What is your favorite color of chironomid

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by cutthroatking, Mar 29, 2009.

1. cutthroatking screw work lets fish

Rosalia, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Its f!#king snowing again so instead of fishing its another day at the vice.With lake season upon us I've been working on my stillwater boxes and was wondering other than black or red what colors of chironomids you tie.I also use green and gray on some waters,like coffeepot gray seems to do real well.
  2. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Up here in BC , we`re permitted to fish two rods if we`re the only occupant of the boat , so I always start off with a bloodworm under an indicator on one rod , and a black with silver rib on the other . Always .When I get the first fish (usually on the bloodworm) , I`ll do a quick throat pump to have a look/see at what they`re actually feeding on . The range of colors is broad . I tie them in shades of black , brown , green , gray , red , and for one lake in particular , blue . I use flashabou for the body on pretty much all my chironomids , and by using different color ribbing , beads , gill material (or gill-less) , sizes etc , I have a lot to choose from .

Thankfully , the more I get to know certain lakes , the more predictable they become . There is a nearby lake I like to fish in the spring that has a major hatch of lime green #18 bugs that I can always count on . Another has a huge hatch of brown bombers in August . These things are huge , up to a #6 3xl , and are a lot of fun to fish .
  3. Jacob Peterson Member

Olympia, Washington
    last year i had a box and a half filled with them. I had gray, purple, red, blaxk, olive tan, brown, i found you only really need black and brown, but for really finicky fish, its good to have alot of colors. You canadians r so lucky you get to fish with two rods:mad:
  4. cutthroatking screw work lets fish

Rosalia, Washington
    I fish a black with blue rib with some success.I also tye all colors in #10 to #18 hooks

john
  5. Jacob Peterson Member

Olympia, Washington
    Thats the way to go. Ive also tried dubbung with a ziplock bag strip wrapped up the shank. I does a good imitation of the air bubbles that they trap in there skin to get to the surface.
  6. bloom Member

Alberta
    Most prominent body colours for me are (in this order):
    Black
    Black
    Black
    Silver (chromies)
    Brown
    Green
    Red

Black with different ribs (silver, red, or silver and red) is the way to go for me.
  7. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Yes , but we can`t fish with two flies on one rod . At least here in BC . Go figure .
  8. mastercaster Member

Surrey, B.C.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Exactly! You get to use droppers....we're the only province in the entire country that can't. Wish I knew why because it's such an effective way to fish!

My go to patterns are static bag chromies tied over different color threads usually with copper or white bead heads.
  9. Jacob Peterson Member

Olympia, Washington
    Ya, i just checked the regs, we can have three flies on a line!!!!!!! hehehehehehehehehehehehe i dont feel bad anymore:p
  10. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Turkey tail... covers the browns, greys, and blacks all at once. Ties very thin. Second in line is Maroon, not red
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    I use the silver "chromie" most of the time when I fish chronies.
  12. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Black with silver or black with red rib

Second choice green with red rib.

chromie is next choice..

Still got boxes with every color imaginable, but these are my top picks...
  13. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    stillwater in this order
    Red
    Black
    Olive

and on spring creeks tiny (#20-22) clear micro larvalace over olive-brown thread body, couple wraps black crystalflash thorax, tiny creme antron gills and gold bh. good eats.
  14. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    The "Liquid Lace Ultimate" has got to be my favorite followed by a tan/brown/red/black one then a lt. olive green

Attached Files:

15. Connor Parrish Member

Covington, Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    thats a damn good lookin fly randy
  16. Loopy Member

St Albans Old England
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    It's predominately black for me but you may like to see this tie of an unusual black buzzer (chironomid) from an accomplished Scottish tyer which did very well for me last year.

Davie McPhail ties..............

17. devon flyfisher Member

devon,england
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I agree with Loopy, its black for me too, from a size 12 down to 18 does me well.
    Cheers
    Richard
  18. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
  19. grizz New Member

Campbell River, B.C. Canada
    3 flies on one line, hmm sounds like a herring gig. hee haa.
    Always been one to fish one rod properly, than two half ass.
    As for colours, u always think u have it covered, till u run in to someone at a lake using something totally different.
  20. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    I agree with Grizz. I find it much easier to fish one rod than fumble with 2 when things are hot. The second line either ends up tangled with the first or the fish comes off while trying to get the second line out of the way. Where we're fishing in BC ; the fish are bigger and you don't have all that much time to fool around as they are trying to spool you.