason that I can step out of the yak if I want to or need to, stay relatively dry, and not worry too much about being cold or wet for the next few hours. I presume if they are cinched tight and I have a nice dry top over them, even if I were to capsize (which will happen sooner or later....) I should be able to get up and out of the water enough to keep them from filling up with water. Anyway, stay tuned. Thats my thinking today. Tomorrow's experiment is yet to be reported on. :)
  8. Sparrowhawk New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    This was a fun thread to find. I am a long time whitewater kayaker but new to fly fishing. Like others here I have lots of watercraft but mine all use a paddle. I'm getting geared up for fishing and don't want another boat.

I can see the difficulties of managing both a rod and paddle but think I might have an idea to offer. Kayak water polo used to be popular. It was just like the normal game but done from a whitewater boat without paddles, just hands. Some of us used swimmer's webbed gloves for an advantage. The webbed gloves had a neoprene palm and nylon back and were fingerless (the fingertips are bare). They provide more propulsion than you might expect and even make an acceptable backup paddle. You could easily use something like that to position a kayak once you got to your destination and work a fly rod, anchor, or whatever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  9. ptychocheilus New Member

Tennessee
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Hand paddles work great as a backup (and you should always have a backup paddle of some sort along!), but they'd suck for trying to actually fish while wearing them. It's not that hard to pick up the paddle if you need to make a drift correction while you're fishing.
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I have a hand paddle that is waiting for a paint job, that's been hanging from a wire in my shop since mid-summer. Looks kind of like a ping-pong paddle. It will be leashed on a bungee, and ready to grab for a few quick corrective strokes, if I ever get around to finishing it.
    I've just been grabbing my 240 cm paddle and doing the one-armed thing, but that puts a lot of leverage on the ol' joints. Hand paddles are definitely useful.
  11. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Mine's a sit-in, so I have the space. I have spare 2 pc paddles, so I bring half of one for positioning/trolling work. I leave my long paddle leashed and clipped to the side of the cockpit once I'm onsite and until I want to really move.
  12. LCnSac Active Member

Sacramento, CA
    For the same money you can get a frameless inflatable pontoon that easily fits into a duffle that will fit in any trunk. Would that not satisfy your needs?

They are much drier than a SOT kayak. Even during the winter you only need to wear whippers or a cheap pair of wading pants.
  13. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,165 / 0
    If you really are going to use the boat mainly in a river, then I would recommend a watercraft that has no floor in the front so you can: 1. make quick stops to fish by sliding off the seat and fishing with the boat still around you and then hop back on when done. 2. use fins to control the boat when possible, leaving both hands free to cast and fish as you float downstream (use common sence on rivers that are safe for this).

A number of watercraft allow you to do this and will also pack into a small bag suitable for the closet and trunk of you car. Check out: WaterMaster Kodiak and Grizzly Rafts, WaterStrider rafts, Scadden Assaults (and a few U models) and last but not least, the Outcast Commander, a watercraft that can either be paddle like a kayak or rowed using the built-in oars. (it is awesome by the way!) Any of these boats will also allow you to fish lakes and use fins, a real plus on small and medium-sized lakes. As someone who has lots of watercraft, I would only recommend going with a kayak if you expect to be on big bodies of water and will be paddling large distances but that is personal preference.

As for wading in a drysuit, there is no reason why you couldn't and I have done it. Things to keep in mind: 1. They can be alot more expensive than waders 2. The material is not meant to be exposed to the kind of abuse/conditions that waders are and is therefore not as durable as the top end waders 3. the feet are fabric, not neoprene so you will need to wear neo socks for warmth and to protect the fabric feet 4. be sure to get one with a fabric flap over the zipper as it will chew up your fly line in a hurry. 5. I'd recommend that you spring for one with a relief zipper so you don't have to peel it off when nature calls. 6. check out the semi-dry 'paddling suits'; they have a neoprene neck that is more comfortable than latex and should be dry enough for fishing (vs whitewater) use. Finally, the good part about a drysuit is if there is a good hole across the river, you can just swin to it!
  14. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Wow, thanks for the advice LCnSac/Freestone. I've also considered a frameless pontoon as well. I have 0 experience with these kinds of things and I'm still at the point where I "don't know what I don't know". The outcast commander is intriguing, as is the NRS gigbob which looks to be discontinued and on sale.
  15. LCnSac Active Member

Sacramento, CA
    I would try to look at those mentioned, and not having a full floor is critical for the reason stated. I have a 9' Scadden Renegade and routinely stop in the river, stand up, cast a few times, and move on. I don't even take off my fins if I'm not getting out of the toon. When I say "look" I mean mostly online because with the exception of the Outcast and ODC you'll have a hard time finding any new at dealers. I bought mine based on dozens of online posts and I found them to be highly accurate.

Watch the weight. That's one big advantage of the frameless. ODC also has one now for $600. http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16318 Mine weighs the same, 28 lbs., and that's very manageable for portage, loaded with gear. Much more would not be for me.

Scadden, NRS, Outcast, Watermaster/Strider are all top quality for stillwater and moving water through Class III. Google each--there are plenty of discussions on here and North American Fly Fishing. You will usually find that those of us that own the craft reviewed think ours is the best so take that into consideration. I think you'll find those that have the Watermaster find them much slower than some because of the lack of rocker, but you'll find no complaints about quality.

Based on what you've said, I think this is the design on which you should focus. It sounds perfect for your needs. Works perfectly for mine, I will say that.

Also, I'd plan on buying new. This is a thin market and you won't see many for resale, but they are out there on occasion. The Scadden resale is stupidly high so I'd definitely buy that new--others except ODC are probably similar.

If you want to compromise pricing and trade for more weight and a little more bulk, you can look at an 8' Outcast Fishcat for $600 and you can find those used too, along with Bucks Bags pontoons. Both are excellent, but performance on both flatwater and moving water won't be as good as a 'toon with a U-shape. http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=26
  16. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    I am busy setting up my newish yak the way I want; but FYI, for those that may be thinking of getting set up for yak fishing, the current issue of Canoe&Kayak Magazine has a freaking slew of boats with specs and prices and comparisons. Worth looking at if you're shopping.
    Me? Bought sonar today, installing tomorrow. Setting up one rod for floating line, one for intermediate. Between casting, paddling, navigating, photographing, and sonar sensing, I'm sure it'll be a busy day next time out. Cheers.
    Ed Call likes this.
  17. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Sorry I didn't get back to you about your question....haven't been following the thread lately. See you've now got a good boat and are well on your way!

I fish from an Emotion Mojo Angler...a 12' 5" SOT. I used to fish from a 10' SIK, and found it far more difficult to fish from...hard to get at gear, trickier to get in and out of, and tippy when I was reaching for stuff.

For cold weather (and I've been out on local lakes in eastern Washington in December) I wear 5 mm neoprene chest waders, and suitable poly tops under a dry top. A waist belt or two snugly cinched down on your chest waders is an ABSOLUTE necessity....no, you're not going to succumb to the old myth of sinking, but you have to keep most of that cold water out of the waders. A good PFD is also, of course, a must.

I don't have a fish finder aboard, though I've toyed with the idea...it just seems I carry enough crap in the boat as it is. Maybe someday.

I also carry a small Cabelas telescoping emergency paddle...kept by my right leg in the cockpit....I use it as a hand paddle for positioning the boat when I'm on a drift. Sometimes I'll anchor....one of those little spring loaded cam cleats (from West Marine) works well for easily fixing or releasing an anchor line. In a curent you'll want some sort of anchor trolley so you can properly orient the kayak relative to current.

I attach most of my gear to the boat (paddle leashes, etc) but I can't stand casting with a leash....so when I sit the rod down, it always goes in the Scotty rod holder mounted on the console in front of me.

Get a decent kayaker's sheaf knife to wear on your PFD. A kayaker's knife generally has a square blunt point, and serrated edge, so you can cut yourself loose of all the crap that you could be tangled up with if you capsize without stabbing yourself....kayak fishermen have drowned due to entanglement.

Have a great time fishing from your new yak...hope you enjoy it as much as I do...being able to get into places other boats can't....fast, maneuverable, and stealthy!
  18. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Great suggestions; all.Thanks.
    Here is where I'm at....
    Actually did buy a nice little sharp pointed dive type knife, which is now clipped to
    my PFD. Check.
    Dusted off an older GPS I had laying around, now affixed to the center console.
    I like seeing rate of speed, distance traveled, that sort of thing.....so it's more fun than practical I guess.
    I am kind a gear addict, but I hate clutter too......so if I can't get it rigged efficiently and cleanly, I'm not putting it on. I've been playing with various methods of hauling all the crap around and still keep it neat and accessible, most of which is now finished.
    Took me a while to get my 'crate' set up, but I think I'm about ready for expedition number three. Oh, and I HAD to pick up a jolly roger flag for the back. Couldn't resist.
    Dusted off an old marine VHF radio I had purchased to listen to boat traffic. I'm paddling in salt water right now, so I figured it couldn't hurt.
    The little boat I bought has an anchor trolly; check!
    I was thinking of getting one of those stake out poles.....I hope to spend a lot of time in estuaries, and that looks like a good way to anchor in shallow water. Still thinking about that one.
    Going to hold off on the extra paddle for now.....I hope I don't regret it. I've got my paddle leashed, and it floats....I hope I am assessing the risk of serious inconvenience (or worse) correctly.
    I'm not happy with my mounting options for the fish finder. Workspace is at such a premium on this little yak that I mounted it on the top behind the front hatch where I see lots of photos of people mounting them but.......it seems quite vulnerable to me up there. Still thinking about that one too.
    I haven't found anything that sticks to this kayak. I bought super duper 3M adhesive mounting tape, velcro, blah blah blah, and nothing sticks. Except pure silicone.
    There must be something!
    I hope to have it in the water tomorrow. I'll post a pic. :)
  19. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Krusty......

One more thing. (for now)

From the looks of the statistics, this thread has been of a lot of interest to a lot of people.....How fun would it be to have a kayak-angler get together? Fish a little, have a tailgate party, check out the rigging setups on everyone else's boats?
    Party on the beach!
  20. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    About the only way to mount anything on a poly boat is to drill holes for threaded stainless bolts and nylock nuts (if you can access the inside) or drill a small pilot hole and thread a stainless screw into the deck or cockpit hull....either way use silicone for a sure seal.