WHat is this?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by McNasty, Jun 14, 2014.

1. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

caught this on the yak today. not a squaw or a sucker, never seen one before.

9b60865da290_7ffb2715-2200-43be-885f-14d6848e88b2.jpeg

2. Looks like a mountain whitefish. They get no love but I think they're great.

Alexander likes this.
  3. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Chiselmouth?

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

5. GAT

GAT Active Member

Yup... looks like a chub-er-roo to me.

6. Yeah, I suppose I don't see an adipose on that fish so it can't be a whitey.

7. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

cool, never caught a chub. ive been fishin this stretch for a long time and never caught one of any size before.

8. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

atlantic salmon...duh

9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'll 3rd the Peamouth.

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

Normally, I don't catch chub that large either. It may not be a good sign. You don't want chub taking over the river. I know they can become a problem in lakes. Hopefully that isn't the case for rivers.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Never seen one before, and I also might have had one on yesterday. It jumped and shook the fly about 3-4 feet from the boat, but it really didn't look like a trout.

12. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Certain river have native species of chubs and they are sometimes on the endangered species list.... ;)

(I think of one special river that has a brightly colored chub... catch one every now and then)

13. GAT

GAT Active Member

14. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

never seen one that big, we used to catch them on an open swivel in irrigation ditches as kids....Did you consider having it mounted????

15. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

State record is 1.12lbs. Definitely a Peamouth.

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Dang! I've caught some big fat ones over a foot long out here in the tidal creeks. A big searun cutthroat pattern will prevent most of the small ones from sucking in your fly. A 3 or 4 wt soft or med action rod and a #14 hot-organge soft hackle can provide loads of fun. They are usually concentrated in one stretch of the tidal creek, below the head of tidewater. They are pesky little guys, but if few cutthroat are around, they can provide a bit of action.
    They'll even take dries! Just find a school that is surface feeding.

17. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Weigh em up and take your place as the chubmaster!