What is the Weirdest Fly Tying Material you Have Used?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Squamishpoacher, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Squamishpoacher

Squamishpoacher New Member

OK just found some old silk flowers in an artsy fake flower arrangement and they make the neatest shellbacks on nymphs once you trim them and coat them with some silicone so they don't fray. So that got me thinking about other odd materials. What is the strangest stuff you ever tied with? I've used carpet fibers, plastic coating from electrical wire for eyes, leather, all kinds of plastics. How about you?

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Old VHS tapes made killer Chironomids...LOL Fake Fingernails, Shoe laces.

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

I've used rubber gloves a lot. I use the goo from sticky mousetraps for touch dubbing. Dog and cat fuzz from the brush, that's been scotchgaurded for dry fly bodies back in the day. I don't think I've needed to tie a dry fly since moving to washington 12 years ago... Haven't burned through the ones I had from before...

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Old cassette tapes are even thinner and easier to wrap than VHS/Beta tape. Fake nails, fake eyelashes, snap swivels. Lint from the lint filter for dubbing.

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Rivets ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Disposible laboratory pippet tip as the body of a tube fly.

7. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

part of a dreadlock

8. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

Got a picture???

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Dustin, this is too easy:
    Get a real haircut and you will have a lifetime supply of dreadlock flies.
    Does tying flies made of your dreadlocks make you a bait and scent dragger?

10. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

not if i fish them on a spey rod.

11. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Not as novel as some of those above, but wife wanted decorative pins made from each of our dogs. Tied a husky and two labs using their own fur.

12. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

13. Methow Roamer

Methow Roamer Seeker of the Exotic and Aquatic

Been lookin' real hard at my cat lately...

14. apistomaster

apistomaster Member

I liked the rivet as weighted head material idea.
    I have tried bits of polyethylene bags as shell back covering on scuds.
    Most of the time I have found the natural materials like Hare's Ear fur sometimes dyed to a black and often mixed with the natural color, deer, elk hair, peacock herl and sparkle yarn to be more useful.
    I treasure the few male Starlings killed when they are in breeding color. Their throat and breast feathers make very good small soft hackle flies. On the whole, I believe natural materials produce the most realistic look and feel but sparkle yarn has some unique properties which imitate the living caddis pupal final shucks.

I just remembered the weirdest material I have used. It was some small bunches of yellow polyethylene rope tied parallel with the shank as the bodies and some Elk hair wings for a simple impressionistic grass hopper fly. I happened to manage to skip it up under over hanging brush on the Yakima below Cle Elum and I hooked and landed my largest Yakima River Rainbow which had been holding in the shallow water next to the bank under the brush.
    It was a 21 inch wild Rainbow. The largest Rainbows I have ever caught from the Yakima before and since have never been more than 18 inches.

15. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I wholeheartedly agree. I tie a little soft hackle with starling that has saved my butt from a skunk a few times. And on notoriously picky fish.....

My weirdest material would be a little piece of wood that looked like a caddis case. Couldn't get that thing to sink without a tin full of sinkers.... :rofl:

16. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

A wooden match and plastic from a blue ice bag, when I realized fish at Lenice were feeding on adult damsels and I didn't have anything that looked like that. The match-ass ice bag damsel adult did NOT work!

17. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

that beer drinking squirel would work as dubbing

18. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

View attachment 45196

Dont tell PETA but,,,

the white fur on My Beagles neck makes an excellent Hair wing