What is the best way to attach a fly to the back board of a picture frame?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Loopy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Loopy

Loopy Member

I have some flies that I wish to frame, hasten to add not my creations! Am wondering how best to fix them to the back board of the picture frame. Now I realise glue will be involved somwhere. The fly sizes are 8's (Sea Trout) and 12's (Trout) if it makes any difference. The box frame I have just purchased.

Does anyone have experience of this and can pass on some knowledge.

Cheers in advance.

:beer1:

2. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

There are a number of common methods of mounting flies in frames. Depending on whether you want the flies damaged or not. Two methods of mounting flies without damage is to use fine wire looped through small holes in the backing board and around the hook wire. Another is to glude small pieces of foam or cork to the backing and sticking the fly hook point into these. You can also mount plastic rod pegs (usually clear or white if the backing is white) prependicular to the backing and stick the points of the hooks into the plastic rod pegs or stick them in and glue them. You can also put a spot of fabric glue (the glue used to apply applicaques to shirts and the like, on brand being SOBO) and then press the fly body into this drop of glue and hold it for a few seconds. You can also use this same glue to glue the fly bodies directly to the backing. I have trout, sea trout, and salmon flies glued on plastic pegs this way that have been hanging on the wall for several decades with no failure of the glue. This same glue will mount the pegs to the backing or you can drill holes through the backing and insert the pegs with or without glue. Have fun

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

While the plastic rod mount is probably the best- and most professional-looking method, you can also find clear, self-stick, soft plastic "bumpers" about 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch thick (I found some at Bartell's). Stick the base of the bumper to the backing and stick the point of the hook into the side of the bumper.

4. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

An Atlantic Salmon Fly tier I know uses bugle beads to mount his flies. The beads hold the fly up off the matt backing. He uses two beads for salmon/steelhead flies and one for smaller trout flies. He pokes a hole in the backing with his bodkin needle and uses fine diameter mono to secure the fly. One end of the mono is taped to the back of the matt and the other end is run through the hole in the matt, through the bugle bead and around the shank of the fly and back through the hole in the matt,pulled tight and secured on the back side of the matt with tape. For larger flies the second bead is placed at the eye of the fly with the mono running through the eye and attached in the same manner.

5. Loopy

Loopy Member

Som terrific ideas there. Thanks for sharing them. I intend to try to or three of them to see how I get on with them before deciding on the best way for me.

Thanks again.

6. Hi Loopy,
    I place the flies on the mount board and make a pencil mark behind the eye and the bend of the hook, remove the flies, make a pinhead hole and pass a loop of fine nylon,white fly tying thread the hole and pull tight.
    The ends of the thread are taped to the rear of the frame nearest the oustide edge.
    See an example here http://www.devonflyfisher.com/equipment.htm
    (that was hard to type,friends just left and i have had too many beers and wine!)
    Cheers
    Richard

7. Loopy

Loopy Member

Cheers Richard

You put that together well despite the 'handicaps'!