What is your 3wt setup?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ed Call, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Richard. When they are rising and the wind is not blowing I use the 3wt. I do mostly fish my 4wt and when weather is less than optimal I fish the 5wt. So far I've had some really fun fishing experiences, so very many. One such experience was using dries on that 3wt and landing quite a few mid sized eager risers. Just a conversation thread during a fishing lull.

2. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Sage RPL 386 with a Tioga reel and a floater. The Little Naches loves this rod.

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

Oh, that would be almost 'never'. :thumb:

4. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

389ll-2 w/ cfo III for small creeks I switch to the 289ll:beer1:

5. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Chad, I also sent you a PM. A couple other thoughts....you could use a DT line and cut it in half and use 12lb micron backing to eliminate a little weight but in the end it would be little. This would be OK for small stream situations where you aren't casting more than 30-35ft nor expecting anything large that would make any kind of run on you. Most times you'd only consider such set up for a 2wt of lesser weight rod and/or where you're using a very small reel say 2 1/2" or smaller. I think Cortland also makes a short 45ft lightweight fly line of some kind as I saw something like that mentioned on another board recently. Also for the lightest 4wt/5wt rods out there, I think Orvis's new Helios Ion's are the lightest rods I've seen....both are barely over 1oz but they certainly aren't moderately priced. Lastly as I put in my PM to you, the balancing of a light/ultralight set up is less noticeable/problematic since it is so light, so this may be much to do about nothing. :ray1:

6. Mikey

Mikey Member

Sage SLT 376-4 with an old style Battenkill reel. Love it. Small enough to be a good pack rod & fits in a carryon dufflebag as well.

7. Jadon Berry

Jadon Berry Member

I love the Echo 3 wt! You can't find one as good for twice the price. Also has lifetime guarantee. I just broke mine in half (slammed in a car door, you can't break one of these without seriously mistreating it) and they got it back to me in less than a week! Great service.

I'm using an old reel without drag that I found at a garage sale. I love it for low weight fishing.

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Can't believe I never posted in this one. Not that my 3 wt is any great shakes. I fish a H&H tradition kit 7'9" (first rod I built) with a TFO I click-pawl reel. The rod isn't great, but I gues a 3 wt doesn't have to do much. I like the reel for it's traditional sound/looks - matches a small rod nicely.

9. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

SAGE 389LL GRAPHITE III 2PC,505L REEL,444SLWF4F OR 444SLWF3F DEPENDS ON THE WIND ALSO A SAGE 389SLT,505L REEL,S/A NYMPH LINE IN WF4F AND FINALLY A CORTLAND GRF1000 7' 3/4,504L REEL,444SLWF3F...GOTA LOVE THE 3WT RODS...

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

How would you differentiate the LL and the SLT in the 3 weight? Just curious, I have thre 389 LL and almost picked up a 389 SLT, but backed out not having cast it before.

11. Zack Leake

Zack Leake The user formerly known as "Zekester"

Ditto. Cheap, and the quality seems to be pretty darn good. Been pretty impressed with the Cabela's stuff so far. :thumb:

I have yet to catch anything on it though. :hmmm: I love the handling on it as well. Although, after casting that for awhile and switching back to my 6wt, it feels like I'm swinging a friggin' log.

~Z

12. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

Porter,
    It's just a little stiffer in the middle,which works very well in windy cond.also works nice for chrono. fishing,decent on the dries,but I prefer the LL for dries.I didn't care for the 4pc slt to stiff so I went with 2pc.
    RPL/LL

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Thanks, yeah the LL = Dries :thumb: The only other rod I have tried that I like in the three weight was the Sage TXL, one sweet little rod, but there are many I have not tried.