What is there for Oregon Fly fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by hikepat, Jul 31, 2008.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    What type of Salt Water fly fishing is available for a person with only an 18 foot boat, kayaks or from the beaches in Oregon? There is a chance I may get transferred to Portland Area and I already know there are plenty of rivers and streams to explore but I would miss my salt water fishing around Puget Sound and I wondering what might replace it.

2. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

John Shewey wrote Trout and Beyond and a second similar book that covers some Oregon flyfishing.
    Les Johnson

3. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    if you could fish for salmon, there a number of harbors with pretty tame ocean access. bouy 10 at the mouth of the columbia is a zoo but produces for folks in small boats. tillamook bay is another place, inside the bay, where you can look for salmon. of course you will have to wait until the seasons are reopened, whenever that might be.

the biggest issue you will face on the OR coast is dense fog. hopefully you have taken the time to equip your boat with appropriate navigation instrumentation 'cause once that fog slams the deck you will be clueless at to your position. it's much harder in OR to get out sometimes because of sea conditions so keep in mind the bars are often times far too lumpy for a boat your size.

if you don't know anyone who runs from the OR ports, you might do yourself a favor and charter out of the port you select. learning from folks who do this every day is a good way to cut the learning curve.

4. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Have radar for the boat but the GPS unit needs to be replaced. Have no real want to fish the open ocean unless long range forecast are all good and even then I would be very much on guard. I have heard of Bouy 10 fishery but really do not know any thing about it.
    If I did take the job offer in Portland area which I have to give them my answer by Monday, fishing and boating around Puget Sound is one of the things I would miss the most along with our friends in the boating community. Plus I would be to busy to get much fall or winter fishing in this year with training people to do my current job, learning my new job, being in charge of setting up a 12,000 square foot warehouse and office space and getting the house ready for market again, finding a new house to buy and packing and moving again. Shit I just went through the house part 2 years ago missing most of a fall and winter season of fishing and fly tying. I think at least some of my hair loss was due to all that stress without enough fishing relief. Add the work part and only my Sept Tuna trip would be all I could even think about doing for the rest of this year. We do know come next spring that we would be able to find plenty of lakes and rivers down that way without issue and in fact would be closer to Amie's and I favorite mountain areas of Adams and Helen's but after I have fishing the Puget Sound area since 1974 it would be a hard thing to give up. Been just waiting for this years ocean fish to come in and would hate to think last year was my last for it. In fact up till last Tuesday when my company sprang this offer on me we planed to go out hunting for them this weekend.
    Now having never spent much time in the area Amie and I are going to South Portland area this weekend to look around to help make our decision on the companies dime. I still really do not know which way we will go. The money would be better plus I would be in charge of all aspects of the running of the company from payroll to inventory to customer relations and sales and long term forecast for its growth look pretty good and my income could even double in the next few years, but we would be giving up a house we just bought and love and rough estimates by me show we would loss about $20,000-$30,000 in equity to pay commissions on its sale and could only sell the house close to what we paid for it. Course I have always hated my commute to Seattle from Kent every day and I hear the traffic there is much less stress full. For me money is not every thing. I already make a middle class income and if I stay where I am it will slowly grow each year. I just am likley to never go any further where I am at currently since they have all these young guns coming up in the company and this may be my last chance for such a position. Not really sure what our decision will be but am still trying to think through all the angles and we are not being given much time to do it.
    Thank god we had a good fishing trip to Leech lake last Saturday after noon with alot of exploring and site seeing in the Packwood area Saturday night and Sunday to help keep me calm. Even took a short cut in the map Amie saw putting a few new scratches into the truck. The memories of the Brookies and one 18" trip is all thats keeping sane right now. Not sure if I could handle losing fishing time again for a fall, winter and most likely even the first part of spring fishing. But we still are heading down this weekend to look things over.

5. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    tillamook is about 1hr from the center of portland. 5 rivers empty into that bay, all of which have salmon and steelhead. the bay itself is pretty protected unless there is a real blow going. motoring up to any of these river mouths should put you within reach of anadramous fish you can try with a fly. there is a limited SRC population in two of these rivers. the anadramous fish really stack up at these river mouths so it can be quite productive if you put the time into the fishery.

my home port used to be depot bay but it's advisable to get some help learning how to go out and come back in through 'the hole'. the near shore humps used to have great populations of rock fish but they have been pretty much fished out over time.

there are also salmon in downtown portland right there on the willamette r. as well as the sloughs that split savies island. all of these locations have great launching facilities and if the fish show up, you could have a decent chance with a fly.

but, this is not puget sound fishing so you are in for a change in approach for sure. OTOH, portland is a great city with much going for it including a functioning transit system that can get you out of your vehicle for the majority of time.

6. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

I just did the reverse. I can say without exception Steelheading is better in OR. I didn't FF the salt and don't know many who do simply because its a basically the ocean not the protection of the sound. Tillimook is closer to 1 1/2, PDX is a great city and everything is significantly tighter than Seattle. You won't have all the cultural events due to the size of the market.

While as gt says there are areas where the fish stack, I would guess they are not yet "discovered as fly destinations".

Your new company should pick up all the costs in your relocation package.

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Well to close this thread. Amie and I after looking at our options and taking the free trip to Oregon have decided to stay put. Picking up our life and moving right now is just way to much to deal with at this point of our life and I thank everyone for their input. We just right now are not ready for the stress of moving and selling and buying a place again after less then two years from buying our current home. The money just is not worth it to us. Plus selling our home it took two years to find just the one we wanted also played into our decision
    We did find our on our trip that there is in fact fishing in the bays for Salmon, Greenling, some Black Bass plus Crab and at least one bay area having Steel head as they head toward the local river though how good fishing is we really do not know only talking to locals and not trying it for our self. We did hear the normal stories of how much the fishing is not what it used to be and heard of a fellow the day before from his Kayak taking a 18 LBS the day before as he was once again heading out on Sunday.
    We also found that pleasure boating on the Colombia is quite popular though its mostly anchoring at your destination and there are not the common types of marinas and docking locations that we have in Puget Sound or at least not any we found out about. We also were warned by locals that logs etc slowly washing down the river will make a lot of noise and sometime damage your boat when anchored in the river. How common this is was hard to tell.
    We checked out many fine looking streams wishing we had time, a licence and our rods to cast a line but we had a very tight schedule. We spend mornings and afternoons checking out housing market and possible warehouse locations and evenings talking to local fishermen and boaters and checking out possible out door activity areas. We found areas to train hunting dogs, to trap shoot, to drop crab pots which made for one very long weekend.
    Once again thank you for the input. It helped us greatly to look the area over to help make our decision.

8. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    You can try and leave Washington but you just never can :thumb: