What is your 3wt setup?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:

scottflycst, I have a Ross Rhythm 2 on my 4wt custom built rod and after getting used to its clicking sound it is really awesome. I like it enough to find one of the smaller versions for the lighter rods.

2. Ed Call

Media:
    Preston, although my first rod was a cabelas I acutally don't have any of their gear currently. I have recently been browsing for small and light reels but also thought a large arbor would be ideal. I don't have Danielsson money, but I thought the Cabelas SLA looked pretty cool.

3. Ed Call

Media:

I deserved that. I had not heard from you and took the money that was right in front of me. I'll still buy you a beer whenever we meet (unless you insist on meeting in the back alley or in the school yard after school).

4. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Lew Parks, gets a second mention today. I have a 6'9" three piece build from him. Set up with a Ross G1 and a Sage 3wt dt line. Only got to fish the rod a few days last October before the winter rains hit in November.

5. Casey Weed

Casey Weed Greenhorn

I'm just bustin your balls man. I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing. I just couldn't waste the opportunity :beer2:

6. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
    Mumbles.
    My wife and I have 2 Sage SP 390-2, one has a old Ross San Miguel-1 Reel,
    The Other SP has a Ross Evolution-1.
    And I just picked up my first new rod in ten years, It's a Z-Axis 390-4 with a Ross Evolution-0 Reel. I think it's the Smallest Reel Ross makes.

Bill.

:thumb:

7. dpenrod

dpenrod Member

i've got an 8'3" cabelas lst with an orvis battenkill midarbor. really like this combo. the midarbor is a little heavy, but seems to balance the rod fine. for a lighter reel, tough to beat the battenkill bar stock series

8. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    The only Cabela's rod that I own is a Clear Creek 7ft, 1wt. It's a dandy little rod and came in a 3wt. But Cabela's discontinued the Clear Creek line of rods last year. The new and improved model they replaced it with is the TQR (Tight Quarters Rod). I think they have a 7.5ft 4pc 3wt in that line. Goes for about $120. Kind of short for Stillwater but I'm sure it's a decent rod for the money judging from experience with my Clear Creek rod so far.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

Three weight....the choice rod for the Yakima on a CALM nice 75 degree day...right? :beer2: :)

10. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I recently acquired my 3 wt setup, hoping to fish some small creeks this summer. Plus I'll be moving to the East coast next year and I hear there will be more opportunity (read: smaller fish) to use a 3 wt setup.

Rod is a Reddington RS4 8' 4 piece. I thoutght about getting the CPS, but wanted the slower action rod. IMO the RS4's are priced way under their performance. And since the price was at closeout (Sportsmans Warehouse), buying the rod was a no-brainer. The rods and prices are so good that I'm thinking about picking up the 10 wt too. You know, just in case.....

I wanted a really lightweight reel and, after seeking out the best deal I could find, got a Sage Click III. Yes, they're brutally overpriced for a click-pawl reel, but the machining is top-notch and it's beautiful to look at. The line and backing weigh way more than the reel! And it holds the line like a champ too :rofl: Definitely not a "bang for the buck" purchase, but I did get a good deal on it. Also on the short list was Hardy Marksman and Lamson Litespeed.

The line's a SA Supra WF3F. Haven't tried this line on anything else, but I've liked all SA lines I've tried, so I suppose I'll like this one.

The worst part about this setup is waiting until June for the damn creeks to open!

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Chad, did you get that 3wt and see the 10wt at the Silverdale Sportsmans? I noted that this store had both of those rods and an 8wt but all others were gone. I had an RS4 7wt and think it was a very nice rod.

12. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Just wondering if your set up is a little tip heavy. The RS4 is not a particularly light rod but the Click III is a superlight reel. It doesn't appear to be a pair that would balance well...just curious.

13. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    A little heavy on the wallet but I built my 'dream rig' 3wt set up last year. It's a Burkheimer 389-4 with an Abel Super2 in platinum finish and an SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout line. I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time with it up on the Forks this summer.

14. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Sportsmans Warehouse in Burlington. I think their fly-fishing stuff gets picked over a lot slower than locations in the "big city". When I bought mine the price was down to $129, now they're $99!!!! That's an incredible price for that rod. Haven't been there in a few weeks; you might want to call to see what's left if you're interested. I think they at least had one of everything on display.

Honestly, I'd have to check on it and see how it balances. I didn't worry about it that much because the whole setup is so light. But, your question did get me wondering if I could have bought smarter - meaning "better balanced". I just did some checking and decided that I'm probably happy. Here's why:

My rod weights 2.97 oz., according to Reddington's website (they must have a kickass scale to get down the the hundredth of an ounce). The lightest rod I know of, the Orvis Helios checks in at 2 oz. for an 8'4". An equivalently priced Sage, the TXL, weighs in at 2 1/4 oz. for a 7'10" model. Taking a look at Sage's more moderately priced rods, weights come in at 2 11/16 and 3 1/16 for the Launch and VT2, respectively. So you're right, I'm at the upper end of weight for moderately priced 3 weights. After looking at a lot more rod weights on other sites, it seems like it takes about $500 more to save less than an ounce!!! Anyway, that was pretty much done to determine what the RS4 weighed compared to other rods.

As for the balance of my rod and reel, I think it might work, even with the "heavier" rod. The reel is 2 1/2 oz., about 85% of the rod's weight. What I noticed right away when the backing and line went on was the big difference in the reel's weight. When the guy handed me the reel with the backing and line on, I remember hefting it and thinking "Where the hell did my lightweight reel go?" On heavier weight rods that doesn't mean as much, because the weight of the line and backing become a smaller percentage of the total package's weight. On my setup I'll guess that the line and backing weigh at least as much as the reel, probably more, making the loaded reel 50% or more of the setup's weight.

That whole discussion brings up this question: If my rod/reel combo is balanced well, makes you wonder if it's possible to "properly" balance one of the ultralight Orvis or Sage rods? I mean, the Click series reels are about as light as you can get, and the lines don't come in lightweight versions.

So where does it balance at? I don't know, I'm at work :rolleyes: I'm really curious about it though. I'm thinking now that I don't know something I should. Brookie, do you know any "rules of thumb" about balancing rods and reels? Anything like "rod weight = reel weight / line weight + backing - azimuth of Jupiter around Saturn". Seriously though, what would I be looking for when evaluating the setup's balance?

15. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

i've got two that i really like.
    one's a diamondglass 7' 3/4wt, and abel creel 1 loaded with a TT3/4.
    and the other's a sage 389LL, and a lamson LP 1.5 lite (clicker) loaded with a DT3 quiet taper line.
    both set ups are really sweet IMO.
    -mike

16. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Member

I like my older Scott Powr Ply 8 1/2 ft 3 wt....with a Hardy Marquiss 4 reel and Wulff TT line. Love that Hardy song.

17. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Mine's a Thomas & Thomas LPS 8'6" 3wt with an Islander IR1 spooled up with an SA Trout WF3F and a Lamson Litespeed 1 with a Stillwater intermediate.

18. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    I have a Winston BIIT 7'6" with a ross rythem #0 and cortland 444 DT4F, I built the rod last summer.

19. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

Media:
    portland oregon, Chico California, Tahoe, Reno NV.
    Fenwick World Class #1 Black/gold made in the USA. Iron feather 3/4wt 7'3".

20. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    When do and how often do you use a 3 weight.

I had one once, and it just didn't get any use. My 4 weight was the tool that was much more appropriate for most of my light line fishing and conditions, and the 3 weight went to someone else who could use it.

Just curious . . .