what is the best way to test line a rod??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Mar 17, 2011.

1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I have a New redington 7 wt 2 handed rod. I got in the mail 4 lines to try?? all are scandi lines. 480,510,540 gr and a steelhead scandi 520 gr. So what would be the best way to test all the lines in the same tru life specs?? Thinking of using the same poly leader and fly and head down to the water and cast about 1/2 hr with each line. Sound about right??

2. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Try starting out with a smaller fly #2 or smaller and not real bulky. I'd think all those lines are too heavy for your 7wt, I don't know anything about that rod but I'd guess a better array of lines to try might have been 390, 420 & 450...but that's just a guess. I'm sure you did some research before you selected those lines.

If this is your light summer rod, load it that way...think effortless casting, light lines, long leaders and smaller size 6 to size 2 flys. Summer comes and goes quickly, enjoy it!

3. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Yes, that sounds about right.

The best way to test the lines is to test-cast the lines. With the tip and fly style you will be using the most on it.

4. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Most lines these days work well unless severly over tipped
    and/or too big of fly,severly botched leader/tip or compromised casting.
    I cast a line on the rod with four basic casts in a floating configuration if I can-Skagit with appropriate tip-and check to see how the weight and length feel and load the rod.
    You should know in the first few casts if line is happy on the rod.
    I also pull the line in a bit/ or not at all and do some overhead casts to eliminate any Spey cast variables as a double check.

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

If the stream where you'll be test-casting is closed, break off the bend of a larger example of an intended typical fly for that rod, to be safe and legal. Otherwise, you can use a tuft of bright yarn.

You should know how the lines feel with five minutes' of casting each. To be certain, you could cycle through them a second time, the same day or a subsequent one. And beg or borrow every possible line you can find.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Just my 2 cents from someone who has a 'few' 7 wt rods. If the rod is 'just' rated as a "7" 510 grains in a Scandi will max it out. If a multi-line (6-7-8 sort of thing) you could go to the higher line weight. If the 'stick' is a multi-rating of (say) 5-6-7 or a 6-7-8 stay at/below 500 grains. As an example I have a ACR (Gary Anderson) and a Burkie 7wt. A 520 grain RIO/AFS scandi head maxes out both rods. You can feel the rod load right down into the grip(s). But talk about a rocket launcher!

Just my thoughts.
    fae

7. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

The steelhead scandi says a 7wt which there website says is a 520gr

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Again, just personal experience here .. but a 520 Scandi head will 'max out' a 7wt rod.

fae

9. garyl

garyl Member

I have a Redington CPX 7113 switch and find that Simon's recs on the Rio website are pretty accurate depending on your casting stroke. I find that it works very nice with a 350 gr. scandi which is the "A" casting rec. I, too think that you are going to find that a 520 grain is pretty heavy for a Redington 7 wt. When overloaded, at least my experience with the CPX rods, they have a tendecy to collapse a bit. Just my 2 cents worth.

Gary