NFR What Is (was) Your Job?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Member

Younger days.....rancher, fishing guide, canoe builder, carpenter
    Middle yrs.........environmental consultant, house builder, community organizer,
    Last 30 yrs........State Farm insurance agent, with a little more time to hunt/fish these last 5 yrs.

2. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Started playing music as a kid. First funk band in high school, 5 years on the road in Seattle bands, The Sonics and New Deal Rhythm Band, playing trombone and arranging music. I have been teaching since 1981, 5th grade through college, in three states. Teaching 7- 12 in Baker, Oregon now. I still write music and play and have been able to live around a lot of good fishing.

Tarkin and Brian Miller like this.
  3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Boeing Engineer for 26 years and counting...

4. zinger

zinger Paul Singer

Media:
    Ad agency writer & creative director.

Tarkin likes this.
  5. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Fish biologist for about 30 years. Worked for feds, state, and university. The first 10 were spent in Maryland, Florida, Alaska, Texas, and New Jersey. The past 20 and counting in Washington.

6. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Member

Former financial director at large multinational corporation. Retired at 55. Summers now spent on Yellowstone River in MT, winters in PA.

7. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Out of high school had many jobs.Got on with a construction company that sent me to a 4yr carpentry school.I have been a carpenter/general contractor for 18 yrs.I curently own my own two companies.One general contracting and one of my many interests an Archery shop.

8. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

2yr natual resouce degree, worked for the Forest service 8 seasons mostly
    on a survey crew, bottom dropped out in mid eighties, worked as construction laborer, chainman for a few asorted survey companies, 21 years and counting with the WSDOT, alot of different hats surveying, and inspection. 9 months ago my wife and I began the most wonderful and rewarding job as foster parent to beautiful babies 9 month boy and 5 month girl, my kids are grown and my wifes are close what a ride. Always lived in NCW.
    Kelly Michelsen

Lugan likes this.
  9. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Hit the nail on the head.

10. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    Couple of years at the downtown Seattle Elephant Car Wash in the 60s while in school, a "spreader" in a garment factory for a short time before a couple of enlistments in the USAF in flightline weapons avionics, and shop NCO. 13 years as an IT field engineer for Texas Instruments, and a couple of years at a small IT support provider. The last 17 years I've held several IT support positions in the healthcare industry; help desk, desktop support, manager, budget analyst, project manager, and most recently IT asset and budget management. Through it all a part-time musician and vocalist in bar and private-corporate party bands making decent coin, then the last several years playing big band jazz guitar and acoustic, electric guitars and mandolin in amateur theatrical stage musical productions for fun.

bakerite likes this.
  11. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I started out as a construction go-pher during my summer between school jobs, doing everything from dirt work to demo and remodel. Got into the Insulators union as an apprentice after I thought I was done with school, which I promptly quit after spending my first six months in an oil refinery in Laurel, MT (fishing was sick though). Spent a summer in Alaska as a guide for BBL, which was a badass experience that I will likely never have again due to my distaste for some of the patrons of establishments such as that. Worked in a flyshop for a while after that, got back into the Insulators union for a few years, and now I am three months away from a student teaching intership for my Elementary Ed Degree. I still guide sometimes, however not very much, and only for smallies and carp these days.

12. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

JS, I spent a couple months working for Insulators as a Permit Helper during the Alaska pipeline while I was waiting to go out for the ironworkers. Worked with a couple hundred "Boomers" on a job with hours; saw lots of money made and lost, lotsof things I'll never forget. A certain traveler got in an argument in local watering hole over music; country or rock 'n roll. The local, being outnumbered and outsized, left only to come back 30 minutes later with a Remington model 1100. While everyone dove for cover, he calmly put 3 double-00 buck rounds into the juke, looked around and said " I guess that about settles it, eh?" Crazy times. A very few left with money saved, most spent it as fast as they made it. What I'll never forget is most of the men over 45 or so had asbestosis and many had partial or more lungs removed. Nasty stuff. I'll probably get Meso in the end.

13. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I've worked at car dealerships for over 11 years, owned my own business and am currently using my degree in Radiology. I am saving up $ for Chiropractic college as my next step and my ideal career choice. Portland is where I will go for that school, so at least I get to stay in the NW area.

14. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    At 17 I worked for my Dad in Construction for about 6 months. I love my Dad, figured if I was going to keep it that way, I should find a new job. I think he felt the same way; he recommended I joined the Air Force, I did and it was a great move for me; got my education, raised a family; still love my Dad.

I did a total of 21.5 years, (Geeky Computer Stuff) I got lucky with assignments I lived Alaska, Hawaii, and Germany, it did not suck!

I retired and did some contract work also in Germany working with the Air Force and then landed a civil service job at JBLM working with the Army folks now.

Brian Miller likes this.
  15. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    That is pretty sad, bro. I was lucky and was mugged up for almost everything that remotely looked like "stose", but I, too, have storys about pack-a-day smokers that were barely over 40 and were getting really bad chest x-rays. Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones that escapes that crap. Funny you say that about the "boomers" though, I have seem some serious escapades from some of the travelers I worked with. I've never met a group of people that could burn up a paycheck faster than those dudes.

16. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

About a quarter and half short of an accounting/business degree. Skippered charter boats at Westport in the early 70's to pay for my college. Commercial fisherman in Alaska for the past 33 years. Factory trawler captain working in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Island areas since 1987. Still hard at it.

17. Mikey_Mac

Mikey_Mac Member

Went to Oregon State for Early Childhood Development and Communications, and decided after graduating I didn't want to spend my life having parents bitching at me, so I went into the bicycle industry (raced semi professionally in college). Did that for 10 years, marrying a sugar mama in the meantime. Had a baby in february, and now I get to be a stay at home dad. Working on getting back into racing bikes again while I am at home. So far- this is way better than working full time...

Jeff Sawyer likes this.
  18. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I'm a marine biologist / community college professor. I did most of my Ph.D. research on the feeding biology of marine sculpins at the Friday Harbor Labs on San Juan Island - summer camp for science geeks. I then embarked on 20+ years as in itinerant biologist/professor at the University of Chicago, University of Maine (got to go to the Antarctic), East Carolina University, the University of Puget Sound, and the Evergreen State University. I'm now a tenured professor at Centralia College and working too many 11 hour days during the school year. But I have kept my summers largely to myself and I average 25+ full days of fishing each summer. I have hopes of rekindling some research projects with sculpins, perhaps freshwater and marine now.

Steve

19. fifafu

fifafu Guest

golf pro

20. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Retired U.S. Coast Guard (24yrs). Now a stay at home Dad for a beautiful 4 yrs old daughter. Volunteer. Single A Fly fisherman when the opportunities present themselves!