what is the difference in hackle grades?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by minevan, Jul 12, 2011.

1. minevan New Member

Cassadaga, NY
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i see there is platinum gold silver bronze and bugger packs. what are the differences? what do i need for tying woolly buggers?
  2. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Don't worry about that stuff right now. Go buy some cheap, strung, long-ish hackles. You don't need anything fancy for woolly buggers.

Hackles come in sizes too, by the way.
  3. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hackle grading really becomes an issue in smaller dry flies. For buggers it really depends on the size. Are you talking size 8 to 12, or bigger? I tie all size ranges and find that a even a bronze/grade 3 Bass/saltwater neck will give me everything I need, and they aren't expensive. If you only tie the little guys, you may find yourself with lots of left over feathers if you don't tie other feather based streamers. You can get by with only black feathers for Black, olive, and brown buggers, so don't feel the need to buy 3 kinds of hackles. For Buggers words like "chinese" shouldn't frighten you, but for dries run like hell!

This guy is kind of old school, and not up to accepted "internet standards" but he has some great stuff at great prices. http://www.eflytyer.com/