NFR What Is (was) Your Job?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Apr 15, 2012.

1. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,028 / 1
    Since we're listing part time jobs. Back when I was in the Navy I picked up an evening job running a pool hall or a billiard parlor for the wine drinking crowd.

One night I did see where a pool cue was outclassed by a wooden chair in a fight.
  2. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Before my actual dental career, I had my first summer job pumping gas at a Chevron station (back when there was no self serve stations), then a summer at Owen Corning fiberglass (by far my worst job ever-scratchy skin all the time!), 3 summers at a fruit cannery in San Jose CA (cushy job greasing the equipment), then while in dental school I had a painting company in the summer (advertised to Seattle dentists and did really well!) and in the winter I was a ski instructor on Wednesday nights and weekends at Snoqualmie Pass and Stevens Pass. Rick
  3. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Ha!
    I saw 3 sisters fist fight 1 guy. They could throw a punch and take one, as well.
  4. Rocket Red Vegetarian Cannibal

Elma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Principal/Project Manager/HR/Senior Engineer/Bill Collector/Head of Sales for a small engineering firm. I worked four years for the Department of Defense after college, and hated it 95% of the time. Sure the paychecks were steady, but you give up a lot of freedom for a steady paycheck.

Now, I have to work harder but I play harder too. I used to have to call in sick or plan a vacation to go fishing. Now I just go fishing when the fishing is good. Smart phone technology allows me to keep projects moving and clients happy when I am bobbing on the water somewhere.
    Paul Norton likes this.
  5. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +331 / 2
    In my yout I spent a few years commercial fishing mostly AK. In Gustavus Lodge (Glacier Bay) one night an old timer (small guy) was betting all men his wife could kick their ass. She was pretty...big.
    At the same time one of my mates was outside sparking a surprisingly cute daughter. Thank God he didn't get caught.
  6. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    I have work 9 job's prior to the two I have how. I work for Pacific Plumbing Supply full time and Home Depot in lumber and lot part time right now. Not much time for fishing.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    Well I didn't spend all my time at Boeing. I put in three years in the Army as a Cook, baker, and Bottle washer. I did a few years pumping Septic tanks. Now this is a dirty job. A few years on Unemployment. Back in my days it wasn't much, 42 bucks a week. That didn't hardly by any beer. And just about the biggest pain in the ass for the rest of my time here on earth.

But I believe it was the years at Boeing that were the cleanest.
  8. scottmel Member

boise, idaho
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    My life has been spent as a son, brother, husband (2x), father (3 boys). I've been a Supply Chain Engineer for almost as long as I can remember - over 20 years and counting.
  9. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    army (4 yrs, forward observer), then college/bartender (5 yrs), then construction management (12 yrs & counting)
  10. TonyZ Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  11. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Grew up bucking hay, milking cows, working in an auto garage, roofing, painting houses, cheese maker, nurse aid in a nursing home, minnow and night crawler farms, Waiter, maitre D, Sommelier, bar tender, assistant to Coroner autopsies, Military ( ranger airborne, Russian interrogator, Army Intell, SALT II inspector) , Processing refugees for UNHCR and now 20 years working for the G.
    Skysoldier and freestoneangler like this.
  12. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +787 / 1
    I'm calling the game...Ribka wins!
  13. ribka Active Member

E WA
    There are many on here with much more impressive resumes than mine.

just took some time for me to grow up. Fortunate that in the US we have ( or used to have) the luxury to change careers if one had the desire.
  14. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +193 / 0
    Cool Ribka, bucking hay was my summer job growing up, I also had a paper route, worked in a gas station and a little retail before joining the Army when I hit 18 years old.
    ribka likes this.
  15. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Finance Manager for a major dealership.
  16. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    School teacher
  17. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    How many of you older types have set pins in a Bowling alley. My job for a while in the Bremerton Navy Yard, at the enlisted men club.
  18. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Jim
    My father used to tell me stories of setting up pins in the bowling alleys in Chicago in the 1930's. said it was hard work but a lot of fun.
  19. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Swimming instructor-1973, bus boy, Shell answer man, administrative assistant, flower delivery boy, high school teacher, agriculture inspector, investment advisor, real estate agent, public high school principal-present.. For the last 28 years I have been an educator with a variety of side jobs to earn some extra cash. After 28 yrs I still have 15 more to go to get my six yr old through school:). If I live that long?
  20. John Dougher Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0