NFR What Is (was) Your Job?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 15, 2012.

1. t_law

t_law Active Member

Played professional soccer for 6 years after graduating from college and retired at the ripe old age of 29. Wife (girlfriend at the time) was tired of following me around. Decided I was going to be a Firefighter but they didn't like all the skeletons I had in my closet (I only let out a few but that was enough). Now I do IT work in the Healthcare industry.

2. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Media:
    T-Law, which team did you play for, if I may ask?

Regards,
    Kenneth

3. airedale

airedale Member

lumber broker........

4. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    Chief, what's the name of your company? I've been in Conference Sales at the Hyatt Regency Bellevue for the last 5 years and been in hospitality with Hyatt since I graduated from WSU in 2003. Prior to that, I held several roles in customer service and even used to pick up range balls at a local country club in between washing golf clubs and golf carts.

5. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    Registered Vascular Technologist. I do ultrasound on veins and arteries to find blood clots and arterial blockages and stuff. Graduated Oregon Tech in 2011

6. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    Ha! That's awesome, I worked at Washington divers for around 7 years. So needless to say I got to know Tom really well! He took me out on the power boat,diving all the time, I just had to haul his double tanks down the dock for him. We also led a bunch of dive trips up to B.C together, what a great guy! All of diving pics on my mantle were taken by Tom also.

Tell Tom hi for me would ya?

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I'll do that Jasper!

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Full or part-time beach bum all my adult life, except for a brief 6-year stint working for a railroad as a "General Clerk," mainly in trailer/container operations, but early on as a "Telegrapher," and often assigned to the "Extra Board" due to my low seniority. Due to a merger and the resulting massive job cuts, the RR that I worked for offered an entire year's pay as "severance" to any employee who would take it. Union deal. Being sick and tired of rotating shift work, I gladly accepted the offer and then moved here to the Beach. that was in May of '85. I had only planned to live the Life of Riley here for about 6 months, but now it looks like I never left.
    Before I took that RR job, I had worked about 6 weeks for a marine supply store in Seattle that catered to pleasure boaters, and I just couldn't take the low pay and extreme boredom any longer. So I jumped when a friend who worked at the RR told me they were hiring.

Before that, I worked many part-time and full-time jobs: cannery worker, elevator constructor's helper, general construction, office bldg maintenance painter, delivery driver and warehouseman, as well as some restaurant work (which I never enjoyed), and attended college full and part-time. I still managed to be a beach bum during that time anyway, because I was living on Oahu, and it was the late 60's and all of the 70's. I worked for a car rental at the Honolulu airport for the last 5 years iI lived there, got on the night shift, and surfed and attended classes during the day.

After I retire from landscape maintenance, etc. this Sept, I will be able to take my beach bumming to the next level. Can hardly wait!

Stonefish and Mark Kraniger like this.
  9. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

Alright, I'll chime in with my resume:

During high school - Various jobs
    After high school - Installed commercial/residential in-ground sprinkler systems
    Since 1992 - Tech designer at Boeing, now a tech design manager. It's been a long and winding road but it pays the bills.

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Wow, must be "selective forgetting," but I worked for some cranberry farmers for a few years here at the beach, and we installed a lot of irrigation! I worked all phases of cranberry farming. Worked at Ocean Spray as a material handler and forklift driver one summer/fall, which became an incarceration of 12-hour days, 7 days per week during harvest. I could have gotten on there full time, but I quit to go back to work in the bogs, installing irrigation and new track on some newly developed bog. I never liked being forced to work 12 hour days or 7 days per week. I prefer a 4 day work week with 5 hour days. Seems about right to me.

11. chief

chief Active Member

My company is Beatty Group Int'l. We are in Portland, but we have managed some conferences in the Bellevue/Seattle vicinity over the years. Maybe we'll cross paths one of these days.

12. robspe7370

robspe7370 Member

Biomedical Technician/Clinical Engineer:

Maintain,Repair,Design,Consult etc. for equipment used in the medical field.

And looking to relocate to PNW if you know somebody. ;)

13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    You know that one time.... when you're on a drift boat....and you're reading a seam...and you're having a great time, downing your second beer, the sun is beating down on your face.... shit, you missed a strike... then the guy next to you is like "heeeey, what do you do for a living?" and you have a sudden urge to leap over board and spend the rest of the day on the bank?

yeah... that's the ticket.

TD, Lugan and dryflylarry like this.
  14. Alan Green

Alan Green Spiritual and Legal Counsel to the Fishes

Lifeguard, swim coach, general laborer in a wood mill, window and door fabricator, Chinese food delivery man, bartender, held my fishing guide license for a couple years....and now for almost 10 years, attorney. Opened my own firm a little over 2 years ago so I could drop most of the B.S., spend some time working with at-risk kids instead of insurance companies, and fish more.

Irafly likes this.
  15. Islander

Islander Steve

Before retiring in 2004 I managed several fabrication facilities for the Feds. If I tell you anymore than that I'd have to kill you. :D

16. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Wow....I probably did this whole career thing backwards, while the rest of y'all were out getting a college education after HS, I figured since I hated school it was time to figure out life. I baked for a couple years ( in the bakery bussiness and in my mind), then turned my talents in the kitchen to cooking where I did any job that would get me a free seasons pass at many ski areas. I also cooked for mount rainier climbs just as a way to spend time up high. I lived in the woods for 20+ years trying on many hats all of which allowed me plenty of fishing time and not much cash-ola! I worked a summer guiding in AK at a fly fishing camp because I thought I liked the sound of being a guide - many days I out-fished the other guides and that pissed them off, I was never asked back...LOL. That was okay with me because although I like helping others get into fly fishing and catching fish, I'd rather catch them too. In 1990 I got married to my best friend and had to start living life in a different plane. I worked at Harborview Medical Center as a Diet Technician, then went to Xray school and loved it. I am currently doing that job, living in Seattle, just bought a home on a hill above the Snohomish River. I played for many years saw stuff that no one really sees in nature. Now I have a career that is thrilling me and allowing me to still continue to pursue my passion of fly fishing, fly tying and sharing that with others.
    JB

Steffan Brown likes this.
  17. Tarkin

Tarkin Member

Media:
    Composer.

bakerite likes this.
  18. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Landscape Architect / Park Planner. Retired at age 53...mostly.

19. fly dds

fly dds Spey Doc

I have 4 jobs (Only 1 of which I get a monetary reward from): Dentist, Proud Father, Loving husband, and obsessed Steelhead Swinger, but who really needs the money!!!!!!!

20. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

after playing with boats in the tub as a kid, I went into the navy, since then I have been working on pleasure boats of all kinds . took a 3 year break from it to have a bunch of surgeries and fish which I have only done once this year.