What is your 3wt setup?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Just wondering what your 3wt setup is like? Personally I'm sporting a Scott A2 with a Redington CD 3/4, one spool with a floater and another with a clear camo intermediate. Not the lightest setup with that reel, but it seems to work for me.

How about yours? I'm interested in some of the ultralight and large arbor reels for weights 3 and under, but so many seem way out of reasonable price reach.

I hope to be fishing mine tomorrow, I hope you are not all stuck at work.

2. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Mine's kind of simple. TFO PRO Signature Series 8'6" 3WT...run with an SLV Okuma 2/3, RIO WFF3. It's a great little 3 weight and I tend to use it more than my 6 but not more than my 5.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Mine is a TFO 7'9" Finesse rod with a Martin reel. Cheap reel but with a three weight it only hols the line..

I'd go fishing but my local rivers are running two shades of brown. One is chocolate and one is dark brown. And no I don't fish lakes.

4. wolverine

wolverine Member

Sage ZXL 8'-6" with an Orvis Battenkill 2 large arbor and a spare spool. SA Sharkskin GPX floater and SA Stillwater 3S. Kids bought this combo for me when I retired.

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Orvis T3 or LCParks bamboo rods with a very sweet Dormisch Absi or Albright GPX reel. Lines vary.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Sage SP 389-5 SP, Hardy Princess with a floater. Sound a lot like my favorite set of all time per your other query? It is, just for 3wt instead of 4wt.

K

7. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

Media:
    Sage SLT 389-4, with a Ross Cimarron 1 & Rio Camo WF line. Love it.

8. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I have a Elkhorn 9' 3weight that I will be selling[Love it but to many rods], a JP.Ross 6'6" 3weight and also a blank that my Bro bought off e-bay and build, that is a 10' 3/4weight.

9. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    7'10" TXL....greatest rod ever invented (imho)!

10. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    8.5 ft Redington Crosswater 3/4wt rod and Pflueger Medalist 1492 1/2 reel. As far as reasonableness.....can't get much more reasonable than the $55 (including tax and shipping) I paid for the pair.

11. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Sage VPS lite 8'9 and a Lamiglass 6'6 I use both with a Orvis Battenkill reel. Though I'm looking for a second reel (and perhaps a second rod) so that I can take buddies out on the small creeks that I enjoy fishing.

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

Those are great rods!

Mine is a 389-4 LL with a Bauer SL and the reliable 444 Peach.

13. Islander

Islander Steve

Mine is a TFO Pro Series 8"6" 4pc. Have an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 LA with extra spool on it. One spool with a floating line and the other with a sink-tip. I take it to Lone and Goss when they put the "stockers" in. Plan to do some creek exploring when things warm up.

14. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Mumbles, for a reel you might take a look at the Ross Rhythm. They're a great reel for the money IMO, especially a good used one. I fish them on my lighter weight rigs and am pleased with their value and performance.

15. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

Mumbles,

I am rocking a Cabelas Three Forks Rod with a Prestige Plus 1 Reel. It came with backing and a floating line.

16. Preston

Preston Active Member

Among the excessive number of rods I own, I have two 3-weights that I'm particularly fond of; one is the TFO Pro Series 8'6" and the other is a Loomis 8' Streamdance Metolius Presentation.

I've been disappointed with most reels sized for 3-weight lines. I have a Hardy Marquis 4 and a J. Austin Forbes Super Light Magnesium both of which look like they'd be ideal for a 3-weight but, unfortunately, line left on their extremely small-diameter (about 2 3/4 inches) spools for any length of time comes off the reel looking like a clock spring. It also seems to take forever to regain any length of line. One of the best 3-weight reels I've found is the Cabela's Super Large Arbor in size "0". Its 3" spool (2" ID) allows line to be taken up much more quickly and doesn't coil the line nearly as badly as the smaller diameter reels.

17. Casey Weed

Casey Weed Greenhorn

Well I would have a 3wt setup...But somebody sold it out from under me, but I won't mention any names! bawling: I'm just messin' with you mumbles :rofl: (opps, I mentioned a name) I have a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series w/cabelas RLS Fly reel on the way.

18. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    By all accounts, that is a real value in a rod. They go on sale from time to time and you can get a rod/reel/line for just a few bucks over what the rod costs alone.

I really should pick one up for my "loaner" 3wt.

19. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I have 0 complaints so far. Rod, Reel, Backing, Line, and Rod Tube was ~$90 and works great!

20. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

TFO Finesse 3-wt 8'9", Ross Vexsis Reel; 2-wt is an Orvis Superfine 7'9" with a Battenkill. My 4 is a 10' with a Battenkill (made this one) & I'm waiting for a TFO Finesse 4 8'9" with a Tioga reel. Light rods are a ton of fun & make for a delicate presentation . . . luv 'em!